E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 01:04 AM   #21
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30m3ochoa View Post
So this is an update, I tested the solenoid and it seems to be working. The rod extends when locked and retracts when unlocked. Any ideas as to what it could be?
It is your spring for sure! Buy part no. 51171888374 and clip it in -- your door will hold shut once again. It is one of the cheapest Genuine BMW parts you can buy at the dealer!

Highlighted your pic in yellow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1332372460.267780.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	443033  
Old 03-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #22
Shanealan

My Ride: 325i No heatbeat yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityjohn View Post
It is your spring for sure! Buy part no. 51171888374 and clip it in -- your door will hold shut once again. It is one of the cheapest Genuine BMW parts you can buy at the dealer!

Highlighted your pic in yellow.
Thanks cityjohn, I have the exact problem with my car!!!

Shanealan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #23
E30m3ochoa

My Ride: E46 325ci
Thanks but how do i remove it?
E30m3ochoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #24
TX78666

My Ride: 330i ZHP, N55 135i
Quote:
So I looked at the part you were talking about but I am not to sure what you are saying. I took some pics but I don't know if they will be good enough for you to see how it is.

How would you roll the filler gasket back?
Spray the part in these pics with graphite. That's what fixed it for me. Grease might be better, but graphite is what I had on hand. Be sure to have a paper towel or rag, to keep the spray from going everywhere. If it does, goof off gets it off.

TX78666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #25
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:
Thanks but how do i remove it?
Using needlenose pliers, pull the center of the spring out from the slot in the door. The loose spring can now be slid down, then up, out of the holes holding the ends.

When you put the new one in, do the ends first, then the middle just pushes into the door's slot until it's clipped in.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #26
E30m3ochoa

My Ride: E46 325ci
Thank you guys, I went yesterday to get the part and I was surprised to hear that it was going to cost me .54cents. By the way, I saw some pretty awesome cars

Going back to the topic here, so it turns out that the malfunction was being caused by a groove that was forming on the spring. I replaced it with the new one and it worked like a charm. Now I can be pleased to know that my tank door is secured and locked.

Thanks a lot guys for you help and I hope I wasn't to much bother. I appreciated the help.

On a side note, does anyone know where to get the harmon kardon stocked speakers?
E30m3ochoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #27
Shanealan

My Ride: 325i No heatbeat yet
Quote:
Thank you guys, I went yesterday to get the part and I was surprised to hear that it was going to cost me .54cents. By the way, I saw some pretty awesome cars

Going back to the topic here, so it turns out that the malfunction was being caused by a groove that was forming on the spring. I replaced it with the new one and it worked like a charm. Now I can be pleased to know that my tank door is secured and locked.

Thanks a lot guys for you help and I hope I wasn't to much bother. I appreciated the help.

On a side note, does anyone know where to get the harmon kardon stocked speakers?
E30m3ochoa, I got you beat, .43 cents at my local stealership. And my fuel door works now like it should.
Shanealan is offline   Reply With Quote