E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #441
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I really like the Vickers VCAS and Viking Tactics VTAC slings. They're standard 2-point slings, are very easy to use, and very high quality. Expect to pay around $40, but it's a good investment in the long run. My current build is going to be outfitted with a VTAC Wide Padded Upgraded sling.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #442
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Goofy. If they replaced the ejector spring and went to an upgraded extractor spring/instert/o-ring setup, they'd probably mitigate the issue. Still, if it ain't broke, don't fix it I guess.
Heh, the extractor options are the next phase that I'm trying to research and understand. I should probably take a class at some point. Do you know of any good DVDs that go part by part with explanations of how they interact together?

For this scenario, if he is not using a decent BCG and picks up a BCM extractor upgrade kit, how does the upgraded spring, insert, or o-ring effect the ejection of the cartridge? Based on what you are saying, the clamping force of the extractor being applied to the rim of the cartridge may be weak, so by increasing that clamping force it would change the ejection of the cartridge? I thought that would be based on the spring rate of the ejector.

Sorry if I'm going in circles here. I'm a details guy so I like to understand how and why these parts work together.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #443
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
I need a recommendation on a decent sling for my AR. It doesn't have to be too fancy and I'd like to keep the price reasonable. I'm working from home a lot and will be moving my office to my basement, so my go to gun if something goes bump upstairs will be my AR. The safe is not too far, so it makes sense to me to get setup with easy access, etc.

I'd like the least complicated configuration I can get.
If you don't plan on wearing it for long periods of time, I really like the MS3 from Magpul. I'm taking my first real class next month so it will be a trial by fire as to how much it hurts after ten hours. just practicing drills in my office, it works well for my needs. The advertise it as a one or two point sling, but I think that's more wishful thinking than anything else.

I think it mostly depends on if you prefer a one or two point sling. I've heard great things about the Vickers sling, and is probably one that I will pick up in the future.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #444
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Heh, the extractor options are the next phase that I'm trying to research and understand. I should probably take a class at some point. Do you know of any good DVDs that go part by part with explanations of how they interact together?

For this scenario, if he is not using a decent BCG and picks up a BCM extractor upgrade kit, how does the upgraded spring, insert, or o-ring effect the ejection of the cartridge? Based on what you are saying, the clamping force of the extractor being applied to the rim of the cartridge may be weak, so by increasing that clamping force it would change the ejection of the cartridge? I thought that would be based on the spring rate of the ejector.

Sorry if I'm going in circles here. I'm a details guy so I like to understand how and why these parts work together.
Ejection pattern is affected by both the extractor and ejector. The power of ejector is important, but the extractor's ability to hold onto the rim of the cartridge is important. Think of it like if you have ever flicked a booger (don't act like you haven't). If you just flick your finger, you can get some distance, but if you use your thumb to press the top of the finger to get some more resistance and snap to it, you get more distance. Then your wife yells at you for flicking a booger instead of walking into the bathroom to wrap it in TP and put it in the garbage.

As far as the DVDs, I have no clue.

Glock Armorer

Old 03-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #445
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Mounted my Nikon m223 on my ar tonight, it's in a larue qd mount

Moved my aimpoint magnifier and comp m4 onto the m&p 15-22...haha overkill . That set up will get moved to the sbr when it's built.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1331612090.005096.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	441664   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1331612100.817447.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	441665  
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #446
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Mounted my Nikon m223 on my ar tonight, it's in a larue qd mount

Moved my aimpoint magnifier and comp m4 onto the m&p 15-22...haha overkill . That set up will get moved to the sbr when it's built.
Sweet! That looks badass. I actually think I would do something exactly like that with my S&W but I think I'm going to sell it.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:34 AM   #447
Reedo302

That looks great. You must have a really long LOP to have the UBR back that far. Of course, I'm a half step above a circus midget, so who am I to talk?

Glock Armorer

Old 03-13-2012, 07:08 AM   #448
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Ejection pattern is affected by both the extractor and ejector. The power of ejector is important, but the extractor's ability to hold onto the rim of the cartridge is important. Think of it like if you have ever flicked a booger (don't act like you haven't). If you just flick your finger, you can get some distance, but if you use your thumb to press the top of the finger to get some more resistance and snap to it, you get more distance. Then your wife yells at you for flicking a booger instead of walking into the bathroom to wrap it in TP and put it in the garbage.

As far as the DVDs, I have no clue.
Best analogy ever, and it makes perfect sense!

So can the extractor have too firm a grip on a cartridge and have a detrimental effect on ejection and/or performance of the system? I'm thinking of BCM specifically, and their use of the firmer spring and the o-ring. Being BCM, I can't see them offering something that would hurt the performance.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #449
M3_POWER

My Ride: 2005 M3
Scope looks sick AJ. Let me know how you like it. I got the 3-12x.... You went with the BDC reticle right?

As for your light strikes, it's definitely your springs bro. I was reading guys were having the same problems with the yellow springs.

On a side note, I'm a little frustrated with Larue. I made a purchase close to 3k and they won't even leave the A2 flash off the rifle. Their response was they don't modify order and build a "complete" rifle (unless I want to switch a muzzle device that they carry). I plan on installing my battle comp so I have no need for the A2. They informed me the muzzle device is held on by green loctite, which seems to be impossible to remove. I'm trying to convince them to just install the A2 without applying the loctite. Such a pain in the ass for such a minute request...

Last edited by M3_POWER; 03-13-2012 at 09:51 AM.
M3_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #450
M3_POWER

Quote:
If you don't plan on wearing it for long periods of time, I really like the MS3 from Magpul. I'm taking my first real class next month so it will be a trial by fire as to how much it hurts after ten hours. just practicing drills in my office, it works well for my needs. The advertise it as a one or two point sling, but I think that's more wishful thinking than anything else.

I think it mostly depends on if you prefer a one or two point sling. I've heard great things about the Vickers sling, and is probably one that I will pick up in the future.
Hope no one walks in on you.... HR would be freaking out
Old 03-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #451
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Thanks for the sling rec's guys

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #452
Reedo302

Quote:
Best analogy ever, and it makes perfect sense!

So can the extractor have too firm a grip on a cartridge and have a detrimental effect on ejection and/or performance of the system? I'm thinking of BCM specifically, and their use of the firmer spring and the o-ring. Being BCM, I can't see them offering something that would hurt the performance.
No, it really doesn't cause any issues. There are a lot of people running the whole kit, and it works. I was given a bunch of free ones from BCM at my last EAG Tactical course and I've installed them on other rifles, including my brother's Daniel Defense BCG which has a 3-coil extractor spring (WTF Daniel Defense?!?).
I believe that Noveske came out and said to not mix that o-ring with the 5-coil extractor, but everyone else kind of ignored them and has never really had anything happen as a result. I run it on my bolts, and it gets great extraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_POWER View Post
Scope looks sick AJ. Let me know how you like it. I got the 3-12x.... You went with the BDC reticle right?

On a side note, I'm a little frustrated with Larue. I made a purchase close to 3k and they won't even leave the A2 flash off the rifle. Their response was they don't modify order and build a "complete" rifle (unless I want to switch a muzzle device that they carry). I plan on installing my battle comp so I have no need for the A2. They informed me the muzzle device is held on by green loctite, which seems to be impossible to remove. I'm trying to convince them to just install the A2 without applying the loctite. Such a pain in the ass for such a minute request...
LaRue are a bunch of weirdos in this issue. They don't ship the gun with any parts you replace with other parts, like getting the SureFire brake and then they don't give you the A2. Not only that, but they don't pro-rate the gun with the options you get. It's annoying, but LaRue has a tendency to do weird stuff like that.

Glock Armorer

Old 03-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #453
M3_POWER

Quote:
No, it really doesn't cause any issues. There are a lot of people running the whole kit, and it works. I was given a bunch of free ones from BCM at my last EAG Tactical course and I've installed them on other rifles, including my brother's Daniel Defense BCG which has a 3-coil extractor spring (WTF Daniel Defense?!?).
I believe that Noveske came out and said to not mix that o-ring with the 5-coil extractor, but everyone else kind of ignored them and has never really had anything happen as a result. I run it on my bolts, and it gets great extraction.

LaRue are a bunch of weirdos in this issue. They don't ship the gun with any parts you replace with other parts, like getting the SureFire brake and then they don't give you the A2. Not only that, but they don't pro-rate the gun with the options you get. It's annoying, but LaRue has a tendency to do weird stuff like that.
Told them I want to pay the difference for a Magpul STR stock instead of the MOE stock, and that was a no go. Very weird indeed....
Old 03-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #454
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Cancel the order and build it yourself? I'm actually not sure what you're building, but now I come to think about it, most uppers come with some sort of muzzle device anyway I think. It probably has something to do with protecting the threads.

I'm with you though; its a pain in the ass to have to order something that you're going to just take off when you get it. But, I think it's just how we have to do some of this stuff. Like for instance, I wanted to order a new M3 or 911 without wheels/tires, exhaust, and seats. Why? Because I want to put aftermarket rims on it, a race exhaust, and recaros or used GT3 seats. That alone would save me like $15000-20000 off the MSRP, depending on the car. But they won't do it. i guess Larue is basically doing the same thing.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #455
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
I'm about 90% decided im going to go with a 10.5 noveske chf upper with switchblock. Then troy folding sights and gotta figure out my stock and lower parts.

Quote:

As for your light strikes, it's definitely your springs bro. I was reading guys were having the same problems with the yellow springs.

Yeah I have a set of red jp springs I'll probably swap in.

I went with the 3-12 bdc in the 158 mount. Going shooting tomorrow..I'll let you know how I like it. The glass is super clear. not a fan of the flip up caps it came with but they are easily replaced.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #456
M3_POWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Cancel the order and build it yourself? I'm actually not sure what you're building, but now I come to think about it, most uppers come with some sort of muzzle device anyway I think. It probably has something to do with protecting the threads.

I'm with you though; its a pain in the ass to have to order something that you're going to just take off when you get it. But, I think it's just how we have to do some of this stuff. Like for instance, I wanted to order a new M3 or 911 without wheels/tires, exhaust, and seats. Why? Because I want to put aftermarket rims on it, a race exhaust, and recaros or used GT3 seats. That alone would save me like $15000-20000 off the MSRP, depending on the car. But they won't do it. i guess Larue is basically doing the same thing.
It's a complete rifle from them. I just want to add some "tweaks" for my personal liking. I suppose when you own a company you can do whatever the fawk you want haha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
I'm about 90% decided im going to go with a 10.5 noveske chf upper with switchblock. Then troy folding sights and gotta figure out my stock and lower parts.

Yeah I have a set of red jp springs I'll probably swap in.

I went with the 3-12 bdc in the 158 mount. Going shooting tomorrow..I'll let you know how I like it. The glass is super clear. not a fan of the flip up caps it came with but they are easily replaced.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer
Good to hear the glass is clear and that you also went with the 158 mount. I was stuck between the 104 and 158 and decided with the 158 as well. Let me know if you replace the caps.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #457
speedcrazy1532

My Ride: is over
Quote:
Nope. Apparently it was functioning fine, but was hitting the deflector in a weird spot.
My casings hit in that exact same spot. I thought it was a normal place. Especially considering I've seen the same wear marks on several heavily used Colt LE's.

-Phil
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #458
Reedo302

It's really not a big issue. More a quirk of a rifle than anything. I have wear there too, but just not like that. It's just unusual wear, not unacceptable wear. It's nothing to make a big deal over as long as it's not a problem IMO.

Quote:
It's a complete rifle from them. I just want to add some "tweaks" for my personal liking. I suppose when you own a company you can do whatever the fawk you want haha...

Which rifle are you going with again? PredatAR or OBR?

Glock Armorer

Old 03-14-2012, 01:19 AM   #459
M3_POWER

Quote:

Which rifle are you going with again? PredatAR or OBR?
PredatAR
Old 03-27-2012, 01:12 AM   #460
Reedo302

Just got back from some training, but I had a discussion with another LEO who had a problem with his S&W M&P15T. This is the second time in two weeks I've heard of problems with the 15T model. The issue is with the gas block, and the set screws loosening and the gas block shifting, causing the rifle not operate properly. The first sign of a problem is short-stroking due to loss of gas pressure. If you have any M&P15 rifle with a low-profile gas block that is secured with set screws, make sure to regularly check the screws for tightness. Mark them with a permanent marker or a scratch so you can tell if they start to loosen. If this is a problem that persists, the only thing you can do is to pin the gas block with a taper pin. Threadlocker fluid like Rocksett and red Loctite will not reliably hold up to the heat of the gas block.
Just an FYI to anyone with one. Still great rifles, just a small problem to watch out for. It's the main reason why I prefer to pin my gas blocks.

Glock Armorer