E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Symptoms of a Bad Battery. But not ! Help!

hey fanatics.

my car has been acting weird yesterday and today.

last night while driving home and playing music my odometer reset and the music stopped and started again real quick while driving but car did not turn off or anything.

last night when i got home unloading things out of my car i went to press the door open button in the center console and it wouldn't work and i realized all power to the car was lost car wouldn't crank, nothing, symptoms of a unhooked battery cable. i went to the trunk checked positive and negative and everything was snug tite. walk back around and my cabin lights are on and i go to start it and the car starts up normal normal.

this morning after going and getting some coffee back in my car sipping i go to start the car and nothing. again i went to the trunk and everything is snug. is there a glitch or what part of the car would cause it to loose all power everything in the car then allow it to start right back up 40 seconds later?

alternator?
battery?
this isn't a ignition issue or spark plug related because like i said all power.

next step for me is have a gas station check how much juice is in the battery.

any suggestions? anyone run into this before?

tia

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Brinkley

My Ride: 99 328i, 07 z4 3.0
Definitely sounds like bad connections as I've run into that before myself. I kinda doubt it's alternator if one minute car is completely dead next all good when not running. Probably battery related one way or another , battery/connection/battery cable.
Brinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
Steven747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinkley View Post
Definitely sounds like bad connections as I've run into that before myself. I kinda doubt it's alternator if one minute car is completely dead next all good when not running. Probably battery related one way or another , battery/connection/battery cable.
i appreciate the quick response.

so what cable/connections do you recommend i look at?

Old 04-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
Brinkley

check the other end of the negative cable where it grounds and make sure that's good, then check that the power cable is good and secured to the post clamps. Are the clamps in good shape, not corroded?
Old 04-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
Steven747

Quote:
check the other end of the negative cable where it grounds and make sure that's good, then check that the power cable is good and secured to the post clamps. Are the clamps in good shape, not corroded?
they all look good i just tightened down the negative again to make sure its on securely and will update thread if the issue persists .

thanks brinkley. i did see a little bit of corrosion on a clamp.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
Brinkley

Could be that. Might be worth taking battery into autozone for check as well.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
sr71blackbird92

My Ride: 2004 325i - 2002 M3
I had similar issues, its certainly a connection issue.

From experience, id say check the condition of your ground wire between the battery and the rear frame - especially where it actually connects to the frame. that wire can get bent and not conduct as well as it used to.

02 M3: 19" OEM Wheels - OEM CSL Bumper - OEM CSL Steering Wheel - Headers - Angel Eyes - Carbon Fiber Interior Wrap - Smoked Corners - Powerflex Bushings All Around - New Vanos - New Clutch

05 545i Daily Driver - Space Gray Metallic with the Sport Package

2004 325i Sport - Sold | 1997 E39 540i6 - Sold
sr71blackbird92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
Brinkley

thread jack: love the picture in your sig!
Old 04-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
Steven747

Quote:
Could be that. Might be worth taking battery into autozone for check as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71blackbird92 View Post
I had similar issues, its certainly a connection issue.

From experience, id say check the condition of your ground wire between the battery and the rear frame - especially where it actually connects to the frame. that wire can get bent and not conduct as well as it used to.
will do brinkley and blackbird i will do some research.

and brinkley who's sig?