E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
RangerGress

My Ride: E36 DD, E30 race car
Can an e30 318 own a Porsche GT3

Of course it can.

I was writing this for some silly thread re. a 330i vs. a KIA, but I guess that thread got spirited away.

It's a mistake to get too wrapped up in the capabilities of one car vs. another and neglect the driver. All competition is really about people, not things. Who wants to be in a checkbook competition? Not me, with 3 kids, 5 cars and a mortgage I wouldn't have a chance.

A difference in driver skill can make up for a lot. In driver ed events an e30 in competant hands passes high end cars all the time. No big deal.

An e30 318 has some charms but torque isn't one of them. And here is one in competant hands fencing successfully with Porsche GT3's. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...&highlight=318

In a race you are only in competition with cars that are in your class. But in the same race are lots of classes so there's lots of cars on the track that have very different characteristics than yours. With only 150 or so hp, SpecE30 is a low powered class. But not having much power is the best teaching platform because every mph you lose in a turn you can't get back for money or love. Cars with some ponies can get the mph back easily. Good lap times are all about good turn exit speeds because you carry that speed all the way down the next straight. Folks in high hp cars learning to drive on the track often end up using that power as a crutch and never gain good skills in optimizing turn exit speed.

The result of the above is that when racing in mixed classes it is entirely common for some high hp car to roar by you on the straight only to over-slow setting up for the next turn and put you right on his rear bumper. It's aggravating as heck because your turn becomes hosed up because he's in your way. But he won't let you by because he has 3x as much hp as you so he "knows" he's faster. Except he's not faster. He's so miserable in the turns that you'd pull away from him if he'd just get out of your way.

The e30 driver in the link above is Scott Barton, who races out of NJ in NASA and BMWCCA events. The car is a Lemons car. Speaking of which, if you guys haven't tried Lemons racing you're missing a helova lot of fun. http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

There's another outfit called ChumpCar that puts on similar events but they are oriented at folks with a bit more experience.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." E. Burke
"Most of my money I spent on cars and women. The rest I squandered." G. Best.
"Rangers, Lead The Way". Cota, BG. Omaha Beach, 1944.
www.Gress.org

Last edited by RangerGress; 03-04-2012 at 08:37 AM.
RangerGress is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
Sure they can. Last track day I was at I was keeping pace with GT3's and passing a couple WRX Sti's with my 328i. All of the above were poorly driven, but it certainly makes you feel good when you know your pushing your car to the max and the guy in the faster car is in-capable of going any faster than your slower car.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Driver will always be the best mod you can do to your car.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote