E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
hardtop

My Ride: 05' 3 pedals 2 doors
H&r sport cup kit ride quality

Hey all, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the h&r sport cup kit for my 05 325ci w/ sport suspension. I'm wondering how the ride quality and comfort compares to the stock sport suspension? Also, my current wheels are 17x8 1/2" +40 offset. The tires are 245/40/17 square. I'm wondering if a setup like this will rub with the drop?

Thanks for your responses.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
trippmann

My Ride: E30
Send a message via AIM to trippmann
ride quality is stiffer but not at all uncomfortable. nice improvement in handling and a good quality product. ive had them for a good 10k miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
^It seriously was the worst decision of my life to sign up for this site.
trippmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
E46Moonlight

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippmann View Post
ride quality is stiffer but not at all uncomfortable. nice improvement in handling and a good quality product. ive had them for a good 10k miles.
1+ I just installed these about a month ago. The ride is stiff but not Bad at all. You really only feel the stiffness over bumps. Handling has improved drastically. Plus the drop looks great!
You shouldn't rub, I'm sitting on 18s and have no rubbing issues.

Last edited by E46Moonlight; 02-25-2012 at 07:43 PM.
E46Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
hardtop

I just ordered my sport cup kit along with the turner shock mount kit that includes gaskets, front and rear reinforcement plates, spring pads, bump stops and dust boots. I'm excited!
Old 03-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
Imola.ZHP

My Ride: Imola ZHP
^ would you mind sharing costs and part numbers? Either here or in a PM?

I need to order mine, going the same route and need all the same parts...

Hoping my 19's don't rub, but I'm thinking they probably will in the back.

Thanks!

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus
Imola.ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #6
filipinoise

My Ride: '02 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
^ would you mind sharing costs and part numbers? Either here or in a PM?

I need to order mine, going the same route and need all the same parts...

Hoping my 19's don't rub, but I'm thinking they probably will in the back.

Thanks!
Maybe this would help...

H&R Sport Cup Kit (31019-3):

http://www.stealthauto.com/Products/...IT-E46-PR.aspx

And follow this link for the part #'s for RSM business (the OP used Meyle HD RSM's + Z3 Reinforcement Plates - a very good combo indeed). I know ECS sells a particular set that includes the RSM's, plates, gaskets, and some of the nuts already, so perhaps order that stuff from ECS and the rest of the required parts from a reputable website, like TheBMWPartStore? Should total to $760-800 in all, when paired with the Cup Kit:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=13956317
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2075240/

I take pictures in the San Francisco Bay Area.
www.eluisphoto.com

Last edited by filipinoise; 03-06-2012 at 10:56 PM.
filipinoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
e30mike

My Ride: 325i
I'm going on about 50k with my cup kit and still love it. I've done 1,000 mile road trips, snow driving, autox, and as an all around suspension setup it's great. Coming from an e30 I wish it was a little stiffer but I think a good sway bar setup will take care of that, I would definitely recommend it if you're trying to lower your car without going slammed
Old 03-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30mike View Post
I'm going on about 50k with my cup kit and still love it. I've done 1,000 mile road trips, snow driving, autox, and as an all around suspension setup it's great. Coming from an e30 I wish it was a little stiffer but I think a good sway bar setup will take care of that, I would definitely recommend it if you're trying to lower your car without going slammed
The car is still sitting about 3/4 of an inch front and rear above the advertised drop. I've been told by both h&r and a owner of this setup that they will settle within 1k miles due to the new shocks. Has anyone had an experience like this where a new suspension setup takes a while to settle? Thanks.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:33 AM   #9
Imola.ZHP

^ seems a little high, but how thick are the reinforcement plates? They would keep your car from coming down as low as "advertised," right? I'm planning to do the same setup, hopefully start ordering parts this week...

I had "slammed" cars when I was younger, so I've been there and have the t-shirt, I was just looking for a slight drop along with new suspension components. If I only get .5-.75" drop I'm ok with that...

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus

Last edited by Imola.ZHP; 03-21-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:21 AM   #10
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
The strut tower reinforcement plates raise front ride height 3 or 4mm. The rear shock tower reinforcement plates do not affect rear ride height.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Did you guys DIY the cup kit install? (or plan to)

Seems difficult if you don't have a lift. I've done headers.. but this looks more involving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
The e46 M3 is by far the most boring and worst M3 that BMW has made to date.
It's amazing to me that a non M E46 is such a beautiful car but the E46 M has never done much for me.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
Imola.ZHP

^ huh? 3 bolts up top and one below (front)? I've lowered plenty of cars and have never had the luxury of having a lift. I'm thinking 4 hours tops including putting the car on jack stands, taking off the wheels and putting them back on and torquing once finished...

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus
Old 03-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #13
hardtop

Quote:
^ seems a little high, but how thick are the reinforcement plates? They would keep your car from coming down as low as "advertised," right? I'm planning to do the same setup, hopefully start ordering parts this week...

I had "slammed" cars when I was younger, so I've been there and have the t-shirt, I was just looking for a slight drop along with new suspension components. If I only get .5-.75" drop I'm ok with that...
The rear reinforcement plates bolt on top of the towers, so there is no change in ride height. I didn't install the front reinforcement plates as I plan to run a strut bar instead and I didn't want the increased ride height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Did you guys DIY the cup kit install? (or plan to)

Seems difficult if you don't have a lift. I've done headers.. but this looks more involving.
I think headers is actually harder than this install. The hardest part was compressing the front springs onto the struts, as they are much taller than the shock shaft. Actually installing the components onto the car is very easy.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
Imola.ZHP

Ok, I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on this, see my attachment for what I'm ordering...

I'm not sure why that site doesn't just list part numbers, but oh well, its where I usually buy my parts from...

Basically in the rear, new mounts, reinforcement plates and 4 gaskets. On the front, new upper plates, mounts and reinforcement plates...

My car is and always has been a southern car, so I don't foresee needing to replace rusty washers and or nuts and bolts. Is there anything I'm missing or that someone would recommend? Are there not gaskets for the mounting points in the front as there are for the rear? (seems odd)

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, the cheapest place I've found the kit from H&R so far is bavarianx.com, $672.04 shipped, any leads on it being cheaper anywhere else?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-04-05 at 12.20.04 PM.png
Views:	243
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	445294  

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus

Last edited by Imola.ZHP; 04-05-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
You guys may have wanted to consider the ST coilovers made by KW. They were 830 shipped from fcp euro using coupon spring15. I think its only 10% off now though. Still a great deal.

Sent from my LG-P999

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
The e46 M3 is by far the most boring and worst M3 that BMW has made to date.
It's amazing to me that a non M E46 is such a beautiful car but the E46 M has never done much for me.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #16
hardtop

Quote:
Ok, I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on this, see my attachment for what I'm ordering...

I'm not sure why that site doesn't just list part numbers, but oh well, its where I usually buy my parts from...

Basically in the rear, new mounts, reinforcement plates and 4 gaskets. On the front, new upper plates, mounts and reinforcement plates...

My car is and always has been a southern car, so I don't foresee needing to replace rusty washers and or nuts and bolts. Is there anything I'm missing or that someone would recommend? Are there not gaskets for the mounting points in the front as there are for the rear? (seems odd)

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, the cheapest place I've found the kit from H&R so far is bavarianx.com, $672.04 shipped, any leads on it being cheaper anywhere else?
I believe you only need 2 gaskets for the rear (just one per side). The front doesnt use gaskets because the mounts just go into the engine compartment and water gets in there anyway. I would recommend machining off the camber alignment pin on the front shock mounts before you install them to gain adjustable front camber.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #17
Imola.ZHP

^ thanks buddy! I have 4 rear gaskets in the "cart" because I agreed with the DIY'er in the link posted somewhere in here, just to help protect the paint on both sides (although it is a southern car and rust shouldn't ever be an issue). I was thinking there should be gaskets up front to protect the paint too, I wasn't thinking about them being for water tightness in the rear for the trunk, durh, lol. I'm a bit of a fanatic about my paint, so I was wondering why there were not any up front to protect it, haha...

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus
Old 04-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #18
filipinoise

My Ride: '02 325ci
Quote:
Has anyone done business with this site before? They seem to have a decent reputation on e90post, but I'm just wondering if anything from our native forum has.. They don't seem to have selectable options for the H&R Sport Cup Kit (there are different numbers for convertibles, coupes/sedans with and without ZSP suspension, etc.), but that price is making me want to bite the bullet soon.. Anyone?

I take pictures in the San Francisco Bay Area.
www.eluisphoto.com
filipinoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #19
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
got my H&R sport cup kit from tirerack, that was 4 years ago though..ride, no regrets, i like it
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #20
SmokedBMW23

My Ride: Estoril 98 M3/4
is anyone on 19's with the cup kit? I'm thinking my rears will rub