E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
///BeckeR

My Ride: 03 TiAg 330i ZHP
ZHP Suspension refresh: Koni STR.t or H&R cup kit?

Whats up guys. It's been a while since I've put any money into mods on my ZHP, so I figured it was about time to give her a gift I'm looking to refresh the suspension, but I'm on a budget. I want OEM quality, lower ride height, and most of all: longevity.

KONI is having their annual sale and I can pick up a full set of STR.t's for $338 shipped! I'm thinking of pairing them up with some H&R race springs or Eibachs. What do you guys think of this setup?

My other choice is the H&R Cup Kit I've heard great things about but Im not sure if I need to spend the extra cash when I can get the KONI's for cheaper.

Also, what else am I going to need for the install? Mounts, bushings ect? My ZHP is at 71.5k miles now and I plan on DIY'ing this myself.

Let me know what route you guys think I should go.

Thanks

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
///BeckeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
Chrsb5

My Ride: 2004 330i
I'm interested in knowing the general consensus on the Koni STR.T as well.
Chrsb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
///BeckeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrsb5 View Post
I'm interested in knowing the general consensus on the Koni STR.T as well.
They seem like a great OEM alternative plus a lifetime warranty and lowering capabilities. I'd like to hear more about them for e46 owners.

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
Old 03-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
jaymar88

My Ride: Acura
I just received my warranty replacement STR T from Koni this week. Installed with Eibach Sportlines in April 2011. Front two are blown. Fingers crossed these replacement last longer.

Overall ride quality if is good. Stiffer than OEM Sport. Hindsight I wouldve gotten the yellows.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Bake

My Ride: AW F10 535 M-Sport
I installed an H&R Cupkit on my ZHP in Fall 2010 and it has been a great setup so far. A bit stiffer than stock sport suspension, but still very comfortable on my 18" winter setup. Ride is on the firm side with my summer 19's, but that is to be expected. I don't know much about Koni's paired with H&R or Eibachs, just wanted to share my thoughts on the Cupkit.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
///BeckeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymar88 View Post
I just received my warranty replacement STR T from Koni this week. Installed with Eibach Sportlines in April 2011. Front two are blown. Fingers crossed these replacement last longer.

Overall ride quality if is good. Stiffer than OEM Sport. Hindsight I wouldve gotten the yellows.
Did the shocks blow prematurely because of the springs? We're they too aggressive?

Can you post some pictures of your car with this setup? I might go this route

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
Old 03-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
jaymar88

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb1028 View Post
Did the shocks blow prematurely because of the springs? We're they too aggressive?

Can you post some pictures of your car with this setup? I might go this route
The sportlines are low but not excessively low. I think they may be a little undervalved for these springs. The yellows would have probably been more suitable. Less than a year old and 20k miles, I'd call that premature.

I don't have any recent pictures so this is the best I could do.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
///BeckeR

Quote:
The sportlines are low but not excessively low. I think they may be a little undervalved for these springs. The yellows would have probably been more suitable. Less than a year old and 20k miles, I'd call that premature.

I don't have any recent pictures so this is the best I could do.

I went ahead and ordered the sport lines and the strt.t's this morning. We'll see how they hold up for me, I drive about 10k a year and the roads here are pretty smooth. I figure that even if I do have problems, KONI will just send me new ones. The yellows are probably a better choice for the springs but I really don't have the cash to get them.

I love the stance with the sport lines.

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
Old 03-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
jaymar88

yeah. The stance is perfect and it would be even better on rims, but I can't justify spending 1500 on rims and tires for a car worth maybe 6k? HAHAHA. At least she still drives nice.

You'll enjoy the setup. Our roads here in San Diego are terrible and could be a major contributing factor in the accelerated wear. I'd reccomend replacing the upper strut mounts and adding the strut mount reinforcement plates while you're at it. Cheap effective insurance.

BTW, the sportlines give an uneven rake. I had to pull both top and bottom rear spring pads. A little noise once in a while but the stance is much better than with both pads installed.

Last edited by jaymar88; 03-16-2012 at 02:23 PM.
jaymar88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
I was going to post that I love my H&R cup kit... good luck with your new setup.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
They seem like a great OEM alternative plus a lifetime warranty and lowering capabilities.
You took the words out of my mouth on the Koni Oranges. Can't wait to hear your review of them!

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #12
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Our roads here in San Diego are terrible and could be a major contributing factor in the accelerated wear. I'd recommend replacing the upper strut mounts and adding the strut mount reinforcement plates while you're at it. Cheap effective insurance.
This is one of my fears relating to my upcoming suspension refresh. I split my time between San Diego and Prescott Arizona. I would challenge a man to find two places with worse average road conditions. I'm strongly considering the STR.T and I would love to lower my car but I already scrape all over the place when I'm in Arizona and driving on surface streets in San Diego is quite a chore when trying to negotiate potholes and cracks. Not to mention I drive around 20k a year.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #13
///BeckeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
You took the words out of my mouth on the Koni Oranges. Can't wait to hear your review of them!
I'm excited to try this setup out. What's your view on the Oranges with an aggressive spring like the Sportlines?

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
Old 03-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #14
///BeckeR

Quote:
yeah. The stance is perfect and it would be even better on rims, but I can't justify spending 1500 on rims and tires for a car worth maybe 6k? HAHAHA. At least she still drives nice.

You'll enjoy the setup. Our roads here in San Diego are terrible and could be a major contributing factor in the accelerated wear. I'd reccomend replacing the upper strut mounts and adding the strut mount reinforcement plates while you're at it. Cheap effective insurance.

BTW, the sportlines give an uneven rake. I had to pull both top and bottom rear spring pads. A little noise once in a while but the stance is much better than with both pads installed.
Ahaha I know what you mean. Hard to believe these things are going for 6k now, they still feel like they're worth in the 20s!

I was planning on replacing the rear shock mounts and reusing the fronts (I've heard the rears tend to wear).

I did come across a thread yesterday saying its a good idea to pull the spring pads on the rear to reduce the rake. I think I'll remove the bottom pads first, see how I like it and then take the top ones out if I need more low!!

What size spacers do you guys think I could run with my ZHP wheels and the drop?

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
Old 03-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #15
jaymar88

I finally installed the replacement str.t's (as well as front sway bar bushings, endlinks, strut tower reinforcement plates, fcabs and new bumpstops). The driver strut was blown and was the cause of my bottoming out. Not obvious when out of the car but I'm sure it'll show itself on the dyno. The replacement right front strut was installed and turned out to have a loose spring perch. Had to reinstall the old strut (which wasn't terribly bad).

Contacted Koni this morning and they're sending out another strut to replace the "replacement" and have taken care of return shipping. Koni has been great and the car feels exponentially better (primarily because of the strut and the FCABS)

I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #16
///BeckeR

Quote:
I finally installed the replacement str.t's (as well as front sway bar bushings, endlinks, strut tower reinforcement plates, fcabs and new bumpstops). The driver strut was blown and was the cause of my bottoming out. Not obvious when out of the car but I'm sure it'll show itself on the dyno. The replacement right front strut was installed and turned out to have a loose spring perch. Had to reinstall the old strut (which wasn't terribly bad).

Contacted Koni this morning and they're sending out another strut to replace the "replacement" and have taken care of return shipping. Koni has been great and the car feels exponentially better (primarily because of the strut and the FCABS)

I'll keep you posted.
Bummer man. Hope everything works out for you.

Forgot to update this thread, I decided against the STR.Ts and contacted importrp, I had my order changed to the Koni Sport Yellows to be safe.

Ill bump the thread with new info when I do the install.

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
Old 03-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #17
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
I'm excited to try this setup out. What's your view on the Oranges with an aggressive spring like the Sportlines?
For mild springs I think the Koni Oranges are great. More aggressive springs, I typically suggest Yellows. I'd consider the Oranges a "sport +" shock where they Yellows are for aftermarket modifications (lowering more than say an inch etc).

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #18
|2eckLesS

My Ride: 2004 330ci
bump for update. Trying to decide the same thing right now.

Brian
|2eckLesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #19
mynewe45ride

My Ride: E46
Just curious as to where do u see the sale as i'm waiting for a good deal for my shock+strut refresh. Txs.
Dec 2011 - window regulator, vcg, vanos seals, fuel filter, PS hoses+resorvoir, water pump, wp pulley, belts, thermostat, spark plugs, springs, FCAB & RCAB
Aug 2012 - Driver & Passenger Seat Belt Tensioner to fix Airbag light
Dec 2013 - Rear Diff & subframe bushing, Shocks & Struts, Wheels
mynewe45ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #20
mynewe45ride

My Ride: E46
Sorry for my question ..never mind .. This is an old thread ..
Dec 2011 - window regulator, vcg, vanos seals, fuel filter, PS hoses+resorvoir, water pump, wp pulley, belts, thermostat, spark plugs, springs, FCAB & RCAB
Aug 2012 - Driver & Passenger Seat Belt Tensioner to fix Airbag light
Dec 2013 - Rear Diff & subframe bushing, Shocks & Struts, Wheels
mynewe45ride is offline   Reply With Quote