E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #1141
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau View Post
$55/ every 2 yrs wont kill me.
Well, for me it would be 2 filters a year. Not one every 2.

And a filter costs me $75. Regardless of which sponsor sells it to me.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #1142
Wickedly

My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
I'm about to buy either the performance oem or the aFe. and as soon as I change it, I can sell it to you for 120 + shipping
Wickedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #1143
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedly View Post
Which AFE intake you have the stage 2 or stage 1? and you having doubts on your intake or the oem performance?
I have the stage 1 AFE and yes, I am still torn about switching the BMW Performance due to the non-lifetime filter.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #1144
Wickedly

My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
What you think of stage 2 aFe?
Wickedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #1145
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
Well, for me it would be 2 filters a year. Not one every 2.

And a filter costs me $75. Regardless of which sponsor sells it to me.
Thats life if you want a "fancy" BMW intake.

Live in a nice house in an affluent area and you'll have to pay a high property tax.

Have a good job and you'll have to buy nice (read: expensive) suits, shirts, ties and shoes.

I realize some of you guys are still at home or in college on a shoestring budget, so its understandable not to afford a filter which will cost $35 more than the stock one. But that is the price you pay to own the car. Be happy youre capable of DIYing. Imagine what the bills would be if you couldnt. And I mean there are plenty of folks who havent the slightest idea on how to change an air filter.

This is one of those times where GoingNuts is right. - Its better to own a Honda for those who cant afford to fix their car properly. I read a lot about such ghetto modifcations to save a few dollars. Zip ties on regulators and windex (not exactly) in mounts. CCVs venting to the atmosphere.... I mean really.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #1146
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau View Post
Thats life if you want a "fancy" BMW intake.

Live in a nice house in an affluent area and you'll have to pay a high property tax.

Have a good job and you'll have to buy nice (read: expensive) suits, shirts, ties and shoes.

I realize some of you guys are still at home or in college on a shoestring budget, so its understandable not to afford a filter which will cost $35 more than the stock one. But that is the price you pay to own the car. Be happy youre capable of DIYing. Imagine what the bills would be if you couldnt. And I mean there are plenty of folks who havent the slightest idea on how to change an air filter.

This is one of those times where GoingNuts is right. - Its better to own a Honda for those who cant afford to fix their car properly. I read a lot about such ghetto modifcations to save a few dollars. Zip ties on regulators and windex (not exactly) in mounts. CCVs venting to the atmosphere.... I mean really.
To me its all about the fact if its worth it or not.

A good looking but expensive intake? No

I'd rather spend money else where and I do.

I dont know why you threw the second statement about a Honda I use nothing but quality when I fix all my BMWs. Im just simply not buying this intake due to useless expenses. Or did you think I was gonna buy this intake and then use some cheap sh1t filters in it ? lol Im not that kind of guy.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #1147
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
To me its all about the fact if its worth it or not.

A good looking but expensive intake? No

I'd rather spend money else where and I do.

I dont know why you threw the second statement about a Honda I use nothing but quality when I fix all my BMWs. Im just simply not buying this intake due to useless expenses. Or did you think I was gonna buy this intake and then use some cheap sh1t filters in it ? lol Im not that kind of guy.
Agreed. Its your prerogative to spend as you wish. I'm also a bit pushy about folks using strictly OE.

The honda statement was more general and not necessarily directed towards you. I just hate reading stories about how people butcher their car to save a few bucks.

Im a very big fan of OE parts only. Although I do have NGKs and BOSCH O2s, other than that, everything is OE. I bought my car new and I like to keep it in the same shape. I have no intentions of ever selling the car either, as it has certain sentimental value to it. This is another reason why I keep it in the condition I do. If I bought my car used with a pile of miles, I would probably be less inclined to spend on OE or performance filters. I'd be skimping.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #1148
mrmaico

My Ride: 04 ZHP, 05 R1200 GS
Can anyone who bought this strut bar new comfirm for me that it is supposed to come with the special hardware? From checking Realoem it looks like the regular flange nuts on our top strut mounts won't work on the Performance bar.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #1149
Levim9

My Ride: S54 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico View Post
Can anyone who bought this strut bar new comfirm for me that it is supposed to come with the special hardware? From checking Realoem it looks like the regular flange nuts on our top strut mounts won't work on the Performance bar.
I bought mine new from my local dealership and it came with the hardware (special nuts & caps)
Old 03-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #1150
mrmaico

My Ride: 04 ZHP, 05 R1200 GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black E46 sedan View Post
I bought mine new from my local dealership and it came with the hardware (special nuts & caps)
Thanks, I am buying a new, never installed one from a guy and he said the dealer he bought it from told him that you just re-use your old hardware. I knew they took different fasteners and was pretty sure they came with it.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #1151
tootall

My Ride: 2011 328iT 3 pedals
The instructions for the installation tell you not to reuse the original nuts, so the seller is mistaken about that.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #1152
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Not only are they supposed to be one time use only, but they have a different design to allow more threads to be grabbed than the original nut possibly could with the strut bar in place.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Bimmer App
Old 03-03-2012, 03:49 AM   #1153
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico View Post
Correct. Of the six nuts, four are special deep thread nuts as used on the E46 M3 brace. These use locktite and are expensive. The other two are the same as the original nuts (which are bmw style self-locking). These are often listed as one time use but you could use them again. So each tower takes three nuts, 1 regular and two special M3 deep thread. Link to the special BMW strut brace nut http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/51717895241/ES129238/

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 03-03-2012 at 03:59 AM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #1154
Hermes

My Ride: cars older than you
Already installed the pedals, shifters, kidney grill, badges, intake and now the brace. Just need the Performance splitters, diffuser, exhaust and wheels to finish off the set (but I likely won't end up getting most of those)

Respect Your Elders
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #1155
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansho View Post
While price isn't to be a factor ... Tischer just dropped the price on the BMW Performance Intake ... $315 now
Saw this at the beginning of the thread. I love reading things on the forum from a couple of years ago where all the prices were rock bottom. That same intake runs $700 right now
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #1156
Hermes

My Ride: cars older than you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
Saw this at the beginning of the thread. I love reading things on the forum from a couple of years ago where all the prices were rock bottom. That same intake runs $700 right now
I just saw one in the $300-400 range, they still exist. Also, mine was only $315 from Tischer about 6 months ago

Respect Your Elders

Last edited by Hermes; 03-09-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #1157
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
I just saw one in the $300-400 range, they still exist. Also, mine was only $315 from Tischer about 6 months ago
wowsers. I had mine eye on the Dinan Box
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #1158
Kmoy2002

My Ride: 2002tii, 540i, 330i
Has anyone noticed the price has now risen to over $700 now? Makes me a bit glad I purchased mine six months ago at around $315 shipped.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #1159
SKIPPY PB

My Ride: YZ125
Quote:
Originally Posted by N89 View Post
I've heard it won't because of the lower profile, if you look at an M3 bar you'll notice the middle is significantly higher than the ends, I'm assuming that's to clear the engine and accommodate the power dome.
Its actually cause the chassis's track is wider and the shock towers hold thicker shocks further apart than a coupe or sedan.
SKIPPY PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #1160
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIPPY PB View Post
Its actually cause the chassis's track is wider and the shock towers hold thicker shocks further apart than a coupe or sedan.
If you're implying that this BMW Performance bar won't fit an M3 that's incorrect. I installed one on my M3 over a year ago when everyone said it wouldn't fit.
Here's the post http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...postcount=1074

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 03-18-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw performance, carbon fiber, filter, intake, performance, strut bar, strut brace