E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
UUC Motorwerks, *******

My Ride: 7s, M5s, M3s, others
Guess what UUC has? GENERATION 2 FCABs!

Available for:
all 2000-2006 M3: [ CLICK HERE ]

all 1999-2005 330, 328, 325, 323, 318 (all variants); [ CLICK HERE ]
For our complete website catalog, please [ CLICK HERE ]

BIG BRAKE KIT HEADQUARTERS!

ALL CURRENT UUC SPECIALS:
-[ CLICK HERE ]
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Awesome! I'll definitely consider these next time. What are the differences between the M and non-M? Could you use M on non-M?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 03-16-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
UUC Motorwerks, *******

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Awesome! I'll definitely consider these next time. What are the differences between the M and non-M? Could you use M on non-M?
Basically the same design, but critical dimensions are different. You cannot interchange them (and there wouldn't be any point anyway!).

Brackets are also different. M3 has provision for bolting on the under-tray plus other dimensional changes.

Bottom line: order the parts designed for your car.

-[ CLICK HERE ]
Old 03-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Cool. Sounds good. I guess this is because you're taking the bracket into account. Cause IIRC, some people use M3 CAB on their non-Ms... or maybe I have that mistaken for another car. but it appears from what you say that both perform equally. What are the life expectancy on these? And would the fact that these prevent fore-aft movement would that put extra strain on the CA balljoints? Or negligible?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
I don't think these prevent fore and aft movement, it says they handle all of the torsional forces the normal bushings do. I almost creamed myself when I saw this. Bout time someone came up with a permanent solution to one of the most often replaced parts on the E46!!! You gooooooo Rob! Next time I am due, I will seriously consider these depending on how long I forsee myself keeping my car (probs forever).

This also reminded me of the Wheeler Dealers show I saw last night on the Lotus Elan. It had weak guibo's because the rubber couldn't handle all of the vibrations of the drive shaft, so some lady and her company created a total solution CV joint with shaft included to fully replace the drive shaft and guibo's. She said it should last indefinitely.

LOVE the limited lifetime warranty on these! Rob, can you explain what the "limited" part refers to? thanks!
Old 03-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
I don't think these prevent fore and aft movement, it says they handle all of the torsional forces the normal bushings do. I almost creamed myself when I saw this. Bout time someone came up with a permanent solution to one of the most often replaced parts on the E46!!! You gooooooo Rob! Next time I am due, I will seriously consider these depending on how long I forsee myself keeping my car (probs forever).

This also reminded me of the Wheeler Dealers show I saw last night on the Lotus Elan. It had weak guibo's because the rubber couldn't handle all of the vibrations of the drive shaft, so some lady and her company created a total solution CV joint with shaft included to fully replace the drive shaft and guibo's. She said it should last indefinitely.

LOVE the limited lifetime warranty on these! Rob, can you explain what the "limited" part refers to? thanks!
from uuc's site:

The OE design of the FCAB is a simple rubber bushing. The part itself is subjected to torsional forces (twisting), lateral forces (side to side), and longitudinal forces (in and out).

All that is common sense by just looking at it visually, but I think UUC is implying that the solid nature of this new product prevents any movement in the above directions

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
UUC Motorwerks, *******

Quote:
What are the life expectancy on these?
We really don't expect them to wear out while any particular person owns the car. 100K? 200K? Possible depending on environmental factors, grit that could get it, that sort of thing. But realistically, we don't think you'd ever have to replace them... that's why the lifetime warranty is easy for us to offer.

Quote:
And would the fact that these prevent fore-aft movement would that put extra strain on the CA balljoints? Or negligible?
That's a reasonable expectation, to have some extension of the balljoint life... but a lot of the balljoint wear occurs from standard motion cycling.

Quote:
I don't think these prevent fore and aft movement, it says they handle all of the torsional forces the normal bushings do.
The limitation of fore/aft movement is how the OE bushing allows the arm to push backwards further, especially as the OE rubber weakens.

Quote:
"Limited" means we don't cover accident damage, fire damage, if they were put on backwards, if they were deliberately modified, silly stuff like that. They are covered for all reasonable use.

-[ CLICK HERE ]
Old 03-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
Mesa3077Boogie

My Ride: 325i Sport Package 0
That price is awful. Forget about it. got some decent poly ones already installed in brackets for under $100 , 27K and still tight.
Mesa3077Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
nk_zhp

My Ride: ZHP / E30 M3
I agree on the price. Kudos to the product designers but I find that the HD bushings provide an awesome balance between rigidity and comfort, cost less than half of these and last 80K+.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

These products cost time and money to design, test, and manufacture, especially for a relatively smaller company. I think the price is spot on. Track guys might benefit more from this

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
I'd be interested to learn more about what has been done to address the reported shortcomings of the 1st Gen product which has been around for over 4 years now. How was the control arm interface modified to address the dimensional variations found among the various brands of CAs? Has the bearing been upgraded, I seem to recall some sort of complaints related to those? Are the bearings expected to be maintenance free or should people plan to clean and repack them with grease periodically (and if so, at what interval)?
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Rob,

I already have the gen1. What is the difference.between gen1 and gen2?

sent from HTC EVO
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
UUC Motorwerks, *******

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
I'd be interested to learn more about what has been done to address the reported shortcomings of the 1st Gen product which has been around for over 4 years now. How was the control arm interface modified to address the dimensional variations found among the various brands of CAs?
Effectively, we've turned it inside out. The original version had a central metal sleeve that went around the control arm pin, with damping material around that.

The new version has the damping material in the center, so it is slightly tight on the control arm pin, gripping it.

To refresh the understanding of the original problem, some aftermarket control arms are cast out of spec... they don't match the correct dimensions set by BMW, so they would be loose in our bearing which was designed to match the BMW dimensions. Not critical with the OE rubber, but the same flexible nature of urethane also solves the problem.

Quote:
Has the bearing been upgraded, I seem to recall some sort of complaints related to those?
The noise was due to the problem expalined above, the arms loose within the bearing. Solved.

Quote:
Are the bearings expected to be maintenance free or should people plan to clean and repack them with grease periodically (and if so, at what interval)?
As with any lubricated part, periodic maintenance is recommended. How often depends mostly on environmental factors, how much grit and road salt is used in your region. The good news is that it is very easy to service these. If you had to do it any more frequently than 2-3 years, I would be surprised!

-[ CLICK HERE ]
Old 03-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #14
UUC Motorwerks, *******

Quote:
Originally Posted by nk_zhp View Post
I agree on the price. Kudos to the product designers but I find that the HD bushings provide an awesome balance between rigidity and comfort, cost less than half of these and last 80K+.
Very different part. Might as well say that a 323 is reasonably quick and transports you to work perfect well, why waste your money on the M3. Same logic, but not everybody would agree with you!

Different parts for different purposes. Upgraded suspension components like thesea are intended for the enthusiast driver who expects durable and track-worthy performance.

-[ CLICK HERE ]
Old 03-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #15
flashmeow
Banned User

as you guys already know I am a big fan of UUC and have been defending the company on here religiously. however, the only UUC product that I was unhappy with was my GEN1 control arm bushing.
I have the ZHP control arms (OE) and the control arms actually slip in and out of the UUC control arms bushing when I drive over speed bumps. I hope this GEN2 will be better. my GEN1 is so bad (I still have it installed) that I just bought some OE control arm bushings and debating whether i should change them out.

I am waiting for some review on the GEN2 and if the reviews are great then I am going to buy them. If not, I am going to stick to OE/OEM bushings

Last edited by flashmeow; 03-17-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #16
UUC Motorwerks, *******

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
I am waiting for some review on the GEN2 and if the reviews are great then I am going to buy them. If not, I am going to stick to OE/OEM bushings
Please call me on Monday - 678-679-5360, I'd like to review an option with you. Thanks!

-[ CLICK HERE ]
Old 03-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #17
yetieater

My Ride: '03 330i
66mm wishbones? Is this the size that's on the ZHP control arms?

bullet proof one piece at a time
my page on BMW Performance parts for the E46: clicky
yetieater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #18
UUC Motorwerks, *******

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetieater View Post
66mm wishbones? Is this the size that's on the ZHP control arms?
The number itself refers to the updated bushing size that came with the updated arm specs from BMW. BMW has made a few changes to the bushing and arm assembly over the years (first in late 1999, then in 2001) to deal with the unexpectedly short lifespan of the OE parts.

No matter what, if you are replacing arms, you will get the correct arms from any source... nobody makes the old-style any more. Any 2001 model or older should definitely have the updated arms installed at the same time as the FCABs.

And also, no matter what, if you've got arms on your car that are getting close to 10 years old (or more than 50K miles), you should be replacing them anyway at this point. The ball joints wear out and are not serviceable, the entire arm must be replaced.

330 ZHP arms are technically a different part number than standard E46 arms... but they are 100% interchangeable. To clear up a persistent misunderstanding that I hear from customers, 330 ZHP arms are not same as E46 M3 arms.

-[ CLICK HERE ]
Old 03-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #19
flashmeow
Banned User

Rob...you have PM!!!!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #20
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks View Post
Please call me on Monday - 678-679-5360, I'd like to review an option with you. Thanks!
Does this option include a FAT discount on the bushing providing flashtwosix provides a great review?

In for review

OVER A MILLION VIEWS