E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Jay146992

My Ride: E90 335i & E46 M3
Spots on nav screen

Anyone know how to get these spots off the screen? Looks a lot worse in person. I tried using screen cleaner but it didn't make a difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0187.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	446560  

07 335i - Eisenmann Exhaust, JB4, M-Tech Body Kit, 19" TSW Nurburgring Wheels.

06 M3 Vert- Stock
Jay146992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
06E46M3
Banned User

My Ride: L;KL;KL;KL;LKL;;KLL
if screen cleaner doesn't get it off, i think the screen is permanently marred. is it plastic?
06E46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
ChicagoRY

My Ride: 2002 E46
I don't have nav, so I can't give you any "this is what worked for me," tips. . .but I have cleaned a lot of funky stuff over the years. Stuff that comes to mind is:

1. Tape off the sides of it (w/ painters tape, not duct tape or anything), so none of this can slide back into the unit. Alternately or additionally to that step you could pull the fuse to your head unit for a few days and give anything that does get back there a long chance to evaporate. Then try the stuff you can get at an auto parts store to either clean the plastic windows in a convertible top ("meguiars plastic cleaner" is one I've used), or polish headlight covers. Potentially one of those mothers/meguiars "power ball" buffers if you feel like getting one of those (you could re-use it for wheels and different stuff in the future). Use a micro fiber towel to buff it out if you don't use one of those buffing balls.

2. If that doesn't work, leave the tape on and try some "rubbing compound" or "swirl mark remover" from the auto parts store, a brand like 3M, meguiars, etc. The gel/liquid bottles are easier to work with than the paste wax kinds. These have tiny abrasive particles in them that will take off a thin surface layer, I mean thin like 1500-2000 grit sandpaper texture thin.

3. If none of that works, or doesn't work well enough, just sit tight for a good deal on a broken Nav head unit for parts on eBay or in the forums, and either steal its screen/plastic cover outright if it looks sharp, or try polishing the hell out of the one that's on the "parts" head unit and if it comes out great, awesome, either way you can still resell it again and get most of your $ back. If all else polishing fails, I'd try wetsanding the screen on a broken "parts" head, since it's out of the car you have 0 chance of screwing anything else up. Get like 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 sand paper (3m makes a variety pack of at least 3 of those together) and some water and you might be able to buff one out nicely. Sometimes after wetsanding you still have to do rubbing compound to make it perfect. If you need some sand paper let me know I could probably send you some left over sheets since you'd hardly need any, and the packs are kinda expensive.

Careful, it takes only like 15-20 sec of smooth wetsanding with each grade, maybe even less, in any given patch. Don't ask how I learned this and what car's I've taken paint off of. grr!

I'm pretty confident that no regular glass cleaner will get it out, that looks really smudged up. But don't worry, all hope is not lost. If you're patient and don't rush, like I tend to do, you can take scratches out of glass with the supplies above.

hth!

Last edited by ChicagoRY; 04-14-2012 at 07:41 PM.
ChicagoRY is offline   Reply With Quote