E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 379 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #801
1AKe46

My Ride: '02 ///M3 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
What's the consensus on why some cars are fine and others fail? Metal fatigue due to exposure to the elements? Driving habits? Bushings failing causing excessive movement at the mounting point?

I just cleaned up and thoroughly inspected my rear subframe mounting points and found no cracks or signs of failures. My car has 109k miles on with and was a florida car its whole life so very little exposure to snow/salt. All the rubber bushings on the car seem to be in unusually good shape given the mileage. I am curious to know if it's as simple as keeping up on the bushings to ensure the subframe is mounted securely with movement reduced as much as possible to ensure the mounting point isn't constantly being flexed.
My bushings are in good shape, my stirs were replaced 20k miles ago, we use sand, not salt here in Ak. And my car is from Los Angeles I've only had it here since last October. I assume it already had cracking before I bought it, unfortunately, I knew nothing about subframe issues. Thanks for the reply tho
1AKe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #802
TurtleTech

My Ride: E46 M3
Has anyone be able to work with BMW NA to take their small offer money say $1500 and get it fixed correctly at a shop of your choice. I don't want bmw to replace failed parts with failed parts.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #803
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Has anyone ever had their insurance company help out, or pay for the subframe repair? Im thinking of bringing it to their attention and asking them to help, or even pay for it.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #804
Scooby24

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
Has anyone ever had their insurance company help out, or pay for the subframe repair? Im thinking of bringing it to their attention and asking them to help, or even pay for it.
Interesting thought. It's vehicle body damage...can't say what exactly as a result of, could have been a sharp impact with a pothole.

Last edited by Scooby24; 04-21-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Scooby24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:22 AM   #805
Snik
OEM ///Member

Yeah, thats what im thinking.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #806
Scooby24

Just spoke with my wife who is an insurance adjuster for a smaller company. She said if an insured were to bring a claim to her stating they found body damage at the subframe mounting points after hitting a pothole she would send an appraiser out to inspect the car. If the appraiser said he could neither confirm nor deny that it was as a result of an impact she would err on the side of caution and cover it for the insured.

Ethical debates aside, just something to consider.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #807
Snik
OEM ///Member

Will try give it a try, I already dont like my insurance rates, so if they dont help me, im dropping them. lol.

I think its a fair non collision/comprehensive claim. Not much different from vandalism or natural disaster if you ask me. Its all out of my control.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #808
Scooby24

It would be considered collision.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #809
Snik
OEM ///Member

oh. ok. cool. If i can get them to even split it with me i'd be happy. will post here once i call em.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #810
Kimaamja

My Ride: 2005 325i
Holy Fvck. I am the original owner of my 05 325i, and tonight is the first time I have heard of this! I had heard that some earlier E46's have had subframe issues, but that's it. Never got a letter, from dealer or lawyers. WTF? I get emails practically daily about some class action I am a part of for some crappy $3 reward, but never ever heard of this.

What do I even look for? It would appear that BMWNA and the dealer will tell me to F off.
Kimaamja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #811
Snik
OEM ///Member

05s dont get it as much. you can check yourself by getting under the car and inspecting the mounts, or you can take it to an indy shop and have them check for you.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #812
qthegenius

My Ride: E36 M3, E46 323i
just called my dealer and they said the lawsuit did NOT get approved, and any repairs would be handled by BMWNA on a case by case basis. I'm going to try and repair it myself I suppose.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #813
jinxie

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by qthegenius View Post
just called my dealer and they said the lawsuit did NOT get approved, and any repairs would be handled by BMWNA on a case by case basis. I'm going to try and repair it myself I suppose.
The settlement did get approved, however there was a time limit, which i believe was September 10, 2010 or so...

The "case by case" thing was whether or not the would just do a fix (weld & reinforcement) or replace it all together. This depended on the length of the cracks (if any were found) and up to BMWNA

They sent out letters after the settlement to e46 owners that they could track, but you could also just go to a dealer and have it inspected for free, and fixed or replaced free if needed. I got mine completely replaced and it took about 3 weeks or so. (most of the time was just waiting for the new one to come in.

The bad news is, i'm pretty sure i cracked mine again after about 6 months ...could just be my shocks and bushings, but considering the receipt i got was for $4500... if it is broken i'd just get a new one and part it out.
jinxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #814
jinxie

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
05s dont get it as much. you can check yourself by getting under the car and inspecting the mounts, or you can take it to an indy shop and have them check for you.
on mine, i couldn't even see it.. the dealer thought it was okay at first glance until they took everything apart. It was so bad it ended up needing a full replacement
jinxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:45 AM   #815
dVeLoPe
Banned User

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
hello guys I have a 330Ci for about a year now and I knew nothing about this aswell when I purchased (am financing) the car after a while I belive when I step in on the clutch or let out theirs this ''creeeeak" noise could this be a sign of subframe damage?
dVeLoPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #816
Hawk3ye

My Ride: 2k 328ci, '01 Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by dVeLoPe View Post
hello guys I have a 330Ci for about a year now and I knew nothing about this aswell when I purchased (am financing) the car after a while I belive when I step in on the clutch or let out theirs this ''creeeeak" noise could this be a sign of subframe damage?
Definitely. Give details to your local dealership and then see if they'll help inspect it for free to verify the issue.
Hawk3ye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #817
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Subframe on my 3 is SEVERELY torn in the rear passenger side. Crack spider webs all the way under the trunk area

My shop (RRT) wants around 3k to fix it as the damage is extensive. Is it even worth attempting to get cash from BMW NA or is that a lost cause?

435 Horsepower 328Ci
Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #818
loayo

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Subframe on my 3 is SEVERELY torn in the rear passenger side. Crack spider webs all the way under the trunk area

My shop (RRT) wants around 3k to fix it as the damage is extensive. Is it even worth attempting to get cash from BMW NA or is that a lost cause?
Sorry to hear that ! Thank God it did not cause an accident.

You have nothing to lose but try. According to this thread they still offer help.

Also, a replacement sub-frame is probably not enough and requires a reinforcement kit.

Regards,
Loay

2001///M3/PowerchipGroup/Eisenmann/Race Flow S-Pipes/AFe Stage II/AutoSolutions/ZCPs/NGK Ir/ULF/JL Audio Amp/Sub/Clutch-Stop 12.8" 1/4mi
1990 Honda Civic DX Hatch B18c1(GSR)/CAI/Greddy Exhaust/DC Sport/H&R/Suspension Techniques/Tanabe/KDWs/Pulstar/Apex Blue Pearl from 2008 S2K CR 14" 1/4mi
2002 Odyssey EX - Secret Weapon R/Pulstar/CAI 15" 1/4mi
2011 Camry V6 SE - Uper Optik 14" 1/4mi
2001 330ci Dinan S1 [Sold]
loayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #819
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Does anyone have a contact that they would suggest using at BMW NA?

435 Horsepower 328Ci
Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #820
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
^ i think you may have voided your warranty somewhere along the line...