E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 182 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #41
Defuse

My Ride: 02 M3
You can do a tethered jailbreak of 5.1

http://www.redsn0w.us/2012/03/jailbr...910b6-how.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretster View Post
Would like to try tethering to my iphone (4s) but I foolishly upgraded to ios 5.1 and the jailbreak isn't out yet I don't think to enable me to run a personal hotspot via mywi (or whatever it is I used before).
Defuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #42
Ninety-9 SE-L

My Ride: 2001 M3, 3.5L Sentra
Any tethering ideas for Droid users? I have a rooted Evo3D and so far I can get the Dynavin to see the network I am hosting, but I can't authenticate the connection.

Evo, I've been running your Rom for a few days, now. It works very well, better than the stock one. Few things I wanted to mention, just for any updates:
1. The Boot time is indeed significantly longer than your previous rom, probably the additional apps. I'm well out of my neighborhood and on the road before I can even open Poweramp.
2. Tasker_v1.1u2.apk still crashes and corrupts the OS during installation.
3. I've only tried once, so far, but I can't get Titanium backup to communicate with SU for root permissions.
Ninety-9 SE-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:23 AM   #43
Cretster

My Ride: E90 320D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defuse View Post
You can do a tethered jailbreak of 5.1

http://www.redsn0w.us/2012/03/jailbr...910b6-how.html
Thanks - would rather wait for an untethered one though I think.
It's been done, but just isn't available yet.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:32 AM   #44
Cretster

Hmmm, well I got a new bluetooth dongle (ebay one linked to) that Listermint confirmed worked with Android on his Dynavin but no luck for mine - still won't work with this dongle (on the new M3 rom that is).

That's 3 I've tried without any luck now unfortunately.

Interesting though as this is the same dongle, and the same Android Rom we are both using - so why does yours work and mine doesn't???

Kernel was mentioned somewhere back, but I'm not that familiar with how that fits in in terms of the roms etc. Is it the case that when we flash a rom we are not touching the kernel on these devices? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

If that's the case then I suppose it must be the case that Listermint's unit has a different kernel to my one?
Is there an easy way to find out for us both what kernel we are running, or is it possible that the official Dynavin rom includes a newer kernel or something?
If so, then flashing to that maybe fixes the bluetooth issue, and then flashing to M3 custom roms after that means if the kernel isn't touched then the functionality remains intact I guess.

Will try following the same process anyway - ie flash the most recent official rom, check BT functionality, then if it works (or not!) flash to the new M3 rom again and see if it remains working.

Can't see what else could be different as we have the same D99 Android unit.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #45
Cretster

Well, tried the latest dynavin rom and still no luck.

So same unit, same dongle, same rom, but still no Bluetooth.

What am I doing wrong?!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #46
podge3

My Ride: Rover 75 CDTi
There is something funny with the BT adapters.

I got one from eBay and it works fine for me - both on the latest Dynavin ROMs and this new ROM.

I recommended the adapter to another Dyna user and while it looks the same as mine it doesn't work for some reason.
podge3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #47
Scott183

My Ride: '00 Civic, 05 Dodge
Quote:

What am I doing wrong?!
I've yet to purchase one of these units, but here's an idea, excuse me if it sounds stupid. How about trying another bluetooth source, maybe a a friends phone. Could it possibly be the phone you are sending the signal from has a problem. Do you have to set a four digit pass code in the unit, like othe BT devices? Maybe possibly clearing the device from your phone and attempting a new "pairing" would help. Just an idea, good luck. I've been watching the progress and development of these units on the boards for a short time now, and am a bit warey of purchase, due to the know stability/ connectivity issues I've seen.
Scott183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #48
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
I guess this only work with the D99?
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #49
listermint

My Ride: E46 M3 '02
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
I guess this only work with the D99?
I believe the op has an earlier d90.
listermint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #50
crristic

My Ride: e46 320i
Quote:

What am I doing wrong?!
You bought only one dongle.
Now seriously, try buying 4-5 cheap dongles from amazon or ebay, one of them will eventually work. That was my strategy and i got 1 out of 4 working.
crristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #51
m3evolution

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety-9 SE-L View Post
Any tethering ideas for Droid users? I have a rooted Evo3D and so far I can get the Dynavin to see the network I am hosting, but I can't authenticate the connection.

Evo, I've been running your Rom for a few days, now. It works very well, better than the stock one. Few things I wanted to mention, just for any updates:
1. The Boot time is indeed significantly longer than your previous rom, probably the additional apps. I'm well out of my neighborhood and on the road before I can even open Poweramp.
2. Tasker_v1.1u2.apk still crashes and corrupts the OS during installation.
3. I've only tried once, so far, but I can't get Titanium backup to communicate with SU for root permissions.
Im not happy with the boot time either and currently working on a new rom that strips out everything down to the bare bones. Its boot time is a lil faster than the stock rom. But the extra speed come at a cost. My R1 rom is a complete full rom with Android Market, Gmail, Google Maps, etc all included in it.

This new one im gonna name it R1SS. Super Speed/Super Stripped.

- no google maps
- no android market
- no gmail
- no contacts
- no calendar
- no voice search
- no extra apps included
- no bootanimation
- v6 supercharger Activated and ready at first boot

I tested that Tasker_v1.1u2.apk verision that you linked to and it gave me the same problem giving out some weird dead code errors non stop. Try a different version or from a different source. Im currently using Tasker 1.2 without any problems.

Titianium backup gives me some trouble too but going to app manager and doing a force close and clear data to reset Titanium backup usually clears that up and working
m3evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #52
ottonavigps
Past Site Sponsor

very nice work
ottonavigps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #53
podge3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3evolution View Post
Im not happy with the boot time either and currently working on a new rom that strips out everything down to the bare bones. Its boot time is a lil faster than the stock rom. But the extra speed come at a cost. My R1 rom is a complete full rom with Android Market, Gmail, Google Maps, etc all included in it.

- no google maps
- no android market
- no gmail
- no contacts
- no calendar
- no voice search
- no extra apps included
- no bootanimation
I really like your ROM but agree that it is a bit slow to boot.

Did the voice search actually work?

The new version should be much faster but I think you should leave Market/Play as most people will want to install apps.

Will you include the option for boot animation even if no animation is active?
Old 03-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #54
siffion

My Ride: 330ci Vert M Sport
hello all. this is some serious work here well done

im new on here, but a regular on e46zone.com, the enco unit is just starting to make an appearance over there, and i myself have 1 on order awaiting delivery. i have a fews question though im hoping that can be answered

does anyone know if the m3evo rooted rom is compatible with the enco, or can the supplied rom be rooted with any of the mainstream rooting apps out there?

the original dynavin d99 gui, does anyone know if this is a launcher that sits on the original dynavin firmware, and if it is, does anyone have a link to it?

cheers in advance

siffion
siffion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:37 AM   #55
listermint

My Ride: E46 M3 '02
Quote:

- no google maps
- no android market
- no gmail
- no contacts
- no calendar
- no voice search
- no extra apps included
- no bootanimation

I tested that Tasker_v1.1u2.apk verision that you linked to and it gave me the same problem giving out some weird dead code errors non stop. Try a different version or from a different source. Im currently using Tasker 1.2 without any problems.

Titianium backup gives me some trouble too but going to app manager and doing a force close and clear data to reset Titanium backup usually clears that up and working
One other thing i notice, maybe im crazy but have we lost dual boot? On the stock one when powered obviously dyna booted straight away but android booted in the background itself. To me it appears the android now only boots when i select the Navi button which then commences boot.

Or am i mad, need to do some more checking.

Cretser, I honestly dont know what the problem is, Is yours a D99? what model do you have?
listermint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #56
m3evolution

How long is the average boot time for you guys on my original R1 rom? Can you time how long it takes to boot from powering on till the home screen appears? I just updated my rom to R1.1 and the boot time should be faster but before you update time how long it takes to boot with R1 rom you have installed now for comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by podge3 View Post
I really like your ROM but agree that it is a bit slow to boot.

Did the voice search actually work?

The new version should be much faster but I think you should leave Market/Play as most people will want to install apps.

Will you include the option for boot animation even if no animation is active?
Old 03-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #57
NECTOP

My Ride: Audi A3 Sportback
I agree with podge3

Could you please keep Android Market, because most apps are installed and bought from it. Thank you.
By the way, I think that biggest speed boost will give removal of Launcher EX. It's really buggy and it's very slow. Can you use stock launcher?
NECTOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #58
m3evolution

I included Market and all Google apps in latest version R1.1 and the boot time should still be faster then R1.

LauncherEx has lots of option you can set to make it faster like the app drawer from horizontal to vertical if you prefer etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NECTOP View Post
I agree with podge3

Could you please keep Android Market, because most apps are installed and bought from it. Thank you.
By the way, I think that biggest speed boost will give removal of Launcher EX. It's really buggy and it's very slow. Can you use stock launcher?
Old 03-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #59
NECTOP

My Ride: Audi A3 Sportback
m3evolution

Yes, but I tied to set Launcher EX to maximum speed. In a few reboots it's start to freezes at boot, so I have to re-flash Dynavin.
NECTOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #60
podge3

Quote:
How long is the average boot time for you guys on my original R1 rom? Can you time how long it takes to boot from powering on till the home screen appears? I just updated my rom to R1.1 and the boot time should be faster but before you update time how long it takes to boot with R1 rom you have installed now for comparison.
Boot time is about 40 seconds.