E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #301
Dominic.G.
Banned

My Ride: Jetblack 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb330 View Post
Instead of masking tape use index cards..reusable for all the wheels and makes it pretty hard to get any over-spray! Also a little quicker setup, did this to my wheels and really like it so far. One of my wheels had something on it that the Plastidip didn't like so I have to touch up or redo that wheel.

I had to peel it off one of my wheels and only took like 10-15 mins to get it all off, but they were the style 137 wheels so fairly flat and easy to remove.
but you really don't need to mask off the tire at all, even with cards. I had a hard time sticking the cards between the lip of the rim and the tire so I said fvck it and just painted it. Then I rubbed the tire where there was overspray and the plasti dip on the tire just rubbed right off. super easy
Dominic.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #302
AlpinewhiteXi

My Ride: 01 325Xi // 86 325e
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///fox View Post
plastidip sucks too, it only lasts about 3 months if the weather is dry and not super hot.
I have had black plastidip on my wheels in Denver CO. for the last 5-6 months. Through cool and dry to very hot and dry conditions I have had ZERO problems with it peeling, cracking, or looking any different than the day I first applied the stuff. I'm not saying you're wrong, Just saying I have had no problems. You really need to be sure you get a few good heavy coats on anything you are applying it to.
AlpinewhiteXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #303
omhl

My Ride: E46 M3 6MT
Send a message via AIM to omhl
im bak to silver lol
Old 09-23-2011, 03:46 AM   #304
zuckuss00

My Ride: K24Z7
This still seems to turn out nice!!!

How does it hold up to the elements? Rain...

UUC Motorwerks | Vörsteiner | JLeviSW | VMR | DTM-Spec | Euro Dyne | ModBargains | EAS
zuckuss00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #305
AlpinewhiteXi

My Ride: 01 325Xi // 86 325e
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckuss00 View Post
This still seems to turn out nice!!!

How does it hold up to the elements? Rain...
Holds up great! rain, snow, heat cold, whatever.
AlpinewhiteXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #306
shahbaz99

My Ride: Clean 330ci
wow the possibility's are endless!! could i do this to my window trim without removing it from the car? im obviously gonna tape it off but what about the little parts that get through? does it scrape off easily?
Old 10-08-2011, 04:56 AM   #307
seacorb

My Ride: 2002 325i
the key to this is using 3 HEAVY coats and waiting atleast an hour after last coast before putting wheel back on your car.... also, feather the can when your painting like its real paint, theres no need to do an arc motion unless your really that worried about getting plasti on your tire... which you shouldnt cuz you can rub it off with your hand..

I was kinda drunk and got antsy so I put my style 45's on after about 30mins using with OEM lugs and the tire wrench that comes with the car... bad idea. throw that damn tire iron in the trash if its still in your trunk. it started peeling around the lug holes so I gave them a final SOPPING wet coat. "forgiving" is really an understatement with this stuff if you know how to paint. if your wheel is clean and you rattle every 10 seconds or so it won't bubble no matter how much you spray and will always level itself out. its pretty amazing stuff

I had some pretty gnarly curb rash ALL the way around my wheels on the outside. I sanded the rash a bit before painting and it turned out amazing! Stock alloy wheels look like **** unless they are waxxy clean, which only happens for the first 45 minutes after a car wash if you daily drive and brake aggressively as I do.... I often found myself at the car wash with a semi-clean car and filthy ass ugly wheels so I will definitely be wasting less time at the car wash.

I did this DIY the same day my blackout package came (corners, sides, led tails, grille, emblems), did the tint myself the next day and the exterior of my car looks completely transformed for about 360$. Will post before/after pics tm.

Just ignore ZHP, he's clearly just a troll. Coming into a thread named after a color he doesn't like and essentially posting "i dont like that color on wheels, it makes me want to kill myself" then comparing the aesthetics of all black rims to spares is a very basic form of trolling IMO. No one asked you to like them bro, and your snobbetry is clearly not appreciated by anyone here... so why bother posting??? Oh wait, I forgot, its because your a trolling elitist ****tard. That sweet ride of yours wont add inches to your dick, buddy.

PEACE

Last edited by seacorb; 10-08-2011 at 04:58 AM.
seacorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:16 AM   #308
seacorb

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahbaz99 View Post
wow the possibility's are endless!! could i do this to my window trim without removing it from the car? im obviously gonna tape it off but what about the little parts that get through? does it scrape off easily?
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-ge...rome-trim.html
seacorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #309
jes_Ci02

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
mine has held up very well and ive power washed them and no peeling, minimum 3 coats and theyll last a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0141.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	420283  
jes_Ci02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #310
al0513

My Ride: 04 Silver Gray 330CI
Someone said on the first page that they did this to an Audi roof???? Pics?!?!
al0513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #311
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_lee88 View Post
Someone said on the first page that they did this to an Audi roof???? Pics?!?!
It's on the 3rd page

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...1&postcount=50

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #312
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
Yeah.... I am tired of the plastidip. I feel like its pretty gay. At least every time I get high I get all self conscious about them lol. Back to silver for me. It would be cool if it was glossy black...but it's not, it's a less than flat black.. It seems dark dark grey at times. Only looks good while it's raining or the wheels are wet lol.

For the record, they lasted for about 1 year with only tiny bits of silver showing through on the very edge of the rim
Old 01-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #313
SaulCaldera

My Ride: M
I sprayed my oem 18's on my M3. I had them black for a month or two. Then I found white plasti dip and sprayed over the black with a few cans. Looked awesome for about a week or two. The brake dust made my white wheels look brown and it wouldn't clean up very well so I ended up going back to black. I sprayed over the white again with a few light coats until the wheel was all black. Kept it that way for about a year and then tried to take it off and it wouldn't come off very easily. I found out that using a pressure washer helps but it still took a while to do. Gasoline helped take it off also but it sort of melts the plasti dip so I just pressure washed it off. Very difficult to take off. Don't over spray your wheels! it will be a PITA to take off later on. Plasti dip is tough stuff.
SaulCaldera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #314
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
I noticed the following when removing the platidip from my wheels:

1) you want it to come off as more or less one piece
2) this is more important for the smaller nooks and crannies of the wheel or else it very difficult to remove
3) get the wheels moist, I did one heel in the sun and it was very difficult ~1.5 hours for that first wheel. Then it started raining and the platidip became easier to keep in one piece.

Cliffs: pour water on the wheel. 100x easier
Old 01-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #315
eric_waltrip

My Ride: 2000 blk 323ci 5spd
had mine done for about 3 months now with no issues, bought some red pinstripe tape to time attack but it doesn't seem to stick very well and getting the lip angle right is such a pain.. so far Iv done my 4 rims and spare, my buddies wrx rims, my buddies Haro bike, and another friends mustang hood. he bought it primered and I told him lets plasti dip it! he didn't think it would turn out good but he was wrong looks great.. next car will be my friends dually wheels love this stuff!!
I road in my buddies with 350hp and he switched highways at wot scared tge piss out of me felt as fast other bodies 500hp supra awesome car they are rare hopefully they will bring them back rx8s r ok but I don't like tge rear doors and odd shape and lackbof turbos
eric_waltrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #316
bimmerman25

My Ride: 2003 330 ci
Has anyone tried this with the white plasti?
I have a silver 330ci with black rims and im kinda getting tired of them so I thought id give the white a shot? Anyone tried it or any comments on if itll look good or not?
bimmerman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #317
TekNoire7

My Ride: 328i
How the heck do i jack up my car. I have jackstands but my BMW jacks broke so I have no way of getting my tires off to do this.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #318
John in VA

My Ride: '00 Farngrün 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekNoire7 View Post
How the heck do i jack up my car. I have jackstands but my BMW jacks broke so I have no way of getting my tires off to do this.
Borrow or buy a floor jack.
'86 535i
'85 535i
'85 325e - RIP
'74 2002tii
John in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #319
TekNoire7

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
Borrow or buy a floor jack.
2 months haha, but anyways I actually did get this done, but I decided I hated it. Black rims aren't for me. I'm planning on buying csl rims soon anyways.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #320
omhl

My Ride: E46 M3 6MT
Send a message via AIM to omhl
kinda regret this thread. fuuuu

plastidip is GHETTO GUYS