E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #41
RiFTy80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 23
My Ride: 2003 330xi
I just did the Valve Cover Gasket and Spark Plugs yesterday. It took about 2 1/2 hours going VERY carefully. Excellent write-up! My 03 xi has 82,500 miles. Side note: the computer calculated MPG average on my 30 mile drive this morning was about 2.5 mpg (10%) better than usual. Does changing the spark plugs make that much of a difference?
RiFTy80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #42
elie12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 5
My Ride: 2001 Bmw 325i
Great DIY, was the first time for me working on my car, Thanks.
I did it for my 01 325i, but I might dropped one of the cover's washer inside without noticing. I opened it again to find it, but no clue where is at!. kept looking with magnetic screw driver looking all around but nothing where there. And after I gave-up thinking it might be missing from the start. I placed everything back and run the engine for a second, I could hear the ticking inside on the top of the engine ....luckily the engine still running. Again, I opened everything looking for this washer, but nothing so far. The car is parked, and I have no clue of what to do! Any help or advice what to do please?
elie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #43
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)
 
ddaniel1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 483
My Ride: 328i, M3, 525iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by elie12 View Post
Great DIY, was the first time for me working on my car, Thanks.
I did it for my 01 325i, but I might dropped one of the cover's washer inside without noticing. I opened it again to find it, but no clue where is at!. kept looking with magnetic screw driver looking all around but nothing where there. And after I gave-up thinking it might be missing from the start. I placed everything back and run the engine for a second, I could hear the ticking inside on the top of the engine ....luckily the engine still running. Again, I opened everything looking for this washer, but nothing so far. The car is parked, and I have no clue of what to do! Any help or advice what to do please?
elie12, I would get the brightest flashlight you can get ahold of and a mirror to try to find it, one other idea, is your splash shield under the engine still installed? If so you may want to drop it to see if the washer fell down there, I have a had a few things fall down there and couldn't see them until I dropped the shield.
ddaniel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #44
caleb6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 391
My Ride: 2005 330XI
Just finished this VCG replacement with VANOS seals, pre-cat 02 sensors and new spark plugs. Whew, pretty easy with the DIY's here - but until I got it all back together and had the chance to run it for a little - with NO check engine lights or other indications of something being wrong - I was scared. Alas, all is well and she's running stronger then ever.

thanks!
caleb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #45
elie12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 5
My Ride: 2001 Bmw 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniel1 View Post
elie12, I would get the brightest flashlight you can get ahold of and a mirror to try to find it, one other idea, is your splash shield under the engine still installed? If so you may want to drop it to see if the washer fell down there, I have a had a few things fall down there and couldn't see them until I dropped the shield.
I heard the washer bouncing back and forth. I know its inside, but I couldn't see it with flash light and mirror even magnetic. Someone told me to check the oil pan, but I looked to the size of the hole is way smaller than the washer, unless it fit inside the valve hole. And that unlikely because of the sound was continuous and clearly from the top(not deep). I don't have experience in engines, but if i remove the camshaft I would make sure(I dont think its good idea, I have no clue how to place the camshaft back).
elie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #46
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)
 
ddaniel1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 483
My Ride: 328i, M3, 525iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by elie12 View Post
I heard the washer bouncing back and forth. I know its inside, but I couldn't see it with flash light and mirror even magnetic. Someone told me to check the oil pan, but I looked to the size of the hole is way smaller than the washer, unless it fit inside the valve hole. And that unlikely because of the sound was continuous and clearly from the top(not deep). I don't have experience in engines, but if i remove the camshaft I would make sure(I dont think its good idea, I have no clue how to place the camshaft back).
You don't want to remove the cams, that is a huge job, if you heard it, it must have been contacting the cam or lifters, I would focus your search around the cams, lifters and valve springs. This thread on removing the cams shows some of the places to look.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...0#post14098020
ddaniel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #47
elie12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 5
My Ride: 2001 Bmw 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniel1 View Post
You don't want to remove the cams, that is a huge job, if you heard it, it must have been contacting the cam or lifters, I would focus your search around the cams, lifters and valve springs. This thread on removing the cams shows some of the places to look.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...0#post14098020
Thanks man, I will keep looking and plan to remove the oil pan to change the gasket at the same time(to clear the doubt).
elie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #48
Ivanhoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 331
My Ride: BMW 330 xi 2005
Great DIY, thanks for sharing , planning to do it very soon !!!
__________________
Ivanhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #49
hk_bimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: houston
Posts: 32
My Ride: e46
What if u cant take off the bolts on the plastic engine cover. Like i kept turning them (both) then try pull off and nothing. I see the bolts turning in circular motion but not going not moving up (loosen) reason is because I seen a greasy stain on the left plastic cover I tought must been oil dropped from oil change but its not.
hk_bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #50
Rickna
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Haven, CT, USA
Posts: 1,995
My Ride: '01 330xi - '09 IS-F
Quote:
Originally Posted by hk_bimmer View Post
What if u cant take off the bolts on the plastic engine cover. Like i kept turning them (both) then try pull off and nothing. I see the bolts turning in circular motion but not going not moving up (loosen) reason is because I seen a greasy stain on the left plastic cover I tought must been oil dropped from oil change but its not.
The bolts are held captive by the rubber gromets. So losen all of them and the cover should come off. You might need to gently pry to get the cover off.
__________________

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #51
BYOB3amer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 20
My Ride: 2002 325i
I think im about to try this within the next couple of weeks. Where are the parts located and how much do they cost
BYOB3amer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #52
hk_bimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: houston
Posts: 32
My Ride: e46
i tried
here is what i see
this is why i got worried
then i seen this
hk_bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #53
hk_bimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: houston
Posts: 32
My Ride: e46
i never took them off before i got the car then like 2 months later seent he engine cover like that and i tried take bolts off but no luck, i think somehow there stripped
hk_bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #54
Rickna
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Haven, CT, USA
Posts: 1,995
My Ride: '01 330xi - '09 IS-F
Quote:
Originally Posted by hk_bimmer View Post
i never took them off before i got the car then like 2 months later seent he engine cover like that and i tried take bolts off but no luck, i think somehow there stripped
You need to remove the scew covers. #15 in the pic.

__________________

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F

Last edited by Rickna; 04-03-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #55
caleb6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 391
My Ride: 2005 330XI
yeah i was gonna say man - by plastic cover you mean number 11 above HK bimmer? take the four little square covers off (number 15 above) and remove the four bolts underneath - think they are 10mm to be exact. Then pop off both of the covers and then the 15 bolts on the Valve cover - well after taking off the other stuff like the DIY says.
caleb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #56
hk_bimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: houston
Posts: 32
My Ride: e46
I know I took them off im talking about the bolts after the cap
hk_bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #57
hk_bimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: houston
Posts: 32
My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb6 View Post
yeah i was gonna say man - by plastic cover you mean number 11 above HK bimmer? take the four little square covers off (number 15 above) and remove the four bolts underneath - think they are 10mm to be exact. Then pop off both of the covers and then the 15 bolts on the Valve cover - well after taking off the other stuff like the DIY says.
Yes but the four bolts wont come off theu just twist but dont move a inch up to loosen up
hk_bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #58
Abe911
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NH
Posts: 2
My Ride: 986S, E46, E91
Thanks for the great write up!

Where did you purchase the gasket set? BMW's parts list shows everything separate and from the pictures, I see that you purchased a set.

Thanks,
Abe911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #59
Rickna
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Haven, CT, USA
Posts: 1,995
My Ride: '01 330xi - '09 IS-F
Most online vendors offer kits.
__________________

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #60
joeycannoli
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 242
My Ride: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe911 View Post
Thanks for the great write up!

Where did you purchase the gasket set? BMW's parts list shows everything separate and from the pictures, I see that you purchased a set.

Thanks,
Got my stuff through Rogue Engineering
joeycannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use