E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #21
dcaron999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 186
My Ride: 2002 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron999 View Post
The previous owner did not care to replace/purge his summer windshield fluid when winter came around (transition from warm to freezing weather up here in Canada).
Impossible to edit my original post, so Im adding this recommendation:
To avoid damage to the dealicate headlight washing system due to seasonal weather transitions and freezing temperatures, owners with headlight washing option should use winter windshield fluid all year round, even during summer. Simply stock up on the liquid during winter.

It's too easy to forget to empty your summer fluid, and replace it with winter fluid. One can easily forget to purge the summer liquid, when suddenly, your car is exposed to freezing weather.

Last edited by dcaron999; 01-06-2012 at 04:23 AM.
dcaron999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #22
mjn77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Herts, UK
Posts: 19
My Ride: 330D Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron999 View Post
No need to remove the bumper! Worst case scenario is when the telescopic arm has a leak, and you need to dismantle your headlight to get access to the arm, sitting underneath it. See first post pictures for reference: 4th is the telescopic arm.

See exploded diagram in 1st post to help you identify the tubing junctions. The electical connection is also relatively easy to access without having to remove anything. Your mechanic probably disconnected the electrical connection, and capped off the fluid output ... Can you provide pictures?
Thanks. I'll take photos tomorrow, when its light outside.
__________________
2004 330D Sport in Estoril Blue

mjn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #23
mjn77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Herts, UK
Posts: 19
My Ride: 330D Sport
Sorry for the delay, here is a picture of the washer bottle. Space is pretty tight where the red cap is, not sure what to remove to get the tube connected again?

__________________
2004 330D Sport in Estoril Blue

mjn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #24
dcaron999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 186
My Ride: 2002 330xi
First off, the outlet with the red cap is pointing in the wrong direction. See orientation of my functional and connected pump, where my finger is pointing in the pic below.

Now for a view from the top ...

When you remove the cap off your pump, your tank will emtpy itself, so may you want to extract your washing liquid first. The pump can be removed by lifting it straight out of the container, without any tools, and barely any force. You then must find the main flexible black tubing and connect it back to your pump outlet. You'll notice on the above picture that there is a plastic black lock ring on a white female junction, which slips over the male pump outlet connector. This black tubing leads to both of your telescopic arms and nozzles. See part #1 on diagram in my first post.

I hope this helps you with your issue ...

You most likely have a leak with your passenger side nozzle, just like I had, so you want to order and replace that ...

Last edited by dcaron999; 11-24-2011 at 07:07 PM.
dcaron999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:34 AM   #25
SharkmanBMW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 336
My Ride: 03 330xi, 4th bimmer
Send a message via MSN to SharkmanBMW
dcaron - C'est merveilleux!!!

Thank you for the write up, great work. I have a slow leak, turns out to be the O-Ring around the pump/tank.
The system works perfectly, except for the slow leak.
My input on this topic:
If your pumps work and you are still losing fluid, check the seal between tank & pump. Apparently the dealer sells the O-Rings separately, I will be going this week, fingers crossed!
I also found this nice photo DIY that is helpful, the guy repaired his pump, but you can buy them for under $10 online!
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...sher+pump+seal
__________________
^^ ><((({>
H&R Sport, Bilstein E46 Sport (Front), Bilstein E36 M3 Sport (Rear), Rogue Engineering RSMs
SharkmanBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #26
jeepo23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: cdn
Posts: 1,196
My Ride: 02 330
So my headlight washers don't spray. It does not leak, but what I noticed is that I can hear that cylindrical pump running when I spray.
I am assuming the front one is the headlight washers and the rear one is the windshield?

What I tried is to disconnect the rear one, run the front one and watch the fluid level drop but it does not.. The pump runs but doesn't seem to take any fluid. Any idea where my issue lies? This mean a broken pump?

Last edited by jeepo23; 01-03-2012 at 02:05 PM.
jeepo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:35 AM   #27
dcaron999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 186
My Ride: 2002 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepo23 View Post
So my headlight washers don't spray. It does not leak, but what I noticed is that I can hear that cylindrical pump running when I spray.
I am assuming the front one is the headlight washers and the rear one is the windshield?

What I tried is to disconnect the rear one, run the front one and watch the fluid level drop but it does not.. The pump runs but doesn't seem to take any fluid. Any idea where my issue lies? This mean a broken pump?
Most likely a broken pump, blocked tubing, or blocked output on your container. Be prepared to lose a lot of your fluid while doing the tests below, You may want to save it first (by suction tool or other manual pump).
#1 - Try pulling out headlight pump (by exerting weak vertical pull), and see if liquid drains out of the washer liquid container. This will ensure your container is not the issue, and that debris is not blocking the passage to the headlight pump.
#2 - Try disconnecting headlith pump output tubing. Fluid should free flow out immediately.
#3 - Try activating your pump, without output tubing attached to it. Fluid should spray out into your engine bay. If it doesnt, you need a new pump, and strainer (see OEM part numbers listed below.

WASH PUMP HEAD LAMP CLEANING DEVICE, part # 67128377430 .

Strainer for wash pump, part # 61678374382.

Bought mine off ebay for $14 in late 2010 (AutoLampsPlus), but they dont carry it anymore. Stills works after tow Candaind winters.
Found another store (Deutsche Parts) that sells one for $27 here. Unsure about quality ...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BMW-E46-E90-X...#ht_4691wt_948

Last edited by dcaron999; 01-06-2012 at 04:58 AM.
dcaron999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:07 AM   #28
dcaron999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 186
My Ride: 2002 330xi
to jeepo - I found this thread, which describes your issue exactly ...

http://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread.php?tid=3583

I posted/trimmed down the text here for your convenience ...
I had the same problem. It's the easiest fix, took me 5 minutes to fix. I would turn on the wipers and hear the headlamp washer motor run but neither of the jets came out. If you look at the windsheild washer fluid resevoir, there are two cylindrical black motors, one closest to the front bumper, and one opposite. The one closest to front bumper is the one for the headlamps. Get someone to help you because you need them to activate the wipers for you to check whats wrong, (if you want to save washer fluid, just unplug the black cylindrical motor attached to the windshield washer fluid resevoir thats furthest away from the front bumper, that motor is for the windsheild wipers).

What I did was I unplugged the hose from the headlamp washer pump and put my finger over the now open pump outlet (It will be pouring out washer fluid anyway so you'll have to put something over it to stop it). I then had the person in the car activate the wipers to turn on the headlamp washer pump (If you turn on your lights with your key in position #2 right before ignition, the first activation of the windsheild washer will activate the headlamp washer pump). Now what happened was the pump activated, but I felt NO PRESSURE on my finger what so ever (The pump is really loud and will vibrate just incase your not sure if it working or not).
This is an indication of a stripped gear or something in your headlamp washer pump.

To install the new pump is very easy ( *** As soon as you pull the old pump out of the windsheild washer fluid resevoir it will POUR OUT FLUID LIKE CRAZY so you have to do this quick but read further on). Unplug the hose that runs into the old headlamp washer pump. Pull the old headlamp washer pump straight up and out of the windsheild washer fluid resevoir (it takes almost no effort at all) and QUICKLY drop the new one right in place of the old one and QUICKLY plug the hose that runs into the headlamp washers back into the NEW PUMP. The hose will ALMOST CLICK into place. Then simply activate the headlamp washers and watch them work in all their glory!

Its not a problem with the jets because its HIGHLY UNLIKELY both fail at the same time because they are clogged or otherwise. Its also not a kink in the hose because the single hose that plugs into the headlamp washer pump splits into two seperate hoses, one for each jet. If there was a kink, at least one of the jets would work becase there is only a few inches in the main hose before it splits and you would see the kink that was stopping the flow to both jets.

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem, good luck!!

Last edited by dcaron999; 01-06-2012 at 05:15 AM.
dcaron999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #29
jeepo23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: cdn
Posts: 1,196
My Ride: 02 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron999 View Post
to jeepo - I found this thread, which describes your issue exactly ...

http://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread.php?tid=3583

I posted/trimmed down the text here for your convenience ...
I had the same problem. It's the easiest fix, took me 5 minutes to fix. I would turn on the wipers and hear the headlamp washer motor run but neither of the jets came out. If you look at the windsheild washer fluid resevoir, there are two cylindrical black motors, one closest to the front bumper, and one opposite. The one closest to front bumper is the one for the headlamps. Get someone to help you because you need them to activate the wipers for you to check whats wrong, (if you want to save washer fluid, just unplug the black cylindrical motor attached to the windshield washer fluid resevoir thats furthest away from the front bumper, that motor is for the windsheild wipers).

What I did was I unplugged the hose from the headlamp washer pump and put my finger over the now open pump outlet (It will be pouring out washer fluid anyway so you'll have to put something over it to stop it). I then had the person in the car activate the wipers to turn on the headlamp washer pump (If you turn on your lights with your key in position #2 right before ignition, the first activation of the windsheild washer will activate the headlamp washer pump). Now what happened was the pump activated, but I felt NO PRESSURE on my finger what so ever (The pump is really loud and will vibrate just incase your not sure if it working or not).
This is an indication of a stripped gear or something in your headlamp washer pump.

To install the new pump is very easy ( *** As soon as you pull the old pump out of the windsheild washer fluid resevoir it will POUR OUT FLUID LIKE CRAZY so you have to do this quick but read further on). Unplug the hose that runs into the old headlamp washer pump. Pull the old headlamp washer pump straight up and out of the windsheild washer fluid resevoir (it takes almost no effort at all) and QUICKLY drop the new one right in place of the old one and QUICKLY plug the hose that runs into the headlamp washers back into the NEW PUMP. The hose will ALMOST CLICK into place. Then simply activate the headlamp washers and watch them work in all their glory!

Its not a problem with the jets because its HIGHLY UNLIKELY both fail at the same time because they are clogged or otherwise. Its also not a kink in the hose because the single hose that plugs into the headlamp washer pump splits into two seperate hoses, one for each jet. If there was a kink, at least one of the jets would work becase there is only a few inches in the main hose before it splits and you would see the kink that was stopping the flow to both jets.

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem, good luck!!
Thanks dude! Read the full version on the website. Makes sense, as soon as it warms up I will be swapping the pump out.

Thanks again boss.
jeepo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #30
mrc.engr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wash. DC area
Posts: 25
My Ride: 1966 E-Type
dcron999 says: "There are several good DIY's on this board and others, and the BMW TIS can help you also to remove the headlight(s)."

What is "BMW TIS" ??
mrc.engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #31
mrc.engr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wash. DC area
Posts: 25
My Ride: 1966 E-Type
Question Right and Left Telescoping Self-retracting Assemblies ?

Hi guys,

Ref: 2005 330i E46 sedan w/ winter (headlight washer) package

I'm new to E46's, but have lots of hands-on mechanical experience elsewhere so I jumped right in when my both headlight washers were not working.

Fwiw...... I heard the headlight washer pump working, but nothing from the headlight squirters, nor did either headlight squirter doors open.......so there must have been a loss of fluid pressure that opens the squirter doors. Investigation found the passenger side push-in hose telescoping arm plastic connection was seriously fractured.......probably due to plain water freezing in the plastic connector.

Strangely, with the above, my washer fluid container held fluid and my windshield washers worked fine and also held washer fluid without any leaks anywhere. I'm told the headlight washer pump allows fluid to pass through at all times and the only thing keeping the 5.3 liters of reservoir fluid from draining out the check valves in each headlight squirters.

If this plastic connector was all broken-up and virtually severed by water freezing inside it...... why didn't the 5.3 liters of windshield/headlight washer reservoir drain out on the ground ? Curious indeed.......but I can assure you the windshield washers worked fine for the past 2 months as I used them many times.

Moving on........

I pulled both headlamp assemblies out.... a real pain in the arse locating and removing the headlight assembly bottom two 8mm hex securing bolts.

At the headlight the squirter assemblies are in good working order. As mentioned earlier in this thread by dcon999, I blew through them with my mouth in the direction of fluid travel and the internal check valve would not allow my breath to pass through so as to keep the 5.3 liters of reservoir fluid from draining on the ground. But when I applied a air nozzle to them they allowed the pressurized air to flow from the nozzles easily. Good..... no need to buy new nozzle assemblies.

I looked at several on-line parts diagrams and chose RealOEM site.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...61&fg=45&hl=12
...... and surprisingly nothing said "right" or "left" for the telescopic headlight washer arms.......so I bought:

A. Two (2) Headlight Washer Cleaner Telescopic Extending Arms......item #6 in this diagram.
Again.......no mention of "right" or "left". Kind of strange I thought........but maybe they were the same part as they both carried the same part #
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...3&d=1294763965

B. Three (3) hose connectors, just in case I broke some....... item #2 in the same above diagram.

C. Headlight washer pump...... item #4 in this parts diagram
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...83&hg=61&fg=45

This afternoon, feeling I had what I needed to make full repairs I removed both headlight assemblies, main fluid reservoir, both washer pumps (windshield & headlamp)...... degreased, washed and cleaned all surfaces... ready to reassemble. I lubed all "O" rings with silicone grease and their mating surfaces to ensure a proper and easy fit.

I started with the drivers (left) side and all went well until right at the end where I wanted to push the squirter assembly into the telescoping self-retracting arm....... problem. The new self retracting arm has a alignment female slot facing down ......but the old (original) squirter I took off the car had the alignment slot facing up. WTF ??

I couldn't believe my eyes. I again asked myself...."Is there a "right' and a "left" to these telescoping arm assemblies ? I went back to the parts diagram to see. No..... no "right"...... no "left"........but that's not what I had in my hands. Parts don't lie when you try to assemble them.

Also, the clips that lock the telescoping assembly into place on the bottom of the headlight housing were facing the wrong direction. Frustrated and certainly not having the right part, I simply removed the male protrusion on the squirter and
heated the plastic clips and pushed them in the right direction so they would "click" into their respective slots......and I installed the squirter assembly on the telescoping arm..... but all this certainly begs the question:

Is there a "left" and "right" to these telescoping self-retracting arm assemblies ?

Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

My best......... Mike in Maryland
mrc.engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #32
jeepo23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: cdn
Posts: 1,196
My Ride: 02 330
Checked my pump today.. I unplugged the hose that comes from the actual pump and saw fluid pouring out. Then I had someone in the car actually activate the pump and it ran but the water didn't come out any faster or stronger.. this indicates to me the pump is dead?

Can someone comment on this for me?
jeepo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #33
mrc.engr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wash. DC area
Posts: 25
My Ride: 1966 E-Type
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepo23 View Post
Checked my pump today.. I unplugged the hose that comes from the actual pump and saw fluid pouring out. Then I had someone in the car actually activate the pump and it ran but the water didn't come out any faster or stronger.. this indicates to me the pump is dead?

Can someone comment on this for me?
#1. Fluid should not be coming out of the pump unless the pump is running. The fact that there was fluid coming out.....probably a blown seal that was damaged when the water in it froze this winter.

If the pump never froze over the winter, then the seal is gone......either way it appears the pump needs replaced. 2 min job. 30 mins if you clean up everything like you should and apply silicone grease to all sealing surfaces......which nobody tells you to do.........but a real good for the rubber bits and sealing.

#2. When the pump was activated did you hear the pump running ?

Overall I'd say your pump needs replacing.

Hope your spring loaded extension arms, plastic connectors and spray heads are ok.

Cheers...... Mike
mrc.engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #34
jeepo23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: cdn
Posts: 1,196
My Ride: 02 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc.engr View Post
#1. Fluid should not be coming out of the pump unless the pump is running. The fact that there was fluid coming out.....probably a blown seal that was damaged when the water in it froze this winter.

If the pump never froze over the winter, then the seal is gone......either way it appears the pump needs replaced. 2 min job. 30 mins if you clean up everything like you should and apply silicone grease to all sealing surfaces......which nobody tells you to do.........but a real good for the rubber bits and sealing.

#2. When the pump was activated did you hear the pump running ?

Overall I'd say your pump needs replacing.

Hope your spring loaded extension arms, plastic connectors and spray heads are ok.

Cheers...... Mike
Yah my pump runs I can hear it clearly. I even unplugged the windshield one not to waste fluid while testing there.

So the pump itself cannot be revived? Just really need a new pump huh?

I would see everything else is good as I don't see any leaks or anything like that
__________________
** Removed **
jeepo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #35
mrc.engr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wash. DC area
Posts: 25
My Ride: 1966 E-Type
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepo23 View Post
Yah my pump runs I can hear it clearly. I even unplugged the windshield one not to waste fluid while testing there.

So the pump itself cannot be revived? Just really need a new pump huh?

I would see everything else is good as I don't see any leaks or anything like that
Well.... since you can hear the pump.....this verifies the electrical circuit is operating, but the pump isn't pumping fluid. This is classic and the same thing that happened to mine..... the pump impeller has broken off inside.

This happens when the pump is frozen and the driver uses the squirters. "snap" it goes.

You need a new pump...... no big deal they are cheap on Ebay ($15). Don't pay stupid dealer prices... $80--$100.
mrc.engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #36
jeepo23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: cdn
Posts: 1,196
My Ride: 02 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc.engr View Post
Well.... since you can hear the pump.....this verifies the electrical circuit is operating, but the pump isn't pumping fluid. This is classic and the same thing that happened to mine..... the pump impeller has broken off inside.

This happens when the pump is frozen and the driver uses the squirters. "snap" it goes.

You need a new pump...... no big deal they are cheap on Ebay ($15). Don't pay stupid dealer prices... $80--$100.
Thanks for the info! Where on ebay do you see them for $15?
All I find are $45+...
Is the windshield one interchangeable with headlight pump?
jeepo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #37
mrc.engr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wash. DC area
Posts: 25
My Ride: 1966 E-Type
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepo23 View Post
Thanks for the info! Where on ebay do you see them for $15?
All I find are $45+...
Is the windshield one interchangeable with headlight pump?
I got mine off ebay for $15 two months ago. What can I say?

Windshield and headlight pumps are not interchangeable ......that would make too much sense .

Headlight pump operates at much higher pressure to over-come spring loaded plungers that pop-out and self-return..... so it has a clip-on pressure connector on it's out-put.

Windshield pump only has simple hose push-on.... not much pressure, so no high pressure connector.
mrc.engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #38
jeepo23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: cdn
Posts: 1,196
My Ride: 02 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc.engr View Post
I got mine off ebay for $15 two months ago. What can I say?

Windshield and headlight pumps are not interchangeable ......that would make too much sense .

Headlight pump operates at much higher pressure to over-come spring loaded plungers that pop-out and self-return..... so it has a clip-on pressure connector on it's out-put.

Windshield pump only has simple hose push-on.... not much pressure, so no high pressure connector.
Think you can share the ebay seller name with me from where you got it for $15.

Thanks for all your help!
jeepo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #39
mrc.engr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wash. DC area
Posts: 25
My Ride: 1966 E-Type
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepo23 View Post
Think you can share the ebay seller name with me from where you got it for $15.

Thanks for all your help!
Not a clue who it was...... just do ebay search for E46 headlight washer pump. Lots of them there.
mrc.engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #40
jeepo23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: cdn
Posts: 1,196
My Ride: 02 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc.engr View Post
Not a clue who it was...... just do ebay search for E46 headlight washer pump. Lots of them there.
That's what I do and the cheapest options are $40+..

If you don't mind, under your "my ebay" you can see past purchases where you can see the sellers name..

If it's too much trouble, no big deal. Thanks for the help you've provided so far!
jeepo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use