E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
chad h

My Ride: '01 330i Manual
Anyone ever just wanna get rid of their e46 sometimes?

I've had my 330 since the end of november. I loved it when I first got it as I was coming from a e30 318 that was beat to crap.

Now, I find myself hating worrying about my car all the time. Worrying about it breaking down etc. Since I got it, i've replaced transmission fluid, the oil, and washed it about weekly, and today I am changing the thermostat. It just seems like an awful lot of maintenance compared to my old e30 that i could keep going and going with. It also seems like new scratches show up every time I wash it, which is pretty depressing. I'm at the point where I'm considering selling it and buying a very good condition e30 325i convertible, but I feel like I'll miss the newer car I have now. My first idea was to get a honda of a similar year of the 330, but i can't stand the way they feel/look.
chad h is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
no.

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Not really since my car has been pretty reliable - nothing ever actually broke on this car. I just do the maintenance at the proper intervals
Old 03-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
Sometimes

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
EJL486

My Ride: E46, E34
I know someone who is in the market if its 5/6MT. PM me if you're serious.

2003 325i 5MT Pics of Car
1995 530i 5MT
1986 535i 5MT sold
http://www.bmwusfactory.com
http://www.thebmwpartstore.com
PSN: EJL486 - Actively Playing: GT5, Battlefield 3, Madden '12
EJL486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
JayKayo
Account closed at users request

My Ride: 2005 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to JayKayo
The guy that I bought my angel eyes from said the same things. He owns 4 BMWs- but none are the "newer" models (E46, E9x, E6x, etc.).
I will agree that the E46 has more problems than say, the E36 but still. Aesthetics-wise, I'd still prefer the E46 and overall, it's a little more work to maintain it but I'm glad to do it.
Personally, I think the E9xs and new F30s look like crap but models earlier than the E46 look too old which is why I got the E46. But, to each his own.
JayKayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
Viktimize

My Ride: 2002 325i,2003 330ci
I love the car, but it does piss me off time to time. It picks the absolute worst times to break stuff. I don't mind working on the car, and most jobs are even an easy fix on this thing. But every time it breaks down, I'm up north for work where there is no dealer available for parts. So I'm stuck with no car while waiting on parts I order online.

If I had some spare cash right now I would just order every possible piece that is known as a common problem to these cars, replace all of it up front and hope to avoid a breakdown.
Viktimize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
whyzee125

My Ride: 330ci with 3 pedals.
I felt that way a lot. I sold it. And I miss it. Don't do it, because when it comes down to it every car in the world has issues, and a 330 is honestly the most well rounded car ive driven to date. And ive driven several hundred cars. Keep it, I guarantee you'll regret selling it. I know I do

948whp on the butt dyno.
whyzee125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
SweetBMW

My Ride: 318CIA
Everyone's gonna want to get rid of their car regardless of what it is, sooner or later. I've put at least 10 grand in my car in aftermarket mods and engine swap over the last year or so, plus the 30 grand for the car when i bought it. But sometimes the maintenance and the upkeep gets too much. like today, i posted an ad putting it for sale, then took it back down after i took her for an evening ride.....

Tough love,but love nonetheless.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
sirbilly

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad h View Post
Since I got it, i've replaced transmission fluid, the oil, and washed it about weekly, and today I am changing the thermostat. It just seems like an awful lot of maintenance compared to my old e30 that i could keep going and going with.

If all you've done is change the fluids and you think that a lot of maintenance to be done on a car

I've own my 330i for over a year now and it drives like a champ for being 11 years old. Staying up on maintenance is a must for any car if you want it to last.
sirbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
auto180sx

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 330Ci
I thought about selling mine, generally after dropping 500 or so bucks into parts alone... Then I drive it.

I love my car, and it wont be any time soon that she'll be sold. Good gas millage, reliable, easy to work on, a blast to drive, great on long trips...

OKI BMW
BMW CCA Member #444186
auto180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
Perfect_Balance

My Ride: 2005 ZHP
Every day, yet there are times I don't.

BMW's reputation is pretty much shot with this car, in my eyes. After reading about issues, experiencing a few myself, and the over all acceptability of owners that a car would require such constant upkeep I've decided that BMWs as a whole are very overrated and over hyped.

People respect the car though, I will say that. It's taken very serious over cars that have more reliability and performance (Infiniti's G line comes to mind). Still, you have to drive your car and you have to pay for whatever repairs and maintenance come up. Seriously weight the anticipated financial responsibility against the pleasure of owning and driving it.

The $ to satisfaction ratio just isn't high enough and that's what pushes me away. I love the way it looks and besides the lackluster acceleration and annoyingly placed armrest it feels good to drive, but just not that good.
Perfect_Balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #13
golf_234

My Ride: E90
i loved my e46, but was running into the same things as you and finally it just ended up more sense to me to upgrade.. I have to say the 1 series is a phenomenal step up. I really do like this car.

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
TekNoire7

My Ride: 328i
As a college student I just want to get rid of it sometimes because I don't have the money to do all that I want to the car. I want to throw on some CSL rims with a CSL trunk, maybe an ACS splitter in the front. I've spent so much god dam money on maintenance in the past two years, it's just money I don't have. There is so much I still want / need to fix as well like the sunroof and a dent, but sometimes I just want to give up. I know with like 2500 I could actually finally be happy with my car but it takes me months as a part time worker and full time student to make that. Someone want to donate $2500?
Old 03-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #15
golf_234

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekNoire7 View Post
As a college student I just want to get rid of it sometimes because I don't have the money to do all that I want to the car. I want to throw on some CSL rims with a CSL trunk, maybe an ACS splitter in the front. I've spent so much god dam money on maintenance in the past two years, it's just money I don't have. There is so much I still want / need to fix as well like the sunroof and a dent, but sometimes I just want to give up. I know with like 2500 I could actually finally be happy with my car but it takes me months as a part time worker and full time student to make that. Someone want to donate $2500?
That was a large part of my reasoning as well, after completing THOUSANDs and thousands of dollars of maintenance on my 325i, it was still just not where i wanted it to be, the interior is one thing i do miss, i had the natural brown interior and it was IMMACULATE. but at the end of the day i looked at an upcoming list of

brakes - $500 diy
ccv - $200
new tires - $900
refinish panel due to rust - $799
window regulators all around - $500 diy
dent removal all around - $250
wheel refinish - $200
sunroof repair - $100
winter wheels/tires - $600
b/c pillars (already did a) - $300

and that was after THOUSANDS of dollars of previous maintenace , floor mats, cooling system overhaul, oil, spark plugs, air, window regulators, trans fluid change, 02 sensors, brake fluid, speakers, etc. finally i was just like i am throwing so much money into a car with 115k miles, what am i doing. so i pulled the trigger on the 1er. I traded in the e46 for about 7k and put that toward the 27k 135i. so i financed 20k which is about $400 a month , but i usually overpay to about $600 to lower my paid interest. granted it is still expensive, but it is completely under warranty, including maintenance. if something goes wrong, i have a brand new 3 series loaner and just drop it off and pick it up. and if i am unhappy i can just sell it and i have 7k equity in it. already have had my brake fluid and oil changed free, seatbelt tensioner done free, cabin air filter. Fired up the A/c and it wasn't blowing cold, i drop it off thursday with a loaner set up for the weekend and they do the top to bottom for you. It's just a different setup. I would say if your e46 is a well equipped 330 stick with it, but if not there are better options out there.

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP

Last edited by golf_234; 03-05-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #16
TekNoire7

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
That was a large part of my reasoning as well, after completing THOUSANDs and thousands of dollars of maintenance on my 325i, it was still just not where i wanted it to be, the interior is one thing i do miss, i had the natural brown interior and it was IMMACULATE. but at the end of the day i looked at an upcoming list of

brakes - $500 diy
ccv - $200
new tires - $900
refinish panel due to rust - $799
window regulators all around - $500 diy
dent removal all around - $250
wheel refinish - $200
sunroof repair - $100
winter wheels/tires - $600

and that was after THOUSANDS of dollars of previous maintenace , floor mats, cooling system overhaul, oil, spark plugs, air, window regulators, trans fluid change, 02 sensors, brake fluid, speakers, etc. finally i was just like i am throwing so much money into a car with 115k miles, what the **** am i doing. so i pulled the trigger on the 1er. I traded in the e46 for about 7k and put that toward the 27k 135i. so i financed 20k which is about $400 a month , but i usually overpay to about $600 to lower my paid interest. granted it is still expensive, but it is completely under warranty, including maintenance. if something goes wrong, i have a brand new 3 series loaner and just drop it off and pick it up. my A/C wasnt blowing cold this week, i drop it off thursday with a loaner set up for the weekend.
That was exactly what I was looking into, but again since I'm a college student I'm trying to be completely independent from my parents and I cannot afford car payments right now. I was looking into a bone stock 128i with literally no options brand new but I didn't know If that was worth it either. I only have 95k on the car myself and since I drive 80 miles a day, it wouldn't be worth putting a new 1er through that abuse.

Edit: you just reminded me of a bunch of other crap that I still have to do like the A pillars. Fvck I'm all depressed now I'm seriously thinking instead of wasting my money on mods anymore I should just invest whatever extra money I make. Don't know where to start though.

Last edited by TekNoire7; 03-05-2012 at 03:16 PM.
TekNoire7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #17
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
Quote:
That was exactly what I was looking into, but again since I'm a college student I'm trying to be completely independent from my parents and I cannot afford car payments right now. I was looking into a bone stock 128i with literally no options brand new but I didn't know If that was worth it either. I only have 95k on the car myself and since I drive 80 miles a day, it wouldn't be worth putting a new 1er through that abuse.
honda civic

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #18
TekNoire7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325inthe510 View Post
honda civic
Which isn't a bad idea at all, but I'd rather drive my 328i into the ground.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #19
golf_234

Quote:

Edit: you just reminded me of a bunch of other crap that I still have to do like the A pillars. Fvck I'm all depressed now I'm seriously thinking instead of wasting my money on mods anymore I should just invest whatever extra money I make. Don't know where to start though.
hahahah. oh no ya it really depends on your situation, i dont think the bone stock 1er would be worth it, you want the updated technology, comfort access, adaptive xenons, heated seats etc to be the icing on the cake. it sounds like for you the best route is to just keep it clean and running and save $. no sense in putting a lot of miles on a new car.
ah, the downfalls of being OCD lol

Old 03-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #20
Blueandwhite85

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad h View Post
I've had my 330 since the end of november. I loved it when I first got it as I was coming from a e30 318 that was beat to crap.

Now, I find myself hating worrying about my car all the time. Worrying about it breaking down etc. Since I got it, i've replaced transmission fluid, the oil, and washed it about weekly, and today I am changing the thermostat. It just seems like an awful lot of maintenance compared to my old e30 that i could keep going and going with. It also seems like new scratches show up every time I wash it, which is pretty depressing. I'm at the point where I'm considering selling it and buying a very good condition e30 325i convertible, but I feel like I'll miss the newer car I have now. My first idea was to get a honda of a similar year of the 330, but i can't stand the way they feel/look.
If that is all that you have had to do to the car since you purchased it, **** and be happy that you are one of the lucky ones.

Within the first week of purchase of my car, I had already replaced fuel pump, throttle body, kidney grille and a control arm + bushing. Keep in mind that is the FIRST week of owning the car.
Blueandwhite85 is online now   Reply With Quote