E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #81
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Really getting back to feeling like my old self. My water intake is consistently >3L, not including the liquid in shakes or energy drinks (I usually have at least one of each per day which probably totals another 24-32oz of liquid).

Added back in a casein shake before bed and have noticed a direct result. I look fuller and have better appetite in the morning. I might have to add some fat though, because it's causing an old issue to come back...I wake up at 4-5am STARVING and my half-asleep choices are not always great. The almond butter I have should work well for that.

I've been eating a my own "healthy" hamburgers, too. Just two patties of 93% lean ground beef with a slice of colby jack on a wheat bun. It comes to about 50g protein, 40g carbs, and maybe 10g of fat (I think I ball parked all of those numbers slightly high).

And with that, Friday night abs/cardio, a few minutes of grocery shopping, and then a Skype date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #82
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Really getting back to feeling like my old self. My water intake is consistently >3L, not including the liquid in shakes or energy drinks (I usually have at least one of each per day which probably totals another 24-32oz of liquid).

Added back in a casein shake before bed and have noticed a direct result. I look fuller and have better appetite in the morning. I might have to add some fat though, because it's causing an old issue to come back...I wake up at 4-5am STARVING and my half-asleep choices are not always great. The almond butter I have should work well for that.

I've been eating a my own "healthy" hamburgers, too. Just two patties of 93% lean ground beef with a slice of colby jack on a wheat bun. It comes to about 50g protein, 40g carbs, and maybe 10g of fat (I think I ball parked all of those numbers slightly high).

And with that, Friday night abs/cardio, a few minutes of grocery shopping, and then a Skype date.
I did the same. 97% high lean, a little chopped onions, and pinch of seasonal with a slice of American cheese on 2 slices of bread.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #83
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
You guys are making me hungry and I just had a protein shake in milk at 8, 5 jumbo eggs, 5 slices of bacon, and about 2 handfuls of blueberries at about 9.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #84
dwass325

Long week and I feel like crap this morning. I'm going downstairs now to try to get some cardio done.

I've really been busting my butt with work and some other things and it's catching up to me. The rest of my day will include cleaning my apartment, doing some research for work, and then doing back at the gym tonight. Plan on having two of those hamburgers today - looking forward to that.

Quote:
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

Old 03-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #85
dwass325

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
I did the same. 97% high lean, a little chopped onions, and pinch of seasonal with a slice of American cheese on 2 slices of bread.
I've been pretty strapped for time lately and buying the pre-formed patties, so I can't mix in onions and whatnot. I just put some sodium-free Mrs. Dash on the patties and then throw them on the George Foreman.

Quote:

Old 03-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #86
DME46

My Ride: has free candy.
I noticed an immediate difference when taking casein before bed as well, that shiit is amazing. Apparently if you were to take straight casein vs whey, you would gain less fat and more muscle.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #87
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by DME46 View Post
I noticed an immediate difference when taking casein before bed as well, that shiit is amazing. Apparently if you were to take straight casein vs whey, you would gain less fat and more muscle.
You mean casein instead of whey? What difference do you notice? I notice it helps with soreness a lot.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #88
DME46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
You mean casein instead of whey? What difference do you notice? I notice it helps with soreness a lot.
http://bale.wordpress.com/2007/07/09/whey-vs-casein/

Pretty interesting study... wish I could find the actual source of it.

As far as casein, I wake up feeling leaner and with a healthier appetite when I take it before bed.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
Old 03-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #89
BMW_Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DME46 View Post
So you're saying absolutely NO whey and all casein would be better? I have a hard time believing less fat from just that...
Old 03-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #90
DME46

Quote:
So you're saying absolutely NO whey and all casein would be better? I have a hard time believing less fat from just that...
That's what the study said. Something with whey having a strong initial impact on protein synthesis, but short... while casein is prolonged.

"In one study, researchers gave healthy subjects 30 grams of either whey protein or casein protein and made several measures of the anabolic and catabolic effect for 7 hours after the meal.[2] Whey protein resulted in a rapid increase in blood amino acids and protein synthesis, but it was short-lived. Casein, on the other hand, resulted in a prolonged increase in blood amino acids that resulted in a 34% reduction in protein breakdown. The net protein balance remained more positive after intake of casein protein over a 7-hour period. The superior long-lasting effect of casein was attributed to a delayed gastric emptying and slower absorption rate from the gastrointestinal tract to the blood."

http://www.nutritionexpress.com/show...?articleid=787

They still suggest that you include both, casein before bed and whey in the morning and after workouts... but they both can also be used alone and in combination to "exploit their unique biologic effects."

As far as fat loss, the study said:

"At 12 weeks, the average percent body fat with diet alone decreased from 27% to 25%, the casein protein group decreased from 26% to 18% and the whey protein group from 27% to 23%. The average fat loss was 5.5, 15.4 and 9.3 pounds in the three groups respectively."

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
Old 03-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #91
BMW_Matt

Does that consist of the subjects ONLY taking those and not working out, or do they workout and take one or the other? It will make a difference in the results.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #92
DME46

Quote:
Does that consist of the subjects ONLY taking those and not working out, or do they workout and take one or the other? It will make a difference in the results.
The article is posted in #88.

They were exercising and using either a low-calorie diet alone, or a low calorie diet with casein, or a low calorie diet with whey.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
Old 03-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #93
jmcdolej

My Ride: 328i-GONE ;(
Quote:
So for someone trying to drop weight would this be a good meal. Where do you find meat that lean?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...670&highlight=

The story of the "thing" in my sig!!!!!!
jmcdolej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #94
dwass325

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdolej View Post
So for someone trying to drop weight would this be a good meal. Where do you find meat that lean?
Good meal for anybody. I get mine at a Super Target.

Quote:

Old 03-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #95
jmcdolej

My Ride: 328i-GONE ;(
Can you explain what a casein shake is? Meal replacement? Supplement? Ever heard of shakeology? Same thing?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...670&highlight=

The story of the "thing" in my sig!!!!!!
jmcdolej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #96
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Can you explain what a casein shake is? Meal replacement? Supplement? Ever heard of shakeology? Same thing?
it's a type of protein often found in dairy. It's in powder form just like whey but your body absorbs it a much slower pace so it's good to drink before bed because you can digest the protein over a longer period of time.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #97
BMW_Matt

Quote:
Walmart, giant, or any store...
Old 03-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #98
dwass325

Been a while since I did this. Did eight reps (well below parallel) without much strain. Didn't want to go heavier without a trustworthy spot though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1330910970.660399.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	440387  

Quote:

Old 03-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #99
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Been a while since I did this. Did eight reps (well below parallel) without much strain. Didn't want to go heavier without a trustworthy spot though.
I never understood the need for a spotter when you're in a half rack. Not much a spotter can do with 405lbs anyway.

I fail all the time in my garage with no spotter. Just ride it down to the bottom and drop it on the rails.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #100
dwass325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
I never understood the need for a spotter when you're in a half rack. Not much a spotter can do with 405lbs anyway.

I fail all the time in my garage with no spotter. Just ride it down to the bottom and drop it on the rails.
1. Just something I don't like (failing down to the rails).
2. This half rack is the lowest one I've used. I don't trust that the height is sufficient to not hurt myself.

Quote: