E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 09:32 PM   #1
RogueStatus37

My Ride: '04 330ci
Cooking Help

So im 18 years old, a freshman in college, and i live with my parents when im not away at school. My family is very italian so when we get together, its always italian food being made, which i know how to make (anything parm, chicken cutlets, pastas etc...). My father cant even make cereal, so my cooking abilities are way beyond his. My mom is an alright cook, but she doesnt really like to cook. At dinner, my aunt or grandmother cook everything, and at bbq's, my uncles always end up grilling the steaks/burger/bbq.

I love cooking, and i know the basics of cooking, and how to make basic stuff like:

Omlettes
Chicken Cutlets
Burgers
Pasta
Some sauces
Quesadillas
Cooking grilled chicken
Scrambled eggs

and i know the basics of cooking:
Sautee-ing (chopped onions in oil/butter)
Grilling
Frying
Boiling

But i want to learn how to get fancier with my cooking. I want to be able to make full meals. I look around and see people making ribs, roasted chicken, and steaks, and seafood and all that. How would one go about learning how to really cook and make fancier delicious meals like some of the people on here do?

2004 330Ci ZSP 6-Speed

Blackout grills l Smoked Reflectors l CCFL Angel Eyes l Gloss Black Roof Vinyl l BSW Speaker Upgrade l 3.46 Open Diff l BMW Performance SSKl M3 Style Trunk Spoiler
H&R Sport Cup Spring Kit l RHO Tow Hook Plate l Nokya Hyper-yellow Fogs l Stainless Steel Headers l Tuner Slotted Brake Kit l AXXIS/PBR Metal Master Pads l BMW AUX Input Kit

Last edited by RogueStatus37; 11-24-2011 at 09:37 PM.
RogueStatus37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
honestly... to make this as simple and fun as possible, watch a crapload of episodes of Good Eats. Alton Brown is the man IMO, and he really knows how to explain the in and outs of how to cook food a certain way, and why.

I love him lol
Old 11-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Buy the joy of cooking and find some tasty sounding recipes and just make them. Every recipe you make will build skills.

Also buy a thermopen instant read thermometer and learn how to nail your temps.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Bimmer
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
Hobbes
Nonsense Generator

My Ride: 2006 X5 4.8is
Send a message via AIM to Hobbes
http://www.epicurious.com/
Old 11-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
RogueStatus37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
honestly... to make this as simple and fun as possible, watch a crapload of episodes of Good Eats. Alton Brown is the man IMO, and he really knows how to explain the in and outs of how to cook food a certain way, and why.

I love him lol
Food Network?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
Buy the joy of cooking and find some tasty sounding recipes and just make them. Every recipe you make will build skills.

Also buy a thermopen instant read thermometer and learn how to nail your temps.

Any recommended good books, but relatively simple?

2004 330Ci ZSP 6-Speed

Blackout grills l Smoked Reflectors l CCFL Angel Eyes l Gloss Black Roof Vinyl l BSW Speaker Upgrade l 3.46 Open Diff l BMW Performance SSKl M3 Style Trunk Spoiler
H&R Sport Cup Spring Kit l RHO Tow Hook Plate l Nokya Hyper-yellow Fogs l Stainless Steel Headers l Tuner Slotted Brake Kit l AXXIS/PBR Metal Master Pads l BMW AUX Input Kit

Old 11-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueStatus37 View Post

Any recommended good books, but relatively simple?
The Joy of Cooking is a classic - many would say outdated, but it's really, really thorough and well organized for someone starting out. The index is 70 pages long. The recipes are generally intermediate in complexity. If someone wanted to only buy one cookbook, that's a great one.

brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:08 AM   #7
RogueStatus37

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
The Joy of Cooking is a classic - many would say outdated, but it's really, really thorough and well organized for someone starting out. The index is 70 pages long. The recipes are generally intermediate in complexity. If someone wanted to only buy one cookbook, that's a great one.

Okay cool. Maybe ill ask for it for christmas. Thanks

2004 330Ci ZSP 6-Speed

Old 11-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
ride365

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
Alton Brown is great for what he does, but I see him more like a novelty act. I wouldn't recommend him for a beginner because he is so focused on doing things his way.

"How to cook a turkey? Well, you have to go buy a Coleman 27.3 gallon cooler, 2 kilograms of dry ice and aluminum pinking sheers."

No, I definitely wouldn't recommend him to someone looking to get started in cooking. He is pure entertainment. But I think the general recommendation of watching cooking shows is a safe bet.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride365 View Post
Alton Brown is great for what he does, but I see him more like a novelty act. I wouldn't recommend him for a beginner because he is so focused on doing things his way.

"How to cook a turkey? Well, you have to go buy a Coleman 27.3 gallon cooler, 2 kilograms of dry ice and aluminum pinking sheers."

No, I definitely wouldn't recommend him to someone looking to get started in cooking. He is pure entertainment. But I think the general recommendation of watching cooking shows is a safe bet.
lol... while i do partially agree with you, I think that a good amount of his shows, if not most of them, are very innovative and informative.

he is extremely concentrated on temperatures, cooking times, and explains molecularly what happens. as a beginner, i think it is crucial to know how and why something happens, it makes you understand on such a better level IMO

For example... and yes, its a dump topic but its the quickest one that came to mind. You could season a steak perfectly, cook it perfectly, etc... Good Eats is that show you watch that will tell you to let the steak rest (with an excuse to why) and also to keep it elevated that way the steak doesn't sit in a puddle and kill half your crust. Ever since I saw that episode, I let me steaks rest on a baking rack, or if i only pan sear, i'll get some aluminum foil, crinkle it up, and make a 3 inch "donut" out of it and put the steak on that for a few minutes so the steak stays elevated

Dumb example, but you get my point
Old 12-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
RogueStatus37

Anyone else?

2004 330Ci ZSP 6-Speed

Old 12-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #11
ride365

Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters and Essential Pepin by Jacques Pepin are 2 impressive cookbooks of the classics that I saw recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueStatus37 View Post
Anyone else?
So far people have suggested TV shows, books, and just cooking. What other types of suggestions are you looking for?
Old 12-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #12
accolade

My Ride: O||||||O
Practice, practice, practice. That's it. Don't shoot for stars when you first start making more complex dishes. You will make bad food, it happens. Find a style that you want and just experiment with it, with flavors, foods, everything. Cook books are good to start, they will give you the basic idea of what spices/seasoning go good together. They will also introduce you to new ingredients. Once you get the knack you can use them to get ideas. Start taking the things you know how to make and change them, do it a different way, anything.

Also, ask questions here. If you see something you like, or want to know how to do something, let us know.
accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
RogueStatus37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride365 View Post
Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters and Essential Pepin by Jacques Pepin are 2 impressive cookbooks of the classics that I saw recently.

So far people have suggested TV shows, books, and just cooking. What other types of suggestions are you looking for?
I meant as far as specific shows or books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accolade View Post
Practice, practice, practice. That's it. Don't shoot for stars when you first start making more complex dishes. You will make bad food, it happens. Find a style that you want and just experiment with it, with flavors, foods, everything. Cook books are good to start, they will give you the basic idea of what spices/seasoning go good together. They will also introduce you to new ingredients. Once you get the knack you can use them to get ideas. Start taking the things you know how to make and change them, do it a different way, anything.

Also, ask questions here. If you see something you like, or want to know how to do something, let us know.
I try to do that since I love hand on cooking but we dont have **** for ingredients at my house. Sounds like im going food shopping when i get home.

2004 330Ci ZSP 6-Speed

Last edited by RogueStatus37; 12-12-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:41 AM   #14
Mr.Mustard

My Ride: sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
thanks, this will come in handy
Mr.Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #15
Chrissy

My Ride: 335i
Good eats fo sho!
You can always get the better crocker cookbook and just start making recipes. Thats how I learned how to cook when I was 22!