E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
bwallace530

My Ride: 325
Thinking about buying a 87 325is

I sold my other bimmer. And always wanted to get an older one. It is going to just sit in my garage as a project.

http://bend.craigslist.org/cto/2801967033.html

the only bad on this is the timing belt broke and he thinks it has bent valves.

Does the top end going to need to be rebuilt?

The car looks good I am going to go see it tomorrow. Just thought I would get some advice and see how much it would cost me for parts.
bwallace530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
kd7iwp

My Ride: 2001 325i
Personally, I prefer an '88 or better yet, an '89. They have ellipsoid headlights, better looking front air dams, and better taillights. I had an '88 before and it was an awesome car. If the timing belt snapped it will be quite a bit of work I'd think. You're definitely looking at a few new valves (perhaps the valve guides as well). Pelican Parts has a good writeup on how to remove the camshaft since you need to be careful that it doesn't get bent. There sure is much more room under the hood on the E30's than the E46. The E46's engine is slanted so much that you can't reach the exhaust side from above, it's no problem on the E30. Whichever way you go, have fun.
kd7iwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
bwallace530

Thanks for the reply. Just want to get a lil project going and always wanted a e30. So if I can pick it up for $500 to $800 do you think that it will be worth it to rebuild the engine?

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Old 02-12-2012, 12:29 AM   #4
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Yeah, timing belt wreaks havoc on everything since it's an interference engine. Depending on what rpm it broke at and and how quickly it was shut down, it could be pretty bad.

However...for that money it's a good buy, even if you have to replace the entire engine. (M20s are basically disposable--find a totalled e30 with body damage) Try to haggle down to 700 if you can.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:34 AM   #5
bwallace530

So a good find and if I can get for that price then?

Hope too go check it out tomorrow and pull the valve cover and see how bad it is.

Is there anything I should be looking for besides from the bent valves. Like the e46 sub frame problems.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #6
Toofpik

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Think about ur goal with this car... If u wanna get it running ur gonna have to replace the valves... If u want it to run like new, rebuild the entire engine... If u want it to run better than new, swap an engine from a newer car
Old 02-12-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Might wanna try bf.c. Wrong section/forum

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:46 AM   #8
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Pulling the valve cover won't help you, lol! Some of the valves are probably broken off, and there is probably some damage to the pistons. Like I said, people just find a used M20 and swap it in, since they're so cheap. Decent engine with decent miles for $500 all day long.

As far as other stuff to worry about, not really. I'd just look for rust and solid, up-to-date mechanicals. It's a given that many of the hoses and lines will be old...same for bushings and rusty bolts. Old car, use common sense. Generally a Hennarot car that doesn't look faded has been well taken care of, which is why I say that's probably a good buy.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:52 AM   #9
bwallace530

Thanks for all the advice yes I know its the wrong forum. I know alot of you have e30s so I thought I would ask here first.

I would love for the car to someday look like this.
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/2847042954.html
Old 02-12-2012, 06:08 AM   #10
BimmerJustin
I SHOP @ TURNER MOTORSPORT

My Ride: 02325CI,03MIN,06VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
Pulling the valve cover won't help you, lol! Some of the valves are probably broken off, and there is probably some damage to the pistons. Like I said, people just find a used M20 and swap it in, since they're so cheap. Decent engine with decent miles for $500 all day long.

As far as other stuff to worry about, not really. I'd just look for rust and solid, up-to-date mechanicals. It's a given that many of the hoses and lines will be old...same for bushings and rusty bolts. Old car, use common sense. Generally a Hennarot car that doesn't look faded has been well taken care of, which is why I say that's probably a good buy.
Exactly what he said I got an 85 325e for free that had snapped the timing belt on start up. Luckily it just needed a new head, hoses and misc junk. I didnt finish the job since I never had time between work and school...and money...lol. I gave it to a friend...since the $500 we agreed on never materialized in my hand... I gave him a spare motor and an 885 head (out of a "i" car). The 325e is a 2.7L and putting an "i" head on it essentially makes it a hybrid. Here is a pic I found of it. I really miss her though. I will be getting another one once I get back to the States.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:48 AM   #11
bwallace530

I guess the head is busted where the cam shaft slides in.

Is it going to be better to replace the engine or the head?

If its that bad what else probably needs to be replaced?

Old 02-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
bwallace530

Is anyone selling a e30 m20 head?

E30tech is taking for every to activate my account.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #13
bwallace530

I thought a lot of you have e30's

Old 02-23-2012, 05:32 AM   #14
NyC35AV

My Ride: 99' 323i zsp
E30 tech is prob gonna take forever to activate your account if ever. You might want to sign up to r3vlimited. Com and look in the for sale section. That car will need a new. Head at the very least so maybe you might wanna think about swapping an m50/m52 motor. Look for rust it'll kill any car and good luck with tje project if you do purchase it.
NyC35AV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:41 AM   #15
bwallace530

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyC35AV View Post
E30 tech is prob gonna take forever to activate your account if ever. You might want to sign up to r3vlimited. Com and look in the for sale section. That car will need a new. Head at the very least so maybe you might wanna think about swapping an m50/m52 motor. Look for rust it'll kill any car and good luck with tje project if you do purchase it.
Well sense I couldn't find a new head for less then I was getting the car for. I didn't buy. And e30 still has not avtivacted my account lol