E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #961
eu teo

My Ride: 330xi
can we please stop this and just lets figure out how to make best of this product, please.
dont matter if you have a 1999 e46 full of rust or an original CSL e46 lets all respect each other cuz this is a e46fanatic forum and all e46 should be welcome. and help each other out with our cars.

thanks
eu teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #962
Keith Billanti

My Ride: TitanSilber//M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eu teo View Post
can we please stop this and just lets figure out how to make best of this product, please.
dont matter if you have a 1999 e46 full of rust or an original CSL e46 lets all respect each other cuz this is a e46fanatic forum and all e46 should be welcome. and help each other out with our cars.

thanks
Well said. Finally, someone worthy of the roundell.
Keith Billanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #963
mattthecoxcomb

My Ride: 2005 325i
Bump!

These are great questions. Also, some of mine from last week remain unanswered. Of particular interest is:

1. All things being equal, how is the sound quality running B146 through OEM (non-HK) speakers as compared to BMW Business CD?

2. Bluetooth phonebook functionality--can a paired device's phonebook be accessed through the GUI on the B146 and the steering wheel controls? Some users seem to have indicated that when placing a call, the number must be dialed using the touchpad in the GUI on the B146 or, alternatively, using the paired phone itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin325ci View Post

1. Does bluetooth streaming continue to function when you switch to NAV for the WinCE version?

2. Do the steering controls work while in NAV? (Track up/down, volume)

3. Is there an ipod resume function (ipod will resume last song played after getting a call or turning the radio off)? Any noises while using ipod mode?

4. Does bluetooth continue to stream music even after selecting reverse? I currently have a rear camera and in my D90, bluetooth streaming resumes as soon as you get out of reverse. I've read the D99 thread and it appears that bluetooth does not resume after using reverse

5. controls - what does pushing the left knob do? what about the right knob? Is there a subwoofer level control?

6. Volume level - is it the same for all the sources? In my Dynavin, the radio tuner is way louder than the rest of the sources. It's really annoying.
It would be really great to see some answers/thoughts from members who have already received and installed theirs.

On that note, and with respect to policing others' posts: we are all here to learn from and share in the collective wealth of information offered through the forum. One may disagree with or even choose to ignore the comments of another member. But when any member is made to feel that his or her comments are unwelcome, it undermines the forum's role as a repository of knowledge. Every experience, rumination, DIY, or gripe that is relevant to these cars (and associated products) is entitled to expression here--indeed, it should almost be obligatory because some other member could learn something from it.

It's also useful for vendors on the forum to be informed about the wants of their customer base. In this particular case, the folks selling these Enco head units should know that many customers would prefer to use an alternate and arguably more modern and mainstream payment method without paying some kind of penalty. If the lack an alternate method dissuades JUST one perspective buyer, costing them a SINGLE sale, they need to be aware of it. It's good business.
mattthecoxcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #964
Keith Billanti

My Ride: TitanSilber//M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthecoxcomb View Post
Bump!

These are great questions. Also, some of mine from last week remain unanswered. Of particular interest is:

1. All things being equal, how is the sound quality running B146 through OEM (non-HK) speakers as compared to BMW Business CD?

2. Bluetooth phonebook functionality--can a paired device's phonebook be accessed through the GUI on the B146 and the steering wheel controls? Some users seem to have indicated that when placing a call, the number must be dialed using the touchpad in the GUI on the B146 or, alternatively, using the paired phone itself.

It would be really great to see some answers/thoughts from members who have already received and installed theirs.

On that note, and with respect to policing others' posts: we are all here to learn from and share in the collective wealth of information offered through the forum. One may disagree with or even choose to ignore the comments of another member. But when any member is made to feel that his or her comments are unwelcome, it undermines the forum's role as a repository of knowledge. Every experience, rumination, DIY, or gripe that is relevant to these cars (and associated products) is entitled to expression here--indeed, it should almost be obligatory because some other member could learn something from it.

It's also useful for vendors on the forum to be informed about the wants of their customer base. In this particular case, the folks selling these Enco head units should know that many customers would prefer to use an alternate and arguably more modern and mainstream payment method without paying some kind of penalty. If the lack an alternate method dissuades JUST one perspective buyer, costing them a SINGLE sale, they need to be aware of it. It's good business.

Thats my point exactly. Well said.

We are all supposed to be brothers here. Respect each other.
Keith Billanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #965
sackz23

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthecoxcomb View Post
Bump!

OK, i"ll try my best to answer these questions.

1. Sound quality is very good compared to business CD. I do hear some very faint crackles and hiss (could be my gains) when no music is playing and nothing once the music starts.

2. From my experience, once the phone connects via bluetooth it will load all your contacts onto the unit and you can choose using the screen. I have not attempted to use steering controls in this mode.

3. Bluetooth functions while in NAV and you can use steering controls while in NAV as well.

4. Music will resume after getting a call. Of course, I was not using the iPhone to play and music and receive a call. But I would assume it would be the same.

5. I cannot answer about the reverse camera at this time.

6. Pushing the left button will turn off the unit. Can't remember what pushing the right one does (IIRC nothing). In settings -> sounds -> subwoofer control. It's very basic, but you can raise or lower the bass and the subwoofer separately.

7. Seems like the radio tuner is louder to me, but it really doesnt matter to me.

Best I could do for now.
sackz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #966
r2t2

My Ride: '01 330i '06 M3
Well sackz... That works for me. Thanks for the quick review. One other question. Does it display RDS like the OEM system? It's not a deal breaker, but I'm curious.
'08 Kawasaki Concours C14
r2t2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #967
kawracerx

My Ride: 2003 325xi
it does show rds informationm,but in very samall font on top right of screen which is a bummer hard to read it .pushing the left button will display bass,treble,etc... so easier than going to sound settings,holding it down for 2 seconds turns off radio.yes the phonebook is available and no you do not have to type the number to dial.either find name in phonebook or touch the incoming,outgoing or missed call log on radio and touch name or number you want and touch dial button.my complaint is that randomly at startup it does not start at screen left when turning off car,and i would upgrade nav to 2.0 like everyone else does for up to date maps and p.o.is.
kawracerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #968
sackz23

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2t2 View Post
Well sackz... That works for me. Thanks for the quick review. One other question. Does it display RDS like the OEM system? It's not a deal breaker, but I'm curious.
Yes, it displays RDS although it's not very good IMO. Letters are small and the scrolling sometimes overlaps.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #969
Bimmerphile

My Ride: 02 M3 SG/IR
Can someone please explain the difference between getting the HVAC replacement kit, and just doing it without the kit? Possibly with pictures to explain? I am considering buying this but $80 for the kit is a deal-breaker. Thanks guys.
Bimmerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #970
tonycajjo

My Ride: 2006 330Ci
Capacitive screen

Saw a post which mentioned an updated unit, one with Capacitive screen. (i'd imagine a higer resolution as well)

well, i'll be following this as i'm very intrested in a unit... not sure which but if one with Capacitive screen is comming out that would be great.

wonder how long???
tonycajjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #971
E46iT

My Ride: 2004 325i Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerphile View Post
Can someone please explain the difference between getting the HVAC replacement kit, and just doing it without the kit? Possibly with pictures to explain? I am considering buying this but $80 for the kit is a deal-breaker. Thanks guys.
you dont really need the bracket. the bracket gives you the curves to match the bottom corners of the the cliemt control unit so its more of a finish then anything, you can just remove the sunglass holder and put the cliemt control in its place...
Old 03-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #972
fuzioneer

My Ride: BMW 330ci
I have the B046 installed in my UK BMW 330ci, I do have a few issues though

1. Sat Nav doesn't work, initially iGo wasn't installed so being a novice i clicked the Navigation Icon in Android which came up with a message that hangs about "checking gps co-ordinates", I finally found the file browser app and accessed the sd card (supplied from manufacturer) and found the iGo.apk file, clicked on and installed this, but now when i click on the iGo icon the app starts and comes up with a message about "program database missing" or similar, I am assuming it is looking for maps or something ? Has anyone else had this issue ? What files are supposed to be on the Maps SD Card (Mine has a folder called iGO and a LOST.DIR Folder and an Android Folder)

2. How do you access Android buttons for Menu and Back within the Android interface ?

3. How do you access the contents of a USB Key plugged in via the supplied converter USB to Mini SD Cable within the Android interface ?
fuzioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #973
fuzioneer

ah a bit of Googling mentions editing the sys.txt file, how do i do this on the SD Card ?
Old 03-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #974
fuzioneer

another aspect is the screen on mine appears slightly misaligned i.e. when i bring up the Android interface the text goes ever so slightly off the screen to the left and the Home icon is very hard to press on the top left of the screen, anyone else noticed this ?
Old 03-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #975
kvinal

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46iT View Post
you dont really need the bracket. the bracket gives you the curves to match the bottom corners of the the cliemt control unit so its more of a finish then anything, you can just remove the sunglass holder and put the cliemt control in its place...
Mine without the kit the hvac controls didn't quite "lock" in place. The bracket made it look perfect. Do it without the bracket and if u want it later u can get it. To install later u won't have to remove stereo because it totally separate from that part.
kvinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #976
sackz23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvinal View Post
mine without the kit the hvac controls didn't quite "lock" in place. The bracket made it look perfect. Do it without the bracket and if u want it later u can get it. To install later u won't have to remove stereo because it totally separate from that part.
+1
Old 03-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #977
kvinal

But if your a perfectionist like most us BMW guys u will end up buying it lol. Or rigging something because not clipped in drove me nuts!
kvinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #978
Wickedly

My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvinal View Post
But if your a perfectionist like most us BMW guys u will end up buying it lol. Or rigging something because not clipped in drove me nuts!
+1 I already bought mine
Wickedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #979
E46iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzioneer View Post
ah a bit of Googling mentions editing the sys.txt file, how do i do this on the SD Card ?
remove sd card from head unit, instert it to you laptop or PC using a micro sd to SD card adapter, browse to the file location and edit the file you want.
also do a backup of the entire gps micro sd card before you make any changes in case.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #980
E46iT

i sent payment via WU on modnay am, they confirmed @ pm my payment was revceived, emaill jolly yestureday and she advised me that mine wont be shipped out yet as there are other orders in front. so i guess either they build to order or demand is high.
so if they say to you you have it within 2-3 days after payment is bologny.
based on the feedback here i think mine is another week away from being shipped.