E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 05:52 AM   #1
bobm3
Senior Eurowerkz Member

My Ride: 2003m3smg
how do you tell the difference between hpf turbo's

i would like to know im judging a show at the end of the month. any help and i would be grateful...
bob

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #2
funkboy316

My Ride: 2003 M3 vert
You don't need to...... You give them all first place.....lol

2003 TiAg HPF stage 2.5 SMG M3 vert
funkboy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
funkboy316

Seriously though look thru the bumper at the drivers fog and you can it has methanol or not, that will let you know it's at least a stage 2.......if it has the oem fuel rail it's a stage 2.75 or under.....other than that you would have to climb under the car and what size snail it has . There are other differences between the kits but those can be an upgrade on stages lower.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
bobm3
Senior Eurowerkz Member

i think a stage 3 or 4 hpf is coming to eurofest

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkboy316 View Post
Seriously though look thru the bumper at the drivers fog and you can it has methanol or not, that will let you know it's at least a stage 2.......if it has the oem fuel rail it's a stage 2.75 or under.....other than that you would have to climb under the car and what size snail it has . There are other differences between the kits but those can be an upgrade on stages lower.
and i know 2 other hpf cars from different car clubs are coming i just want to know the difference from stage 2 to 2.5 and 4... i know the difference on the s/c cars because i have one of those lollllll
but thanks alot now i won't look to stupid to the owners i will at lease know what im looking for and where to look....
bob
Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
funkboy316

There are certain instances where you will not be able to tell the difference other than to ask the owner..... For example the only difference between a stage 2 and 2.5 is internals

Old 04-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
willlangford

My Ride: Widebody VW R32T
If they both have HPF Turbo kits on their cars depending on your point structure most would just judge it as having an aftermarket turbo. In shows I think fit and finish would mean more than Stage x vs Stage y. Is the intake manifold color matched? What about other engine bay modifications that complement the motor? Is the engine bay factory floor clean like it should be at a car show? etc..
willlangford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
Ky///m3

My Ride: 1988 E30 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by willlangford View Post
If they both have HPF Turbo kits on their cars depending on your point structure most would just judge it as having an aftermarket turbo. In shows I think fit and finish would mean more than Stage x vs Stage y. Is the intake manifold color matched? What about other engine bay modifications that complement the motor? Is the engine bay factory floor clean like it should be at a car show? etc..
point in case why car shows are lame........designated by aftermarket turbo instead of actual performance....some dude with crappy konis could beat someone with 3 way adjustable motons bc he engine bay is slightly dirty

2006 E46 M3 HPF stg II SOLD
1988 E30 M3 Touring Class
1995 E36 M3 I-Prepared Class
Ky///m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
I dont know if it matters for s show what stage HPF the car is. Like has been said, there are so many other markers to do like aftermaket strut bar, all AN fitting fuel system, color matching under hood compasnents, or polished ones at least.

You can have a little stage one that went to town that will visually blow away a plain Jane Stage 4. ...unless you are awarding points on power made. You need a dyno for that.

Car shows are pretty superficial....goes back to the Koni/dirty Motons thing.

Often a top winning car is never driven, its trailered to every event. Whats the point?

Last edited by Bdave; 04-12-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
bobm3
Senior Eurowerkz Member

wait my car is my very day car and in the north east

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
I dont know if it matters for s show what stage HPF the car is. Like has been said, there are so many other markers to do like aftermaket strut bar, all AN fitting fuel system, color matching under hood compasnents, or polished ones at least.

You can have a little stage one that went to town that will visually blow away a plain Jane Stage 4. ...unless you are awarding points on power made. You need a dyno for that.

Car shows are pretty superficial....goes back to the Koni/dirty Motons thing.

Often a top winning car is never driven, its trailered to every event. Whats the point?
i have one of the top show cars...i usually place and win at car shows....because i have mod's in
exterior
interior
ice
perf.
engine bay..... ect.
but im one of a kind lollll

and to answer you my other judges told me that the perf. is going by h/p thats why i wanted to know about your turbo's.. i think we are going to have a dyno at the show but don't hold me to it.... im in the area of the show thats my job...i am just trying to bone up on the turbo's.. so i can be fair...
i hear their are going to be a few 997 their also.... but we are expecting around 1,000 cars.. we are going to try to run in like bimmerfest for this year.. the one on the east coast...
i hear their is a guy in the new york area that is geting a stage 4 hpf turbo
with 900+ h/p..... he should be wright up their with h/p i would think...

but thank you all (the hpf cars for giving me your comments)
bob
Old 04-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
bobm3
Senior Eurowerkz Member

here is what i have for perf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willlangford View Post
i have alot of mod's that work together

PERFORMANCE MODIFICATIONS:
• AA W/A Injection Kit For AA S/C
• AA Super Charger With a C 81 Trim Blower
• E46 M-ScinTake-Intake Manifold
• Intake Manifold Is Custumed Painted Carbon Black
• HKS96 96MM HKS Intake Housing Modified For Rotrex
• ATEW-Air Temp Extension Wire
• RamAir RamAIR Pipe Upper +Lower
• 13621725323-Air Temp Sensor Intake Manifold Includes With Wire
• AA BOV –BOV Valve
• 11531417215 – Thermostat 55 Deg
• 11521719269S Sport Fan Clutch (3 holes)
• Custom Alfa SoftWear UpGrade To Gen 3 Level 2 S/C Kit
• L2P- AA – S/C 8 Rib Pulley Kit
• # 39 Blue Fuel Injectors
• AA Oil Cooler
• AA Inter Cooler Custum Painted Red
• AA ExHaust Header Set
• AA Performance Clutch
• AA Light Weight Flywheel (10 lbs)
• 6 Iridium Spark Plugs
• 6 Plasma Coils
• GruppeM Titanium Race Exhaust Muffler
• Direct Port NSX Nox Kit 30 SHOT
• 3 Piece Forged Kinesis K19r That Are All Fully Polished Finish 19x8.5F & 19x10R
• Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position Tires 245x35x19f and
• Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position Tires 275x30x19r
• Axxis Brake Pads
• STOP-TECK 14” Big Brake Kit Custom
• Red Painted Calipers & Cross Drilled Rotors
• H&R Coilovers
• UUC Barbarian Sway Bars
• UUC Rear Urethane Bushing
• Sub-Frame Reinforcement Kit
• C.A.Auto AC Schnitzer Black Carbon Fiber Style Front Race Cross Brace.
• Auto Meter Sport Competition Gauges ( Boost, EGT, Oil Press ),
• AEM Uego Air To Fuel,•, Volt, Water Temp On Mickey Mouse Ears
• Voodoo Boost Gauge In Engine Bay For Dyno Tuning

i think i know what you are talking about as you can see.
bob
Old 04-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
funkboy316

no problem hope it was somewhat helpful. i never was a carshow guy, the one show i did my car lost to a bonestock M3 because you could whiteglove his car without seeing one spec of dirt.