E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
cyberlando

My Ride: 2002 M3
Drive shaft 6 bolt differential !!!

so today i started to do my subframe bushing overhaul and started to take apart the driveshaft... from the differential and its on there GOOD!!

i tried a hammer and a pry bar and nothing

i used the screw driver to push out the notches it moved a little but after that nothing.......im just

what worked for you guys!!
cyberlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
uk330i

My Ride: Bmw 330i
The drive shaft end is like a cv joint. I beat the joint with heavy mallot, even used come-along and the car would move before separating diff from drive shaft. There is a notch on the joint for flat screwdriver insert try prying there. You can spray some stuff like wd40 and than wiggle differential and drive shaft. Eventually it'll separate. It's not rusted it's just really tight there.
uk330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
ChicagoRY

My Ride: 2002 E46
If you live near a store that sells "Boeshield" or "Deep Creep," in no particular order, both of those have worked miracles for me. They are about $10 @ can.
ChicagoRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
cyberlando

im scared that me going crazy with the hammer and flat head that i may damage the balancing of the shaft or even destroy the joint right before the differential.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
BeMyWhip

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
Try some PBblaster, let it soak in there good; spray it a few times and rotate it too after each spray.
Let it sit for a while; then use a breaker bar or pipe over your wrench at least 2 feet long, and give it a good quick thrust. GL
Old 04-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
I tried all those things and the fvcker still would not separate. As a last resort, I put the E brake on nice and hard, started the car, put her into first, slowly let the clutch out, heard a little squeal, problem solved. No scoring on the flange or axel.

Last edited by Lemonsqr; 04-15-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Lemonsqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
cyberlando

OKAY SO THE EBRAKE AND dropping the clutch method wins!

will try this tomorrow!!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #8
cyberlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonsqr View Post
I tried all those things and the fvcker still would not separate. As a last resort, I put the E brake on nice and hard, started the car, put her into first, slowly let the clutch out, heard a little squeal, problem solved. Do scoring on the flange or axel.
what do you mean do scoring on flange or axel??? did it damage anything at all doing this?
Old 04-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
He meant to mark the two so you put them back together the way they came off rotational-wise.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
Lemonsqr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlando View Post
what do you mean do scoring on flange or axel??? did it damage anything at all doing this?
sorry, supposed to be "no", not "do".....did not damage anything....
Old 04-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
cyberlando

actually i tried the clutch trick and it didnt work.............annoying so i got out and just started beating the crap out if it!!! and slowly but surly it popped right out!!

but when i tried the clutch trick i actually broke the inside piece of the rotor......because all the force was being held by that one rotor screw so it broke free taking a small piece of the inside rotor!......good thing i had a spare...smh
Old 04-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
cyberlando

and actually i after beating the hell out of it all the marks i left came off......from the liquid wrench and wd-40 combinations..........lets say i just put it back together would i have a problem.....is there a way to align it without the marks?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #13
Stinger9

That's why he said scoring. Scratch the two sides and the marks won't wash away.
No way to know where you were if you lost the marks. See if you can't look for any clues at all as to how to get them back in their original position?
If not, guess and try it. If wrong, you'll be down there again doing the rotational music chairs.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #14
Lemonsqr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlando View Post
and actually i after beating the hell out of it all the marks i left came off......from the liquid wrench and wd-40 combinations..........lets say i just put it back together would i have a problem.....is there a way to align it without the marks?
Cr4p, sorry to hear that the clutch trick didnt work and you ended up with a messed up rotor. if you are talking about the driveshaft to input flange alignment, its not necessary. As long as the bolt holes line up you are good to go. if you think about it, there really is no need to have the shaft and flange lined up the way it came from the factory because there is no set torque or balancing between the two pieces. Just line up the shaft and flange and torque the bolts equally and you will be fine.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
cyberlando

That's wat I did and I'm driving around now.......no issues as yet......what exactly am i feeling for?

And don't worry bout the rotor thing bro all is good great help!!!

But I might as well tell you guys that my rear sway bar broke at the link in reassembly, had my buddy helping out and left for a minute came back one side of the rear sway bar broke off......so now I'm driving around until the part comes in with no rear sway!!!

How bad is that...?? Don't really feel a difference.....but I am being really gentle.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #16
Stinger9

Did you say the sway bar broke? Or just the link?

If it's the bar that broke, perfect opportunity to get the Turner rear 21mm bar for $215!
Old 04-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #17
Lemonsqr

A broken swaybar endlink is OK to drive on as long as you dont corner too sharply or go over really uneven roads (such as ones with ruts) or change lanes fast. Basically you want to avoid any situation where you are changing the weight distribution in the rear or road conditions/driving conditions that change the height of the rear wheels in relation to one another.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #18
cyberlando

Nahh its just the aluminum link what garbage smh......such soft metal
But as far as getting a turner sway bar nahhh.....I'm pretty much prepping for a M rear end swap and the 6 speed tranny......if I bought the bar now it would be a waste, as it wouldnt fit on the M
Old 04-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #19
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
If you ever have to do this again, a pneumatic hammer and a compressor will have this piece off in about 20 seconds. I too started down the futile path of beating the crap out of it with a steel bar and a 2 lb sledge. It didn't budge.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bushings, driveshaft, subframe