E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Calling Reedo (and others)! APEX Trigger kit for M&P 9mm?

https://apextactical.com/store/produ...php?pid54.html

It claims it's not for duty/carry use ("carry" being the keyword for me), but it claims it "mimics the trigger of a 1911". I love my 1911's trigger... that glass rod feeling. Why on earth would I not want this in my carry gun?

Another thing I found is the Duty/Carry Spring Kit (clicky clicky!) It says it allows shooters to fine-tune the trigger. Does this mean adjust the breaking point or just trigger weight?

I'd like something a little more firm (not much more) than what came with it, but I'd love a little bit of pre-travel before hitting that that glass-rod-breaking point.

Help?
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Well, first I will say that there is no non-1911 that will have a true 1911 trigger pull. I know that feeling of the 3lb "snap" of that icicle, and it sure is sweet. However, you won't get that with any M&P (or Glock if you go with the Haley Skimmer trigger). What they refer to with the 1911-like trigger is shorter overtravel, less take-up, and less reset distance.
I don't have any experience with APEX kits, but I've read exceptionally positive reviews of the DCAEK setup. If you want to just modify the stock trigger to be heavier, then that Duty/Carry spring kit would work just right I suspect.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
SPDSKTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Well, first I will say that there is no non-1911 that will have a true 1911 trigger pull. I know that feeling of the 3lb "snap" of that icicle, and it sure is sweet. However, you won't get that with any M&P (or Glock if you go with the Haley Skimmer trigger). What they refer to with the 1911-like trigger is shorter overtravel, less take-up, and less reset distance.
I don't have any experience with APEX kits, but I've read exceptionally positive reviews of the DCAEK setup. If you want to just modify the stock trigger to be heavier, then that Duty/Carry spring kit would work just right I suspect.
When you say "less take-up", do you mean less distance from when the trigger pulls to where it breaks? If so, the DCAEK has this claim:

Quote:
***This kit will reduce most of the over travel in the M&P trigger system but will not reduce pre-travel/up-take. To reduce pre-travel/up-take, see our Forward Set Sear and Trigger Kit.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
Reedo302

Yeah, I was referring to the Forward Set Sear Trigger kit in the first portion. That last portion was applicable to the DCAEK.

On a side note, I'm seriously on the verge of picking up an M&P9 tomorrow. This is very hard to not do. I'm not sure which setup I want, but I think I'm going get the DCAEK and the RAM.

Glock Armorer

Old 03-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
SPDSKTR

Quote:
Yeah, I was referring to the Forward Set Sear Trigger kit in the first portion. That last portion was applicable to the DCAEK.

On a side note, I'm seriously on the verge of picking up an M&P9 tomorrow. This is very hard to not do. I'm not sure which setup I want, but I think I'm going get the DCAEK and the RAM.
The way the gun actually shoots is amazing. It's extremely comfortable to burn through a couple hundred rounds with, but that trigger... gawd. It's like pulling your finger through gross pudding before the gun goes off. I used to think it was a great trigger until I bought my 1911. I think I'm going to opt for the FSSaT kit instead of the DCS or DCAE.

Acronyms are FUN, kids!

EDIT: Just checked out the RAM. I assume this would work with the FSSaT? It says...

Quote:
This product works in Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm, .357 Sig and .40 S&W models only that DO NOT INCLUDE a thumb safety, Magazine Disconnect or the Internal Locking System.
**PRODUCT WILL NOT WORK IN VTAC VARIANT DUE TO CHANGE IN SEAR HOUSING BLOCK CONFIGURATION.
My pistol has no thumb safety and will not fire with the magazine out of it. So, uh...

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 03-21-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
Reedo302

I just put in an order for a Raven Phantom holster for an M&P w/ TLR-1 light. Yep, gonna buy the M&P.

You need this:
https://apextactical.com/store/produ...php?pid45.html

Glock Armorer

Old 03-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
SPDSKTR

Nice holster.

So... just the RAM or the FSSaT and RAM?
Old 03-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
Locutus09

My Ride: Something Slow
Quote:
I just put in an order for a Raven Phantom holster for an M&P w/ TLR-1 light. Yep, gonna buy the M&P.

You need this:
https://apextactical.com/store/produ...php?pid45.html
My order is getting processed as we speak for my Raven Phantom. 45 Days or less, thank gawd there is a quick ship option for the M&Ps.

SPD, let me know how this goes. I'm interested in doing this to my M&P40c. Still considering if I want to remove the thumb safety or not.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
Reedo302

I ordered a tan one with the cutout and for a weapon light. I'll likely be waiting a while.

Glock Armorer

Old 03-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
Reedo302

And to continue my threadjack, as well as my bid for world domination, my M&P9 is ordered and hopefully will be in next week. Blue Label M&P9s are in high demand right now. We were able to locate two in stock at the Milwaukee store. Otherwise, it'd be a 4-8 week backorder.
I also ordered the Apex DCAEK and RAM. If I get this stuff before you do, I'll get it installed right away and give you a review of how it is.

Glock Armorer

Old 03-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #11
SPDSKTR

ME ME ME ME ME! ALL ABOUT ME! MY THREAD! ME!

Threadjack trumped.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #12
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
Quote:
And to continue my threadjack, as well as my bid for world domination, my M&P9 is ordered and hopefully will be in next week. Blue Label M&P9s are in high demand right now. We were able to locate two in stock at the Milwaukee store. Otherwise, it'd be a 4-8 week backorder.
I also ordered the Apex DCAEK and RAM. If I get this stuff before you do, I'll get it installed right away and give you a review of how it is.
Well done Reedo!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #13
Reedo302

DCAEK and RAM are installed. Holy crap! It's a whole different trigger. The trigger pull is smooth with no slop or grittiness, overtravel is practically non-existent, reset is about 25-50% shorter, and with the RAM it's a very noticeable reset sound and FEEL. Everything is superior to a stock trigger. The take-up is still long, but instead of being some mushy take-up, it has more of a double-action feel to it with some smooth resistance. It's nothing that affects your accuracy due to how light it is, though. I HIGHLY recommend getting an APEX trigger setup. It took me about an hour to install, and I was being careful and watching the videos. If I had to do it again now, it would take me all of about 15-20 minutes.

Glock Armorer

Old 03-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #14
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
What do you mean by "Blue Label" above?

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #15
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
What do you mean by "Blue Label" above?
LE box/labeling is my guess? All the gun manufacturers have a certain "color" which designates that it's sold specifically to LEO.

Reedo - this is probably mall ninja stuff, but let us know how accuracy testing is. I read a few threads where it spoke of M&P unlocking problems where accuracy at longer distances was terrible. I believe it was at distances of 20 yards and longer where people couldn't hold minute of (insert large item here) groupings.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #16
Reedo302

Blue Label refers to LE pricing. $398 for basic sights.

I'll bench it check the accuracy. When I installed the Apex Ultimate Striker Block (USB), I had to take off the rear sights. I need to make sure the zero is on anyways. I have a range trip planned next week, and I'll bench it and see where the accuracy is at. I've never heard of any guys over of Lightfighter bitching about the accuracy, but to be fair, most people are not shooting at 25yds anymore.

Glock Armorer

Old 03-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #17
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Any reason why you picked the non-safety version? I'm tempted to either finish off the Glock 9mm family, or buy an M&P.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #18
Reedo302

I really don't like external mechanical pistol safeties on guns other than 1911s. I just don't use them or need them. I've been shooting Glocks for 15 years, so I'm used to not having to deal with it. Also, for carrying it's a lot more slimline. Just my own preference is all.
Also got it without the mag safety cutoff, as that's just a useless concept IMO.

Glock Armorer

Old 04-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #19
E36 PWR

My Ride: .
o hello there,

17rd magazines
Arredondo Magazine Base Pad
Apex Competition Action Enhancement Kit.
Apex RAM
Blackhawk Pistol Leash
Ive also got a cheapo NCSTAR light (not pictured)

Coming Soon:
BLADE-TECH revolution Holster
Dawson Precision sights
E36 PWR is offline   Reply With Quote