E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 05:06 AM   #1
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Lets Talk Motor Mounts

I have not seen a discussion on this recently.

I dont give my motor mounts much thought really. Should I?
2005, 30k miles. Its not the mileage, its time passage that make me think.

How many people are on their OEM set still?

What is your opinion on solids? HPF Solids? What about delrin or poly mounts?

Please include noise, vibration and comfort in your explanations.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
AirFrcd

My Ride: Mfizzle, and GT-R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post

Saad just switched me over to the solid mounts.

The stock mounts with 14k miles were not worn, however, did flex sufficiently, to the point where the new intake, and down pipe may have been compromised whilst under driving conditions.

I have yet to experience their feel/sound quality, and will report back with findings.
Philippians 4:13

AirFrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #3

My Ride: 2006 BMW M3
Quote:

i have 2006 zcp m3 with 160k miles.. original engine mounts are still good with no noise, vibration, etc...
68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
dan avoN7

My Ride: A car
For a forced induction car I would definitely recommend a poly mount at least. If the car is making considerable amounts of power then a solid mount would be an option to look in to as long as you aren't too concerned with increased NVH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
i have 2006 zcp m3 with 160k miles.. original engine mounts are still good with no noise, vibration, etc...
Have you physically checked and or measured the mounts to verify that? I'm at 100K and this past week I just replaced a bunch of parts as preventative maintenance. My passenger side motor mount was pretty worn, by eyeballing it I would say it was a good 1/2-3/4" shorter than the new mount I replaced it with.
dan avoN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
Ky///m3

My Ride: 1988 E30 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
uhhh u might want to measure them.....they shrink considerably and you will not really notice a noise........the stock mounts are pretty crappy

2006 E46 M3 HPF stg II SOLD
1988 E30 M3 Touring Class
1995 E36 M3 I-Prepared Class
Ky///m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
I know a good visual clue to bad mounts can be seen on non m engine mounts as they will create a hole in the hood insulation right above the power-steering reservoir cap. I changed mine out in the blown 330ci at 120k

On my current m3, @ 40k miles, last time I chcked it looked good will be looking for one at around 60k with new spark, and general maintenance

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to praise you like I should.."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
I run the BimmerWorld Performance/Track Engine Mounts in both my race car & street 330Ci. They fit & work great, I perceive NO new noise or vibration (but you may) with these stiffer mounts. Forum sponsor BW makes a great product, I'd recommend these to anyone looking for an upgraded motor mount.

http://store.bimmerworld.com/bimmerw...unts-p930.aspx

Good luck,
Rob.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
I had the Bimmerworld solid motormounts and they were a bit to loud at normal idle creating some vibrations that I didn't like. I could have raise my idle RPM but instead I reverted back to the OEM M3 motor mounts.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vI6ious View Post
I had the Bimmerworld solid motormounts and they were a bit to loud at normal idle creating some vibrations that I didn't like. I could have raise my idle RPM but instead I reverted back to the OEM M3 motor mounts.
Are you talking about the mounts in the link in the post above yours?
http://store.bimmerworld.com/bimmerw...unts-p930.aspx

They are not solid.
I have some time to think before i must decide. I would still like to hear some different mounts being used out there to help me to decide which ones I will eventually buy. I really an hesitant to buy purely solid mounts. I think there must be plenty strong mounts made in delrin or poly. Perhaps the Bimmerworld mounts. I would love to hear more. My goal is maximum strength with minimum deflection, noise and vibration. ie the best compromise.
Figure on a 800+rwhp car.
Thanks to everyone who posted so far. Good info.

I am kind of thinking something by AGK. They seem to be the "go to"company right now for mounts in a wide variety of hardness levels.

My tranny mounts are new UUC blacks with limiting cups BTW.

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_pr...anny/about.htm

Transmission Mount Enforcer cup...cool concept, but do they work?

Last edited by Bdave; 04-12-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #10
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
anything UUC Sucks.....so you might want to change them now before they rip apart, i ripped both my tranny mounts and 1 engine mount apart from UUC, everything ive ever had from them is trash.

Anyways, I went back oem for engine mounts til I figured out what to do, so whats a good poly engine mount that wont rip apart.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:59 PM   #11
SPQR ROMAN SPQR

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Dont buy polyurethane mounts. They are terrible under high stress and will deform/wear/break easily due to temp increase. I think they are only good till about 160 degrees or so before they begin to wear/fatigue. If its a high performance or tracked/raced car then forget poly urethane. PPL sell it cuz its cheap
SPQR ROMAN SPQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #12
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:

I love the HPF mounts. They work on all E30, E36, E46 and E92 M3s. There is definitely more noise in the car after doing these mounts, however I have driven some M3's with our mounts that are still fairly smooth and quiet. It really depends on the car.

Chris.
HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:53 AM   #13
Evil Twin Rob

My Ride: 2004 M3
I have the HPF solid motor and tray mounts. You don't realize how much vibration rubber mounts absorb until you go solid. I really disliked them at first, but I think i'll get used to them. Cruising on the freeway is fine, but lower gears seem to be a bit more harsh.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:53 AM   #14
nnacpil

Subscribed for more info.

2006 BMW lllM3 SilverGrayMetallic/Cinnamon/Apex Arc-8
llHPF/ProEFI Stage 2.25 w/6766
SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!
nnacpil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:13 AM   #15
Trashcan

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Subd

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Trashcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:27 AM   #16
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post
I love the HPF mounts. They work on all E30, E36, E46 and E92 M3s. There is definitely more noise in the car after doing these mounts, however I have driven some M3's with our mounts that are still fairly smooth and quiet. It really depends on the car.

Chris.
The HPF mounts are dead sexy good looking. I could almost buy on that note.
I dont want a pure track car. I have already made so many concessions/compromises in mounts and vibration. My solid diff mounts ought to be something to listen to. Would you like some cheese and crackers with that whine?

Bimmerworld mounts do say something about poly motor mounts being bad around heat. So poly mounts are out I guess.

Right now, I am thinking a rosy new set of OEM's or Bimmerworld mounts.

I just have a hard time reasoning going all out to a solid motor mount with out trying some other alternatives FIRST.

Switch conversation to transmission mounts:
I cant in good faith pull a component because someone, one time had a problem with them. Not that I dont believe you. But I am going to let the UUC tranny mounts ride until proven guilty. AFAIK, it consists of OEM type bushing in a limiting cup. I will just have to keep an eye on them.

This is them. I like the concept. I will honestly report any failures with out embarrassment. My luck with components not failing is better thasn most, so I dont hesitate to take leaps of faith on gut feelings. This approach has served me well over the years. We'll see.

I may end up with solid motor mounts and hard poly tranny mounts yet. Just not right away.

How many HPF owners just stick with OEM mounts? I doubt every single person changes them out.

Last edited by Bdave; 04-13-2012 at 03:34 AM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:30 AM   #17
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky///m3 View Post
uhhh u might want to measure them.....they shrink considerably and you will not really notice a noise........the stock mounts are pretty crappy
Not sure I understand your reasoning. If you don't notice a noise difference, nor odd wear from excessive engine movement, what's the point of replacing motor mounts?

And in what way are stock mounts crappy?

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan avoN7 View Post
For a forced induction car I would definitely recommend a poly mount at least. If the car is making considerable amounts of power then a solid mount would be an option to look in to as long as you aren't too concerned with increased NVH.

Have you physically checked and or measured the mounts to verify that? I'm at 100K and this past week I just replaced a bunch of parts as preventative maintenance. My passenger side motor mount was pretty worn, by eyeballing it I would say it was a good 1/2-3/4" shorter than the new mount I replaced it with.
no i haven't measured the mounts.. i will change them if necessary. i always thought bad motor mounts make noise and vibration.. (we will see)
Old 04-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky///m3 View Post
indeed, ill check them out..
Old 04-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #20

Quote:
The HPF mounts are dead sexy good looking. I could almost buy on that note.
I dont want a pure track car. I have already made so many concessions/compromises in mounts and vibration. My solid diff mounts ought to be something to listen to. Would you like some cheese and crackers with that whine?

Bimmerworld mounts do say something about poly motor mounts being bad around heat. So poly mounts are out I guess.

Right now, I am thinking a rosy new set of OEM's or Bimmerworld mounts.

I just have a hard time reasoning going all out to a solid motor mount with out trying some other alternatives FIRST.

Switch conversation to transmission mounts:
I cant in good faith pull a component because someone, one time had a problem with them. Not that I dont believe you. But I am going to let the UUC tranny mounts ride until proven guilty. AFAIK, it consists of OEM type bushing in a limiting cup. I will just have to keep an eye on them.

This is them. I like the concept. I will honestly report any failures with out embarrassment. My luck with components not failing is better thasn most, so I dont hesitate to take leaps of faith on gut feelings. This approach has served me well over the years. We'll see.

I may end up with solid motor mounts and hard poly tranny mounts yet. Just not right away.

How many HPF owners just stick with OEM mounts? I doubt every single person changes them out.
although i have no expertise in cars in general, i think sticking with oem is the best choice. i'd rather change oem mounts, bushing, etc more often than deal with excessive noise and vibration. some would say solid mounts and urethane bushings are better because they last longer. longer for what? (many users here who have or will have modified cars barely put any miles on them..) 1/4 mile? ahahah

oh well.. good luck

Last edited by 68; 04-13-2012 at 09:36 AM.