E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 06:00 AM   #1
jjrichar
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330 Ci convertible
Project M54 Engine: Vibration Damper, Front Crankshaft Oil Seal

Vibration damper, front crankshaft oil seal

Link to other parts of the project
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=899347

Removal of the vibration damper is required if the front crankshaft oil seal needs replacing, or if you plan to remove the timing chain cover.

Without the correct tools, this is a really hard job. There is a bolt that holds the damper on that has a mountain of torque. 410Nm. How much is this? A lot. I bent a half inch socket wrench handle with a 2 metre long extension bar trying to get it off. I also bent a round steel extension bar to the point of being unusable. In short, there's a lot of torque on it.

There is a BMW tool that is used to hold the vibration damper while you turn the bolt. My guess is that this is an expensive tool to buy. I've read in places where people have said they used the crankshaft locking tool (goes into the flywheel at the back of the engine) to hold the crankshaft steady while turning the bolt. The Bentley manual says not to do this. My guess the reason for this is that the block is made of aluminium, and it may bend the hole the tool sits in out of shape when you are doing this.

The tool that I've made to lock into the vibration damper is very strong, easy to make, and does the job with no issues.

Here's a photo of what you are working on. Before you get down to the damper, the engine driven fan and all the belts need removing. Also I'd put something down to protect the radiator so you don't do any damage to it.

Here's the vibration damper and the bolt you are trying to remove.

Here's the tool and a brief description of how to make it. As you can see I've made it from two cast iron irrigation connectors that I found. I've cut one to make it a bit shorter so that when the two are mounted against each other they are the correct depth to fit into the vibration damper. I've used 10mm bolts to hook into the vibration damper, and a whole lot of nuts to hold the thing together. I've cut the ends of the bolt heads in different places in order to have them slot neatly inside the vibration damper and grip it well.

The way I would use the tool is to lock the crankshaft at the rear at the flywheel. This is so the crankshaft doesn't turn while you are doing this. You don't want to turn it in the opposition direction if you can help it, which would be easy to do when you start applying torque at the front. Once the crankshaft is locked, now mount the tools on the front and use a ratchet type tie down strap to bring the two bar ends together. This will put no torque on the crankshaft, and hence none at the locking tool at the rear.

Once the vibration damper is off, you can remove the crankshaft seal. The seal is really jammed in there. I'm not sure if this one was especially stuck, but it took a lot of effort, and a lot of head scratching by people who have been doing this stuff for a while. Eventually I came up with this method that worked surprisingly easily. I'd been trying for days, and this took about 1 minute. Don't be worried about scratching the crankshaft end a bit. It's extremely hard steel, and the sprockets inside, and the vibration damper slide over the top of it. A small scratch is going to make no difference. You do need to be careful with the surface of the timing chain cover that surrounds the seal. Don't damage this or you may end up with leaks afterwards.

The Bentley manual talks about a number of specific BMW tools that are used to remove the seal. Here is my solution.

When installing the new seal, get short piece of pipe that is the size of the seal. Put it against the seal, then screw in the vibration damper bolt with a big washer to pull the seal into correct position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vibration damper 07.jpg
Views:	2256
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	444125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vibration damper 01.jpg
Views:	1753
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	444126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vibration damper 02.jpg
Views:	1763
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	444127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vibration damper 08.jpg
Views:	1790
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	444128  

Name:	Vibration damper 03.jpg
Views:	1794
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	444129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vibration damper 04.jpg
Views:	1789
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	444130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vibration damper 05.jpg
Views:	1751
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	444131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vibration damper 06.jpg
Views:	1737
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	444132  

Name:	Vibration damper 09.jpg
Views:	1800
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	444133  
jjrichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

My Ride: 328i, M3, 525iT
Wow, incredible torque on that damper, my torque wrenches top out at ~340NM, (250 ft lb)
ddaniel1 is offline   Reply With Quote