E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 282 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #201
Cretster

My Ride: E90 320D
Hmmm, still can't get the official rom to flash.
I've tried first using an 8gb microsd in SD adaptor - like I said I had to format it Fat 32 as windows 7 doesn't do Fat16. Does that matter a lot?
Tried using Panasonic's sd format tool but this doesn't let you choose the fat option contrary to what I thought.

So second time I used the supplied 2gb SD card. Cut and pasted the card contents to a backup folder on my pc and did NOT format it (as per instructions on Dynavin's site), added the contents of the downloaded rom zip file, inserted it to the Navi SD slot then rebooted. Didn't seem to do anything so I'm not sure what I've done wrong for the flash not to happen at all?

Re' bluetooth, I've tried using a dongle the same physical appearance at least as the one someone mentioned worked (they linked to this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846).

Mine looks like that but is unbranded.
Works perfectly in the laptop, but in Dyna it doesn't seem to see it. I've no idea if it's just not a compatible dongle or an issue with the software/firmware but if I can get this damn thing flashed somehow then maybe just maybe it'll work.....

Any tips on where I'm going wrong trying to flash though from SD, or how I can get a Fat16 format done in Win7???

Cheers chaps.
Cretster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #202
Cretster

One question I've got about the radio on the dynavin has cropped up after just going for my first proper post-install drive.
Every time I had the FM radio on (tried various stations) there is a mind bogglingly irritating 'skip' in the music that consistently happens every 5-10 seconds.

Please please please can someone reassure me that there's a way to solve this, as I have the radio on in the car the majority of the time and this will make the whole thing just unusable if it's going to do this skipping effect non stop!

Help me obi-wan - you're my only hope!
Old 03-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #203
Mr_ceee

My Ride: 330CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretster View Post
One question I've got about the radio on the dynavin has cropped up after just going for my first proper post-install drive.
Every time I had the FM radio on (tried various stations) there is a mind bogglingly irritating 'skip' in the music that consistently happens every 5-10 seconds.

Please please please can someone reassure me that there's a way to solve this, as I have the radio on in the car the majority of the time and this will make the whole thing just unusable if it's going to do this skipping effect non stop!

Help me obi-wan - you're my only hope!
If you havnt tried already try turning off TA and AF to see if that fixes it.
Mr_ceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #204
Cretster

Thanks for the suggestion - TA is already off as I have no need for it where I live, but I think AF is on from memory.
Just about to try again to flash it, so I'll check and disable it if need be. Is this a known issue?

I've read tons of stuff now in the last week or so but don't recall hearing about this particular issue I must admit.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #205
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
Just an update, I finished maintenance on my server and the ROMs are back up.
Once again, the link is http://jneumann.net/Baldr/
The best ROM there right now is M3Evolution's latest, found in the m3evo/ directory.

As for formatting SD cards, they have to have a Primary, FAT32 partition that is set active. Then copy the MLO file first, then the rest. Use Easus to do all this stuff, their home edition is free.

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #206
Cretster

Brilliant cheers.

Got the m3evo rom installed now thanks (the SD formatting process you described worked perfectly, whereas the process described at the start of this thread would not work for me).
Still having bother with this supercharger script though.

Clearly I'm doing something dumb. I thought this rom had busybox installed but when I run the supercharger script I get errors that it can't find busybox or the version (can't remember the exact error) and that if I continue it'll do bad things like boot loops etc.

Tried the busybox install apps therefore, but just get the same error about failing to mount system read/write. That's after a popup to say it's been granted superuser permissions.

This is all directly after installing the m3evo rom (the 09 Dec 2011 one).

Is there a step I've missed out prior to running the script manager?
Something I'm doing wrong when running that? (I just select SU and Run)
Something I have to do after installing the rom to allow busybox installer to work correctly?

Apologies that this is no doubt a noobish mistake being made somewhere. Really want to get that script in though to get the benefit of smoothing/speeding the ui a bit though.

Cheers

Last edited by Cretster; 03-04-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:17 AM   #207
Cretster

Script now installed thanks very much to Jim for his patient assistance!

All runs much nicer now - objective achieved. BT dongle still won't get recognised though sadly.
Will have to figure something out there somehow....
Old 03-05-2012, 04:22 AM   #208
listermint

My Ride: E46 M3 '02
Quote:
Script now installed thanks very much to Jim for his patient assistance!

All runs much nicer now - objective achieved. BT dongle still won't get recognised though sadly.
Will have to figure something out there somehow....
What did you do to get busy box to operate, i had the same issues as you after installing M3Evo rom. That was over the weekend, was short timed so never got back to it.

BTW the Sabrent BT dongle most definitely works. I got one from the US and it worked after stock firmware update. (wouldnt work beforehand though)
listermint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:03 AM   #209
Cretster

Last night busybox installer wouldnt work for me so I downloaded an app just called busybox. I'm sure that didn't work either but this morning I tried and straight off it installed the new version of bb.

Sure enough the script ran fine then, although I think the settings are messing up as the normal keyboard appeared and obscured all the options. Think I need to run it again although I'm not sure what options should best be used.

Hope that helps mate.
Did you get that dongle on amazon? I've a feeling amazon.com declines uk orders but I may be wrong. That dongle isn't on their uk site though...

Anyone know if it's also worth running the kickass kernel script that is mentioned on the same xdad thread as the v6 one by the way???
Old 03-05-2012, 06:21 AM   #210
Cretster

Looks like I can get from Amazon US so I'll grab one of those. Ordered a mini unpowered hub on ebay yesterday already so I won't buy one of those Belkin ones someone suggested unless it won't work with the one I've already bought.

Re' the bluetooth stuff, I'm curious as to what happens if your phone is already connected (call or streaming) to the parrot module on the radio side, then in Navi you try and run stuff via a USB BT dongle simultaneously (eg start streaming via an Android music player). How does that scenario play out? *edit* I've ordered one of those Sabrent dongles from the US now so I guess I'll be able to answer this myself in due course!

Sorry btw as I realise that's not specifically an android hacking question as such, but it's continuing the questions about which BT dongles work etc so it sort of goes together.

Last edited by Cretster; 03-05-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #211
henkvdh

My Ride: BMW 330ci
Smile m3evolution ROM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3evolution View Post
Great job Jim. My Gingerbread Rom is at the same road block as yours. Im pretty happy with my latest build of Froyo so I might take a break from building a Gingerbread rom.

Ive made a lot of changes to my Rom mostly behind the scene stuff.

What I got now
-Black Statusbar

-New Icons and removed useless ones from the statusbar
-New default wallpaper
-Better Wifi connection
-GPS tweaks

currently testing
-auto scripts
-no more music skipping
-no more force close
-auto start your choice of apps on boot (gps, music,etc)
-more speed
-more ram via swap
-bluetooth
-maybe recovery
-red light and speed camera detector

I attached some screen shots.

Do you need any Beta Testers for your Rom? I would love to help you out! It looks great!

henkvdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #212
mdh

My Ride: E60 M5
Eagerly awaiting the updated m3evo rom...
mdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:11 AM   #213
m3evolution

My Ride: M3
We have CPU OVERCLOCK!!!

CPU OVERCLOCK

600 mhz and faster DSP!!!

I finallly got my ttl serial adapter in the mail today and was able to get my hands dirty with some kernel hacking. I tried to push it to 720 but the system reported back that the silicon is not capable at that rate. I did a short stress test and it seems to be stable at 600mhz and DSP at 430mhz.

My Rom release might be another week out due to not having the adapter and me still just learning all this stuff. If any of you guys have suggestion on what are must have features that I should include in the rom let me know.

Here are some snapshots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M3EVOLUTION - 1.png
Views:	141
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	440592   Click image for larger version

Name:	M3EVOLUTION - 2.png
Views:	117
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	440593   Click image for larger version

Name:	M3EVOLUTION - 3.png
Views:	127
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	440594   Click image for larger version

Name:	M3EVOLUTION - 4.png
Views:	112
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	440595  

m3evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:14 AM   #214
podge3

My Ride: Rover 75 CDTi
Quote:
I finallly got my ttl serial adapter in the mail today and was able to get my hands dirty with some kernel hacking. I tried to push it to 720 but the system reported back that the silicon is not capable at that rate. I did a short stress test and it seems to be stable at 600mhz and DSP at 430mhz.

My Rom release might be another week out due to not having the adapter and me still just learning all this stuff. If any of you guys have suggestion on what are must have features that I should include in the rom let me know.

Here are some snapshots
Well done!!!

Could you include V6 Supercharger in your ROM?
podge3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:18 AM   #215
listermint

My Ride: E46 M3 '02
Nice work man!
listermint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:48 AM   #216
Cretster

Is the kickass kernelizer script any use to us?

Perhaps to include the clock sync & time zone fixer apps if that's permissible, and gps conf file, since they seem to help with the gps signal.

Excellent work anyway, your efforts are appreciated.

On another note, if I want to add 3G to my unit is there a very specific dongle I need?
Never added that to a device separately.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #217
henkvdh

My Ride: BMW 330ci
How about a nice Wifi Controlling app, to easy connect/change hotspots.

Latest Google Maps and Navigation, and maybe fix the Voice Search?

I mainly use mine for the Navigation so those are the features i would like to focus on!

Maybe also update e-mail section if there are any updates!

Last edited by henkvdh; 03-06-2012 at 06:48 AM.
henkvdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #218
Ninety-9 SE-L

My Ride: 2001 M3, 3.5L Sentra
Quote:

CPU OVERCLOCK

600 mhz and faster DSP!!!

Here are some snapshots
Eagerly awaiting any results. I just got my Dynavin unit in and installed it last night. I haven't really messed with the Android side, yet. I'm thinking I'm going to root the Android side, first thing, that way I can install titanium backup and keep a back up of all my apps/settings.

I've been using a Root app on my phone called WiFi Teather, I'm still working out the kinks with that. The Dynavin Android is able to see the SSID coming off of my Phone, but I'm not able to obtain an IP address from the phone, for some reason.
Ninety-9 SE-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #219
Cretster

Wish I could tether mine as it would mean not having to figure out about getting a suitable 3g dongle instead, but my iphone won't allow it without jailbreaking it and while I did that with my last one I'd prefer not to really.

Re' google maps - I can barely see google's maps on my dyna's screen - it just looks like a sea of white with some thin & very pale bits where roads just might be.
I'm led to believe this is an issue with the more recent versions of google maps/nav where they have changed the colour schemes or made it so only the road you're travelling on is properly visible or something.
I think it's crazy and there seems to be a lot of dislike, so I'm not sure the newest stuff is necessarily the best to use. Whenever suggestions are requested for stuff to include in a rom, I guess you'll always get differences of opinion over things like this, but that's my 2p for what it's worth.

I think a decent task killer/task manager would be very useful to include. Ie something we can set up to auto kill specific apps and so on. Dynavin hardware is not especially powerful and is lacking in memory, so getting/retaining good performance will in no small part come down to app/process housekeeping.

An app that I think would be handy to include would be one of the car interface ones. I.e. where you get half a dozen or so big chunky shortcut keys to apps/settings of your choice, and a speed readout or something. There's a few free ones about but not sure what's best.

Just a few thoughts anyway.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #220
R75

My Ride: Rover 75
Quote:
Wish I could tether mine as it would mean not having to figure out about getting a suitable 3g dongle instead, but my iphone won't allow it without jailbreaking it and while I did that with my last one I'd prefer not to really.

Re' google maps - I can barely see google's maps on my dyna's screen - it just looks like a sea of white with some thin & very pale bits where roads just might be.
This is easily solved. Go into Setup/Screen/Brightness and reduce it to 40%.