E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #101
redrum0486

My Ride: 2011 328i xDrive
Lovely. I'm in for it at the shop, huh? Also I need to follow up with you on the sunroof shade DIY...

| 2011 328i xDrive | Titanium Silver [B]|
Past: | 2004 330xi | Titanium Silver
redrum0486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #102
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
I wonder if the outer tierod balljoints could cause this too. They're the ONLY part on my front end that I haven't replaced. That or its time to give Meyle a call on their HD control arms...

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:39 PM   #103
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Am I the only one who is thinking Power Steering?
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:40 AM   #104
bishop1977

My Ride: 04 330i ZHP S/C
My noise went away after I put in new control arms in the rear. I went with some adjustable ones
bishop1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #105
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
Am I the only one who is thinking Power Steering?
There are many aspects to the "Power Steering" (in capitals--LOL) system. Please elaborate

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #106
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
There are many aspects to the "Power Steering" (in capitals--LOL) system. Please elaborate
Mhmm, yes. Quite. Indeed. The rack itself
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #107
warrior9504

My Ride: 330ci
Re-joining this thread after posting here. Forgot to add my update...or to add to the confusion. I no longer have the pirate ship creaking, I replaced the LCA and Bushings, as well as the anti-sway end links and the problem is gone. Hope this helps someone.
warrior9504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #108
redrum0486

I got a price from my indy shop to do the outer ball joints and control arms... $600 all in. Is that rape or sounds fair?

Old 03-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #109
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum0486 View Post
I got a price from my indy shop to do the outer ball joints and control arms... $600 all in. Is that rape or sounds fair?
Thats kinda high IMO for just control arms on a XI (outer ball joint is part of the control arm). I did (DIYed) the arms, inner ball joints, and bushings all for under 600. For a shop to all that I did you shoulnt be looking at more than an hour and a half of labor. You should be able to do everything I did with labor included for around $700.

If you are skilled with a wrench just do it yourself. I was suprised how easy this was and I am more of an internet mechanic than a real one. Its literally 5 fasteners on each side holding the arms/inner balljoints/bushing brackets on.
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #110
redrum0486

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCoop View Post
Thats kinda high IMO for just control arms on a XI (outer ball joint is part of the control arm). I did (DIYed) the arms, inner ball joints, and bushings all for under 600. For a shop to all that I did you shoulnt be looking at more than an hour and a half of labor. You should be able to do everything I did with labor included for around $700.

If you are skilled with a wrench just do it yourself. I was suprised how easy this was and I am more of an internet mechanic than a real one. Its literally 5 fasteners on each side holding the arms/inner balljoints/bushing brackets on.
That was for both, including parts and labor.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #111
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum0486 View Post
That was for both, including parts and labor.
Since I DIYed I guess you could say it was for both.

The "less than 600" figure I threw out was just for parts (Lemforder OEM). For example FCP Groton has the complete Lemforder kit for around ~550 shipped after 15% special.

But honestly a shop can swap the arms, inner ball joints, and replace the bushings in well under two hours. So depending on labor in your neck of the woods the 700 figure is about right I would think.
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #112
redrum0486

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCoop View Post
Since I DIYed I guess you could say it was for both.

The "less than 600" figure I threw out was just for parts (Lemforder OEM). For example FCP Groton has the complete Lemforder kit for around ~550 shipped after 15% special.

But honestly a shop can swap the arms, inner ball joints, and replace the bushings in well under two hours. So depending on labor in your neck of the woods the 700 figure is about right I would think.
Ha! I was referencing my quote... but I'd suppose that sounds about right. They told me that included 2 hours of labor.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #113
B8888KC

My Ride: Old fart E46 sedan
Sorry for reviving an old thread. I have the same issue. My pirate ship creaking noise comes when the car is hot (after being driven for hours). I first encountered this noise a year ago. Then the noise went away after a few months, disappeared completely for a few months, and it's back again now! My indy shop mechanic couldn't pinpoint the exact cause.

I had the ball joints and tie rods replaced recently, and the noise is still there. And now, there is a thumping noise whenever I go over a slightly uneven road. Funny thing is, there's no noise when I go over a SEVERELY uneven road or gravel. And the worst thing is, the dealership couldn't even find the cause. They said there was no noise The indy shop mechanic said the FCAB is fine, and the sway end links are good too. I'm going back to the shop tomorrow to see if the upper strut mount is the culprit.

PS: FYI I have the Bilstein PSS9 coilover, so I dunno if the strut mount is the same as stock

Also, could it be engine mount?

Last edited by B8888KC; 05-20-2012 at 09:50 AM.
B8888KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #114
jbrichmond22

My Ride: 00 323ci, 08 135i
Mine has this issue, is it that bad? Or is it whatevs
jbrichmond22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #115
jbrichmond22

My Ride: 00 323ci, 08 135i
Mines a 2000 323ci
jbrichmond22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #116
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
The solution on my car was the outer ball joint on the Control Arms. The ball joint was bad but the entire arm needed to be replaced. I also had the symptoms during hot dry weather and had no symptoms during wet cold weather or over the winter months.

The other possible cause was said to be the strut mount upper seals. The seal is like $2.00 but the labor to replace the seals involves removing the struts and shocks and suspension parts.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 06-18-2012 at 03:17 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #117
Mango
A full five stars, son

DelMarco is back. our armrest captain. BTW, i used your video when in a pinch to disassemble, clean, and lube my armrest. Thanks. However it still creaks. i found out what it is. its the lower tray beneath the armrest. it splits apart at the seams. haven't figured out what to do yet.. maybe i just need to buy a new one. do they sell them independently?

Mine still looks factory new, nothing visible. but when you press on the seams using your fingers, it creaks. Seems both halves are sandwiched together and whatever holds them together isn't so tight anymore

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #118
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
DelMarco is back. our armrest captain. BTW, i used your video when in a pinch to disassemble, clean, and lube my armrest. Thanks. However it still creaks. i found out what it is. its the lower tray beneath the armrest. it splits apart at the seams. haven't figured out what to do yet.. maybe i just need to buy a new one. do they sell them independently?

Mine still looks factory new, nothing visible. but when you press on the seams using your fingers, it creaks. Seems both halves are sandwiched together and whatever holds them together isn't so tight anymore
Hey bro,

yeah I was in Europe and Australia for a work program during the last month or so and busy planning this wedding. I'm back though.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #119
PJRaff

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Hi people,

I'm new to the forum. Been reading this thread to sort out my own pirate ship problem. It only started yesterday but I wanted to get it sorted asap as my ma and da intended to borrow the car tomorrow to away for the weekend. I've just replaced the control arm with ball joint and new bushing but the creaking is still there. It only happens when the break is applied in a forward or reverse motion, steering has no effect on it. It's now to late to do any more work on the car before they go. Any ideas on what to look at next?? Maybe the sway bar links or the strut bearing???

Anyway more importantly. Is the car going to be safe for them to drive or is it not worth the risk? It is going to be a 400 mile trip there and back plus any miles they do when they get there.

I appreciate any help anyone can offer. I like my parents and they are currently negotiating a new life insurance policy so a wheel coming off at 60mph+ isn't really going to do anyone any favors.
PJRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #120
GEO147

My Ride: E46 M3
I have this sound too, it is really distressing. I had the passanger (LHS) wishbone/balljoint replaced a year ago but didnt do the drivers side (RHS) which is where the creaking is comming from.

I replaced all other suspension parts last year with the exception of the upper strut mounts, but my gut feeling is that its related to the RHS balljoint so just ordered it there and will update after installation if it solves the creaking sound.

This is on E46 M3 BTW.

Last edited by GEO147; 12-27-2012 at 12:54 PM.
GEO147 is offline   Reply With Quote