E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 88 votes, 3.73 average.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #61
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
I still don't understand why there is not a cooling system sticky. Hell, there should be a message when you first register, telling n00bs to replace the critical often-failing cooling system parts.

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #62
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jneumann View Post
I still don't understand why there is not a cooling system sticky. Hell, there should be a message when you first register, telling n00bs to replace the critical often-failing cooling system parts.
+1 I like the idea of the popup. hahaha..

We have stickies on what MODZ U CAN HAS ON UR 3 SERIES BRO. but nothing on the #1 most critical/common failure on these cars (as well as E36 cars)

PLZ MODS?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #63
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
How can you equate the importance of a properly operating cooling system to that of giving what our members want? Seriously.

You think having a car that's cooled is anywhere near as important as one that is cool? Come on. The members here obviously need to know what M parts will fit their car, what mods are available, and how to fix reverse.

Personally, I think there ought to be a Beagle sticky, but I'll wait until you get yours first!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #64
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

hahaha. A sticky on how NOT to run over beagles?

I could add that maintaining the cooling system means no leaks. no leaks means no beagles will be harmed by licking up the sweet stuff.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #65
joeycannoli

My Ride: 911
Awesome write-up... Ordered a bunch of parts for my cooling system

Wanted to comment on this...

Quote:
Saleri (OEM) $59.76 (RMEuropean price, but maybe BMA can order it?)
I called BMA and they do have it. For some reason when you search the part number nothing shows up on their site. Use "BMW006731" for Waterpumps on the BMA site.

Still the OEM Saleri pump does not come up, but i called and they tracked it down. It is only $54 through them. Hope this helps
joeycannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #66
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeycannoli View Post
Awesome write-up... Ordered a bunch of parts for my cooling system

Wanted to comment on this...

I called BMA and they do have it. For some reason when you search the part number nothing shows up on their site. Use "BMW006731" for Waterpumps on the BMA site.

Still the OEM Saleri pump does not come up, but i called and they tracked it down. It is only $54 through them. Hope this helps
That is an AWESOME tip. Great contribution. BMA needs to add that to their site as well as fix their part images (they're now TINY and don't blow up when you click on them) I'll edit my post to reflect your part#

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #67
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
What is the purpose of replacing the radiator if it is not cracked, leaking, or clogged?
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #68
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Well let me put it this way. There are a TON of write-ups for everything on the E46. If I were to sticky this thread wouldn't that mean the other ones would have to be stickied too? Just saying and no to it being stickied.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #69
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Well let me put it this way. There are a TON of write-ups for everything on the E46. If I were to sticky this thread wouldn't that mean the other ones would have to be stickied too? Just saying and no to it being stickied.
Let me put it this way. The cooling system is one of the most important things to address on E36 and E46 vehicles, correct? There's not a sticky on it. Shouldn't there be? How many threads on warped heads do we get a week?

It doesn't have to be my thread. I could care less. As long as the correct info and enough info is there for members to use, it's fine by me.

It just so happens that this parcticular thread is informative and complete enough for many members to PM me and thank me saying this helped them a ton.

And again... there's those stickies on modifications.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #70
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
What is the purpose of replacing the radiator if it is not cracked, leaking, or clogged?
Same for replacing any other cooling part. So it doesn't fail while you're on the road!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #71
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Waterpumps fail, ETs fail. I haven't heard the rad to be an issue like the former two.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #72
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Waterpumps fail, ETs fail. I haven't heard the rad to be an issue like the former two.
Right. I understand it's less common but as a whole, replacing these parts ensures you don't warp your head. It's just one more $140 step towards protection.

We have had a few radiator failure posts recently. Blockedout has a leaking radiator

AND back on topic of helping members:

If my sticky prevented one head from being warped, my sticky would be worth $2,500.

Given that I got six messages thanking me for my sticky and that it would be used, and I had the sticky up for three days so far, that averages two helps a day. This sticky potentially saves fanatics $150,000 a month, or $1.8m annually. Given that only 10% of fanatics ever post, imagine the ones who I'm helping who you'll never hear about and will never PM me about it. Multiply that figure by 10, and I'm saving members about $18,000,000 a year. WOW!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 04-09-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #73
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
We need to Sticky this

I'll post a pic of a leaking rad as soon as I can get it, its not on my car but my friends. I;ll get it soon

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725

Last edited by Blocked Out; 04-09-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #74
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Oh, my bad. I thought it was your car with the leaking radiator. Cool. I know on E36 cars, radiator failures are VERY common. Interested to see how the E46 ones fail. Seems with the years passing by, maybe its just that time for our cars?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #75
yodaddyguido

My Ride: '01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jneumann View Post
umm. yes, i wouldve loved this popup... Lol. +1 for sticky to save others the trouble im currently going through.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #76
K'KamE46

My Ride: 323
Actually I have numerous problem with cooling system in my e46. First it was the expansion tank, then came the water pump and upper radiator hose. Also upper radiator leaked.

change and upgrade most to metal parts when possible. My metal radiator should be on it way...

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1334027855660.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	445864  

IN PROGRESS....
B&G SPRING I ANGEL EYES I M3 REP F. BUMPER I E90 RIMS I
AEM COLD AIR INTAKE I
K'KamE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #77
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'KamE46 View Post
Actually I have numerous problem with cooling system in my e46. First it was the expansion tank, then came the water pump and upper radiator hose. Also upper radiator leaked.

change and upgrade most to metal parts when possible. My metal radiator should be on it way...
http://speed-daddy.com/index.php/coo...6-bmw-e46.html
Guess you don't have an automatic because that rad will only fit manual.
I'm in for you to come back and report on the quality of this relatively cheap Speed Daddy radiator. And let us know how the fitment is? I've rarely seen an aftermarket piece that fit properly without some advanced DIY modification to get it to work. Especially if it is Chinese!
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #78
K'KamE46

My Ride: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
http://speed-daddy.com/index.php/coo...6-bmw-e46.html
Guess you don't have an automatic because that rad will only fit manual.
I'm in for you to come back and report on the quality of this relatively cheap Speed Daddy radiator. And let us know how the fitment is? I've rarely seen an aftermarket piece that fit properly without some advanced DIY modification to get it to work. Especially if it is Chinese!
yea mine is manual. We'll see what happen, how it fit n such... I'll keep I posted.

If it doesn't fit, im going to smash it!! Lol

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App

IN PROGRESS....
B&G SPRING I ANGEL EYES I M3 REP F. BUMPER I E90 RIMS I
AEM COLD AIR INTAKE I
K'KamE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #79
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodaddyguido View Post
umm. yes, i wouldve loved this popup... Lol. +1 for sticky to save others the trouble im currently going through.

YIKES!!! hope you get ti sorted out man. See, mods? People need this!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-10-2012, 01:37 AM   #80
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Oh, my bad. I thought it was your car with the leaking radiator. Cool. I know on E36 cars, radiator failures are VERY common. Interested to see how the E46 ones fail. Seems with the years passing by, maybe its just that time for our cars?
Seems to be not too bad. Mine is leaking, nothing catastrophic. Causes coolant to come out when it gets warm, but very very very very very very slowly. When I replace it in a few weeks, I'll see if I can find the source.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, waste of money, water pump