E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 01:01 AM   #21
allpick

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i 6spd
Fuel pump was replace by prior owner, but not sure about fuel filter.

Started car this morning and light was off though. So I'm not sure what to do.

allpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #22
mrmaico

My Ride: 04 ZHP, 05 R1200 GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpick View Post
Fuel pump was replace by prior owner, but not sure about fuel filter.

Started car this morning and light was off though. So I'm not sure what to do.
But is it still missing? Mine never did throw a light. I just had an occasional stored 2974 code. I'd clear it and a few months later it would be back.

Hopefully whoever changed the pump knew enough to change the filter at the same time.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #23
allpick

Still no light, and I assume the filter was changed. I guess I'm not sure what the next step to eliminate the 'stutter' is.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #24
mrmaico

Quote:
Still no light, and I assume the filter was changed. I guess I'm not sure what the next step to eliminate the 'stutter' is.
Might be time to consider a DME update. Describe what your car is doing in a little more detail.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #25
allpick

It's basically just a 'stutter' between 2-3k RPM. Happens primarily at slower acceleration (at least that is when it's noticeable).

Old 02-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #26
mrmaico

Quote:
It's basically just a 'stutter' between 2-3k RPM. Happens primarily at slower acceleration (at least that is when it's noticeable).
Mine was under acceleration in the higher gears between 2800-3000 rpm. More noticeable going uphill or even into a headwind. I was a noticeable jerking for just those few hundred rpm.

It sounds like yours might be acting a little different but if not I'd try and find an indy that can do it before going to a dealer.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #27
dyintorace

My Ride: 2004 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico View Post
Does it act like it's described in the other posts here? Mine was under acceleration right between 2800 to 3000 rpm, after or before that it was fine. Also, it was more noticeable in the higher gears. 1st, 2nd and 3rd you couldn't feel it. It seems most common on 2004 ZHPs but I'm sure it's possible on models.

Has your fuel filter ever been replaced? If not, it might be a good idea to try that first.
Mrmaico - I bought a 2004 ZHP sedan (Imola/Natural - 78k miles) today, after finding it in VA and having a PPI performed. I drove it home from from VA to north FL and after several hours, I noticed the *exact* symptoms you describe above. Hesitation under acceleration, around 75 MPH, and only in higher gears. Eventually, the CEL came on, so I had it checked at Advance when I got home. Code was P2240 (O2 sensor). I'm fairly distraught/angry, given that I've owned the car less than 24 hours. Suggestions on next steps?
dyintorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #28
mrmaico

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyintorace View Post
Mrmaico - I bought a 2004 ZHP sedan (Imola/Natural - 78k miles) today, after finding it in VA and having a PPI performed. I drove it home from from VA to north FL and after several hours, I noticed the *exact* symptoms you describe above. Hesitation under acceleration, around 75 MPH, and only in higher gears. Eventually, the CEL came on, so I had it checked at Advance when I got home. Code was P2240 (O2 sensor). I'm fairly distraught/angry, given that I've owned the car less than 24 hours. Suggestions on next steps?
Sounds familiar. Exactly how I first noticed mine do it.....I bought mine at Desert BMW in Vegas and a couple hours after leaving heading home I noticed it. Damn, do I turn around and go back to the dealer or keep going. Decided to keep going and hope it was something simple like plugs or fuel filter maybe.

After trying the usual suspects including Vanos seals, while searching for what it might be and kept finding posts about mainly 04 ZHPs having that miss between 2800 and 3000 rpm under a load in the higher gears and curing it with a software update. So I had that done about 8 months after I bought it and that was the answer. Mine was also at exactly 75 mph in 6th, the speed limit around here. I had it done at an indy.....JB Eurotech.

Relax, your gonna love the car. Congrats on a great choice. Pics?

Barry

Last edited by mrmaico; 02-17-2012 at 09:03 PM.
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #29
dyintorace

Quote:
Sounds familiar. Exactly how I first noticed mine do it.....I bought mine at Desert BMW in Vegas and a couple hours after leaving heading home I noticed it. Damn, do I turn around and go back to the dealer or keep going. Decided to keep going and hope it was something simple like plugs or fuel filter maybe.

After trying the usual suspects including Vanos seals, while searching for what it might be and kept finding posts about mainly 04 ZHPs having that miss between 2800 and 3000 rpm under a load in the higher gears and curing it with a software update. So I had that done about 8 months after I bought it and that was the answer. Mine was also at exactly 75 mph in 6th, the speed limit around here. I had it done at an indy.....JB Eurotech.

Relax, your gonna love the car. Congrats on a great choice. Pics?

Barry
Thanks for the feedback. I hope that's all it is. My indy here doesn't have the GT2 machine that the dealer has, so I guess I'll have to go there and try to convince them to reprogram the DME without charging me an arm and a leg. I also have the paperwork regarding the taillight TSB and need to have that done as well. I've also got a fair amount of rattle at idle. Trying to figure out if that is VANOS or not. Always hard buying a car at distance.

As for pics, I don't have any good ones yet. The car is incredibly dirty, having suffered through an 11 hour drive, part of which was in the rain. Here is one from the PO FS thread.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #30
mrmaico

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyintorace View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I hope that's all it is. My indy here doesn't have the GT2 machine that the dealer has, so I guess I'll have to go there and try to convince them to reprogram the DME without charging me an arm and a leg. I also have the paperwork regarding the taillight TSB and need to have that done as well. I've also got a fair amount of rattle at idle. Trying to figure out if that is VANOS or not. Always hard buying a car at distance.

As for pics, I don't have any good ones yet. The car is incredibly dirty, having suffered through an 11 hour drive, part of which was in the rain. Here is one from the PO FS thread.

Looks nice, still original.

There are some people that have been able to load the correct software on a laptop and do their own DME updates. I'm not one of them...yet. Hopefully a dealer won't want to do a bunch of diagnostics first. Just tell them you want to be updated to the latest E46 DME software.

As far as the rattle at idle, I wonder if that could be the Disa valve. Find the connector on it and if it quits when you unhook the wire it's a failing Disa. In fact, mine was also rattling when I was checking it out pre-purchase and a tech unhooked the Disa and it was quite so they installed a new one while I finished up the paperwork. A Vanos rattle should be noticeable at around 2000 rpm from what I've read. Mine never has had the ZHP rattle so when I replaced the Vanos seals I skipped the anti-rattle kit. If it would have had the rattle I probably would have went with a Dr Vanos rebuilt unit. I never noticed any changes after doing my Vanos, I did it hoping it was the cause of the 2800 rpm miss.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #31
dyintorace

Quote:
Looks nice, still original.

There are some people that have been able to load the correct software on a laptop and do their own DME updates. I'm not one of them...yet. Hopefully a dealer won't want to do a bunch of diagnostics first. Just tell them you want to be updated to the latest E46 DME software.

As far as the rattle at idle, I wonder if that could be the Disa valve. Find the connector on it and if it quits when you unhook the wire it's a failing Disa. In fact, mine was also rattling when I was checking it out pre-purchase and a tech unhooked the Disa and it was quite so they installed a new one while I finished up the paperwork. A Vanos rattle should be noticeable at around 2000 rpm from what I've read. Mine never has had the ZHP rattle so when I replaced the Vanos seals I skipped the anti-rattle kit. If it would have had the rattle I probably would have went with a Dr Vanos rebuilt unit. I never noticed any changes after doing my Vanos, I did it hoping it was the cause of the 2800 rpm miss.
Thanks for all of the great info! This is my first ZHP (2nd e46) so I'm trying to learn everything I need to know about them. I will talk to the dealer and see what they can/will do for me. And I haven't heard of the Disa issue, so I appreciate the heads up there. I will disconnect it and see if that quiets the rattle, which is definitely only at idle. I'm happy to hear that it's not the typical VANOS rattle.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #32
kbps3

My Ride: 2003 325i
So I think I've got the same issues with my '03 ( now with 227k miles ! ). Are there any fanatics in the New Orleans area that would have an opinion on a couple of independant shops? I've had enuff of the dealership so I'm thinking of either Bimmerworks in Harahan or Greff Motors in Metairie. I've replaced o2 sensors, vanos seals, intake boots, plugs, air & fuel filters, fuel pump all to no avail.
kbps3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #33
Mctronics

My Ride: BMW
Having the same issue, after reading this thread I decided to get the DME programmed. The dealer sent it to NJ for the 4K RPM dip and they did the update in-house. Also changed DISA, valve cover gasket, plugs, fuel filter all pluming: intake, vacuum, oil separator, etc.
Got the car back feels good so far, 4K RPM dip gone
As soon as i got to a hill the main problem still occurred between 2500-3000RPM. The update did not work for me
About to change fuel pump, Air Mass and Vanos seals, Not going to give up yet
Old 03-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #34
RF330i

My Ride: 04 330 zhp
Mctronics,

did you solve the problem yet? I had my DME reprogrammed, already did the vanos seals/rattle kit/VCG, and the fuel filter and still have the 2800 lugging under acceleration uphill in 5th and 6th gears. Next guess was DISA but I hate throwing money at issues that are a shot in the dark.
RF330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #35
Mctronics

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF330i View Post
Mctronics,

did you solve the problem yet? I had my DME reprogrammed, already did the vanos seals/rattle kit/VCG, and the fuel filter and still have the 2800 lugging under acceleration uphill in 5th and 6th gears. Next guess was DISA but I hate throwing money at issues that are a shot in the dark.
Unfortunately I am still having the same issue and now worst. I did everything mentioned and still no change, my car now has a list of problem in addition to the uphill hesitation between 2500-3000RPM that I cant figure out. I was driving the other day just regular driving and the car just died with no warning, it was like someone just pulled the plug. I suspected the crank position sensor but later had it changed, same issue! Next problem; Every time I drive at highway speeds and eventually come to a stop my idle fluctuates but goes back to normal if I turn the car off and on again. Along with the fluctuation, if Im on the brake my gas pedal does not function. I first noticed this when I was approaching an exit off the highway and I tried to (Down Shift Rev-match). I eventually got to a light and while in neutral I had my feet on both gas and break pedals at the same time, nothing happened, I then slowly started taking my foot off the break while still on the gas, the car revved, (WTF)!!! I then turned the car off and on again, everything went back to normal.
This problem has been haunting me for the past few weeks , been talking to a lot of techs at BMW and independent shops but no one seem to know what it could be. A friend of mine just bought a GT1 so I may be in some luck fighting this battle!

Last edited by Mctronics; 03-30-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Mctronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #36
mrmaico

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF330i View Post
Mctronics,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctronics View Post
Unfortunately I am still having the same issue and now worst. I did everything mentioned and still no change, my car now has a list of problem in addition to the uphill hesitation between 2500-3000RPM that I cant figure out. I was driving the other day just regular driving and the car just died with no warning, it was like someone just pulled the plug. I suspected the crank position sensor but later had it changed, same issue! Next problem; Every time I drive at highway speeds and eventually come to a stop my idle fluctuates but goes back to normal if I turn the car off and on again. Along with the fluctuation, if Im on the brake my gas pedal does not function. I first noticed this when I was approaching an exit off the highway and I tried to (Down Shift Rev-match). I eventually got to a light and while in neutral I had my feet on both gas and break pedals at the same time, nothing happened, I then slowly started taking my foot off the break while still on the gas, the car revved, (WTF)!!! I then turned the car off and on again, everything went back to normal.
This problem has been haunting me for the past few weeks , been talking to a lot of techs at BMW and independent shops but no one seem to know what it could be. A friend of mine just bought a GT1 so I may be in some luck fighting this battle!
Sorry to hear you guys are still having the problem after a software update. Almost makes me wonder if the update "took". But since Mctronics had his done by BMW, in Jersey no less, I would think it worked. Who did yours RF?

About the brake/gas issue your having.....there was a guy at ZHPMafia recently who was having the same problem and it turned out he had forgotten to plug his MAF back in after doing some work.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...dal-is-pressed.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #37
RF330i

My Ride: 04 330 zhp
Mine was done by dealer, Morristown BMW (NJ). Now it's throwing SES light every now and then. On bimmerfest smolck recommended new DISA valve, on zhpmafia I've seen pre-cat O2 sensors. Who knows?

Car only has 61k miles on it so I'm not sure if the sensors are it. guess I need to get the codes read?
RF330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:44 AM   #38
Coldiguana

My Ride: 2004 330i zhp
Same issue and fix, on my '04 ZHP with about 37k miles. It was stumbling uphill and the "service engine soon" light came on. Same fix at dealer - reprogram. Light has stayed off. Have not taken it on a trip, so don't know if stumbling cured. $177.
Coldiguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #39
coolmellowdude

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
Got a used 2004 325i and I'm getting the periodic P2240 code. It only occurs when I push the car at higher RPMs. I experimented with different fuel octanes 89, 91, and 93, and found it occurs more frequently at 89 and 91 octanes. However, when using 93 octane it rarely occurs. The fuel filter has been changed, checked and cleaned intake, DISA, replaced plugs, and still occurs. Looks like I need to flash the DME with a newer version. This should be a BMW recall.
coolmellowdude is offline   Reply With Quote