E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
JordanBMW

My Ride: 320i 2002 steel blue
Send a message via MSN to JordanBMW Send a message via Skype™ to JordanBMW
DISA stripped bolt

I stripped the T40 bolt pretty bad in the cold. I was rushing and It just made matters worse. How the hell do I get it out?

Last edited by JordanBMW; 11-24-2011 at 12:17 PM.
JordanBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
JordanBMW

Xx
Old 11-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Drew@Swift Motorworks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Scooty Puff Jr
here's a great thread with a lot of info: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=864113

good luck
Drew@Swift Motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
Drew@Swift Motorworks
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-North View Post
What they call a "screw extractor" is what we call an "easy out" here in the great white north. You can get what you need at Can. Tire or home depot sells an 8 pack of various size easy outs for $23.
never heard of an "easy out" before.

I cant remember the shape or placement of the bolt off the top of my head right now, but OP might want to try something like vice grips before spending any money and running a risk drilling things. Always easier to try the solutions yyou can do at home without running out and buying things
Old 11-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
been there done that on the DISA bolt. due to the angle and tight space every recommendation is "usless." your best bet is to use a dremel and cut a hole on the bolt. make sure your cutter plate is just big enough to cut a slant on the bolt but not big enough to cut/damage stuff near by. after the slant/grove is cut then just pop in a flat head screw driver and remove.

again...been there done that and this is what worked for me. good luck!
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
Drew@Swift Motorworks
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
You have it wrong. Get the right tool for the job - ALWAYS - before you do more damage. God knows what will break when the vice-grips slip - maybe the plastic DISA valve, maybe something else. If you are familiar with the location of the DISA screws then you'll know that there is very little room for vice-grips. Added that the screw stripped with the torx tool why would he get more leverage on a round head screw with little room to work. Go ask your mechanic if he's ever heard of "easy outs". Every shop I've ever known has two or three sets on hand for this very common problem. I was always taught to use the "right tool for the job".

BTW search Google for the term Easy Outs - here's a link to set

http://www.amazon.com/piece-Easy-Scr.../dp/B0002UJNWE
right, my point was Ive always heard them called screw or bolt extractors... Different places, different terms i guess. Us brits call vice grips molly clamps.

As for the DISA, I couldnt remember the placement of the bolts. I think we could argue about the best or easiest way to extract something for a while, but without seeing the actual bolt, condition of it and the tools available its quite pointless
Old 11-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
blarf

My Ride: '00 323i
Angle? Space? Really?

Take the upper intake boot off and you'll have plenty of space to get a 3/8" ratchet and T-40 bit in there. Even more room if you take out the plastic drug bin divider. Also if you used a T-30, that's your problem right there. It's a T-40.
blarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #8
JordanBMW

Thanks for all the suggestions, going to go with the easy out way. I can use it for future purposes as well.
I did use 40, mis-typed the title.

Last edited by JordanBMW; 11-20-2011 at 07:05 PM.
JordanBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
blarf

Quote:
Are all of your posts this well thought out? You haven't a clue what your talking about. Have you read the thread - the bolts stripped. Others have suggested vice-grips!! I have the DISA in my hand with no other obstructions and I still could never get a pair of vice grips on the f****g screw. And before you suggest needle nose pliers remember that the the head is rounded and there is no room within the recess to turn the pliers even if you get them on the head.
Drunk much?

Yes, I'd go with long-nose locking pliers not the giant ones you've got, and you'd probably have room to turn it. I'd also consider a sacrificial TORX bit and some JB weld.

Then again I was referring to taking the bolt out without damaging it in the first place. Using any driver at an angle will easily round out the bolt. Take the intake boot off and you've got room to get a proper bit + ratchet and reduce the risk of rounding anything off to, well, zero.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
blarf

And, yes, I suspect you'd have room to rotate them if you kept them on-axis with the bolt.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:25 AM   #11
blarf

Quote:
Taking the bolt out without damaging it?? The f****g bolt is already stripped, what you can't read.

JB Weld and a sacrificial torx bit - you are an amateur. You should probably only offer advice on Kia's or lawnmowers.
You aren't, by any chance, that guy who was going to stick a ghost chili up his ass, were you? If so, that'd explain your attitude. I'd be pretty sore if my ass were on fire like that.

Otherwise, you're barking up the wrong tree and lacking in the whole reading comprehension department. Re-read what I wrote, sit in a corner like a bad little boy, and think about why your response was entirely unwarranted.

Last edited by blarf; 11-21-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #12
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
any update Jordan?
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #13
lsteg

My Ride: 2001 330ci
dremel / easy out FTW. If it was a bolt that was located somewhere else other than in the engine bay I'd suggest channel locks or something like that, but you don't want to waste time and effort. Hopefully you got this worked out.
lsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #14
JordanBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
any update Jordan?
Easy out works like a charm, I had no problem with it.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #15
dcaron999

My Ride: 2002 330xi
How to use an Easyout.

Found this DIY. Thought it might be useful to post ...

http://crustyquinns.com/tech/easyout.html
dcaron999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #16
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
I am in the same position now, used a t30 being stupid and the DISA bolt stripped.
Any recommendations without using power tools? don't have electrical outlet in the parking lot.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #17
codyfunk

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I did the same thing, ended up pushing like a mother ****er into the bolt to try and get the torx seated as far into the bolt as possible...finally got it.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #18
trj

I tried a flat head and hex key too.
no go.
Will try again tomorrow.
problem is the location, can't really use anything to hammer in any little hand tools.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:02 AM   #19
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdown View Post
here's a great thread with a lot of info: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=864113

good luck
I remember that thread. I added a post to it as well, with some additional advice. One other member, qslim, mentioned the product below:
http://www.ezgrip.net/
I got some, and I have to say, I use it all the time now. It works best for Torx and Phillips head screws. I just use it on every fastener now, and it makes a huge difference! It won't help you with a stripped screw, but there is plenty of info in that thread that will help. Order the ezgrip for future jobs.
Another thing that will help in the future, is to buy a quality set of bits, like Wera. They are a little pricey, but if you just buy the tips and use your own driver, then you can get a decent set for $20. They are great bits, and damn near impossible to strip.
The problem with the majority of bits sold for Torx or Hex type fasteners is that they are cheap Chinese crap being dumped on the market. It is the same problem we are facing with auto parts, bearings, etc. But if a Torx bit is even just a little smaller dimension, then they will bugger up the head of the screw. You can find Wera bits on Amazon.

Last edited by MJLavelle; 03-06-2012 at 02:12 AM.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #20
trj

Tried the dremel today. Broke the dremel disc. I had only one in my set left
Tried the hacksaw, no go.
I will buy a little larger dremel disc tomorrow and give it another go.

PS: I bought another DISA bolt from the dealership, cost $3.75