E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
Koffinb

My Ride: 04 330xi 6spd
idler pulley/hydraulic tension/tensioner pulley..im lost!

Need to replace my idler pulley and tensioner pulley due to an annoying high pitched sound I get at idle.
Does the hydraulic tensioner cause a noise too? All belts are in great condition so i'm good there.
By the way would I be taking a huge risk going on a 300mi road trip (approx. 600 roundtrip) with bad pulleys and whatnot? Thats probably a stupid question.
Sorry for all the questions, i'm learning soo much from reading on this forum
Anyway thanks in advance.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
See sig. It should've popped up when you signed up on E46Fanatics. But if it didn't, use your eyes to look below. use your finger to click it.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
CaptainOversteer

My Ride: Has three pedals
If the bad pulleys fail or cause a belt to snap you can have major overheating problems on a road trip.

I do tensioners when I do pulleys out of habit, but I don't know that you have to.

I've found with BMWs it's better to fix small things like this before they totally fail and become big headaches.

Now Coding Cars in the Burlington,VT/Plattsburgh, NY area - PM if needed
BMWCCA # 461124

1986 325 - SOLD
2002 325ci - gone :(
CaptainOversteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainOversteer View Post
If the bad pulleys fail or cause a belt to snap you can have major overheating problems on a road trip.

I do tensioners when I do pulleys out of habit, but I don't know that you have to.

I've found with BMWs it's better to fix small things like this before they totally fail and become big headaches.
Has DMAX already proposed to you? Cause if not, I'd like to.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 04-12-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
No, Mango, it was just that one night...and nothing against the Capt., but really wasn't my cup of tea!

OP...do all three pulleys...find out which tensioners you have first (mirror and good led flashlight)...get the right pulleys.

FYI my mechanical tensioner is still good and undoubtedly original...I replaced my hydraulic tensioner when I first came to fanatics coz 'they' scared me into doing it, but don't think you have to. The pulleys are really doing most of the work I think...spinning around a billion times. The tensioner pretty much just tensions, so I don't think it wears down particularly fast. Of course, it won't hurt to change it, but I don't think you 'have' to.

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
CaptainOversteer

My Ride: Has three pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Has DMAX already proposed to you? Cause if not, I'd like to.
I'll start the bidding at $50

Now Coding Cars in the Burlington,VT/Plattsburgh, NY area - PM if needed
BMWCCA # 461124

1986 325 - SOLD
2002 325ci - gone :(
CaptainOversteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
silyb0y

My Ride: E46 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koffinb View Post
Need to replace my idler pulley and tensioner pulley due to an annoying high pitched sound I get at idle.
Does the hydraulic tensioner cause a noise too? All belts are in great condition so i'm good there.
Pulleys can develop play and yet work without causing any noise. Most of the time - when you have a high pitched noise at idle - its the mechanical tensioner (what I guess you have). Its the noise problem why I have gone from mechanical to hydraulic tensioner on my E39 and E46. The hydraulic tensioners work just fine. If youre not sure if its the tensioner - pour some water over a pulley while engine is running. If noise is still there - go for next pulley/tensioner.

What you should do is remove the fan, remove the belts (water pump belt and AC belt) and check ALL pulleys. Spin them and see if they spin for a long time or stop quickly. If they stop quickly the bearing is bad. Also pull/push the pulleys along the axis - if theres any play - bearing is bad.

Check the belt on the inside where the ribs are. See if there are any cracks.

I change the water pumps on all my cars every 100.000km. When I do I usually change all my pulleys and the belts as well. This way - you have another 100.000 carefree kilometers.

If you only change one pulley - how do you know when the next one is due?

Last edited by silyb0y; 04-12-2012 at 07:11 PM.
silyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
dmax

Um, southpark...if the pulley spins freely it's bad. If it stops in a turn or two it's good.

I suspect you've been replacing a lot of pulleys...or just mis-typed!

watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
Old 04-13-2012, 03:29 AM   #9
silyb0y

My Ride: E46 330
Sorry - english is not my first language (its my third language). I might have used the wrong words to discribe this.

Anyway - what I meant is that a pulley should spin smooth and steady. It shouldnt move on its axis or make rattling noises while it spins. But then again - if a pulley stops in a turn or two - its either brand new or totally out of order - judging by this you would have to replace pulleys all the time, too

A good but old/used pulley can spin freely - whilst not having any play at all. In a brand new pulley there is a lot of sticky grease on the bearing that inhibits the spin - thats why it stops in a turn or two. That doesnt happen if you have a good pulley thats been in use for 50.000 miles. But again - I have already had cases in which a pulley went bad - destroyed the belt and caused a mess in my engine compartment - the car only had 30.000 miles and was only 3 years old

So - yeah - I change pulleys in 100.000km cycles and when I do I change all of them...
silyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:43 AM   #10
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
By the way would I be taking a huge risk going on a 300mi road trip (approx. 600 roundtrip) with bad pulleys and whatnot? Thats probably a stupid question.
Dayco part numbers for E46 pullies:
for hydraulic tensioner: 89046
for mechanical tensioner: 89133
Idler pulley: 89089

As Doug said, use flashlight +mirror/small phone camera to inspect what tensioners you have. My understanding is (someone correct me if I'm wrong) three combinations are possible:
mechanical tensioners for both water pump/alternator AND A/C belt
Mechanical for A/C, hydraulic for WP/alt.
hydraulic for both A/C belt AND WP/alt.
I've never heard that someone had hydraulic for A/C and mechanical for WP/alt. but I don't exclude that possibility.
EXAMPLE: If you have two mechanical tensioners, you would need 2 x 89133 and 1 x 89089

If you don't have automatic, it is literally 15 min. job to inspect your pullies, even with removing electric fan to give you more room. Don't guesstimate its condition, it is easy enough to check and it is cheap enough to replace...it's a quick DIY, too. I am not saying you will have problems with pullies on a 600 mile trip...but how often do you make such a long trips. Probably not that much often. So if it's time to replace them, why not do it before that kind of a trip.

Last edited by daki_bmw; 04-13-2012 at 04:45 AM.
daki_bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:58 AM   #11
duboy

My Ride: M3, 325i, X5
Quote:
Once you follow the advice above and grab some replacement pulleys, do you have a Torx set? i have mechanical tensioners, and they require a T50 to remove the bolt holding the pulley to the tensioner.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
Mango

I replaced my A/C pulley the other day with the Dayco one in my sig. From start to finish, took me less than 5 minutes.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 04-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #13
Koffinb

ok, how many idler pulleys are there??
Old 04-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
manaman22

My Ride: 2000 323i
One. It's next to the alternator.
manaman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #15
Koffinb

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-16...-steering.aspx

this one right?

or is it this one??

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-20...-steering.aspx
Old 04-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #16
manaman22

My Ride: 2000 323i
The first one is the idler pulley. There is one of them, next to the alternator. The second one is the pulley that goes on the tensioner for main belt that spins the pumps and the alternator.
manaman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #17
Koffinb

thanks!
Old 04-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #18
dmax

The first link is your idler/deflection pulley. The second one is for your tensioner...which I presume means the hydraulic one.

Idler has that funny pin sticking out of it...it is available at Autozone as a Dayco/duralast pulley...and is made by INA, which is the OE maker for us. Call Autozone and get its price on all three pulleys...might save you $ in part and in shipping.

Please 'friend' me!
Old 04-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #19
Koffinb

do they all make the same noise or just one?
Old 04-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #20
dmax

If one pulley is bad the others are or will be soon. They all have spun just the same amount.

Please 'friend' me!