E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 02:24 AM   #1
pkripon

My Ride: 325ci
Help...clunking noise when make left turn...

Can some help me figure out this problem...? I get this clunking noise from the driver side left wheel area...only left turns...right turns make no noise...I'm thinking bushings or something to that effect...it allowed started last month when I put on some OEM 19" M3 wheels (4 fronts) and adjusted the coilovers a little bit to give a little more drop- not much though...could it be the wheels? Coilovers? bushings?...or the cv boot...anyways if some could give me some info into this issue...greatly appreciate it...driving to Vegas next month and I don't want wheels to fall off or anything like that ...haha... some info would be very helpful...thnx

Sent from my LG-P999 using Bimmer App
pkripon is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Sounds like you know what the issue is. Also sounds like you didn't adjust your wheels the same height. I'd measure closely and I bet that's it.

If not, inspect things really well...and just for grins, since I'm not sure what sounds you're getting...check your PS fluid/system.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
pkripon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Sounds like you know what the issue is. Also sounds like you didn't adjust your wheels the same height. I'd measure closely and I bet that's it.

If not, inspect things really well...and just for grins, since I'm not sure what sounds you're getting...check your PS fluid/system.
Both side are adjusted to the correct height...measured from the center of the caps to the bottom of the fenders... (how off does the height have to be from one another to that clunking nosie?)...my suspicion about the bushings might be the culprit...but I just didn't want to have to take everything apart again to figure it out...guess a few more labor of love hours coming up soon...lol...I never really thought about the power steering fluid...I'm gonna have to check.... thnx dmax

Old 04-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
jack up each side and lift the wheels up and down.
I think you might have a worn balljoint or something.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
pkripon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
jack up each side and lift the wheels up and down.
I think you might have a worn balljoint or something.
Smart idea....if something out or lose, we definitely would hear something ...I'm gonna Jack up car and turn wheel to the left and then spin the wheels and we'll see what happens ...maybe I'll hear some clunking noise...I knew you fanatics have great ideas...so far...I have avoided taking my car to the stealership...lol...someone hear always have DIY videos or good answers...thnx...gonna check tonight...

Old 04-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
pkripon

Okay...this is weird...I just everything that can possibly make the clunking noise...and wasn't able to find anything truly wrong...bushings, sway bar, end-links, etc. And here's the weird part...the very next day after I inspected my car...I put up the OEM M3 wheels on craigslist for sale (cuz I wanted to go wider than 19x8)...I had a couple that was interested and bought them the same night. I mounted for them on their car and we test drove it on their car...and they said it drove way better than their old wheels...so I'm rolling on my buddy's 16" OEM wheels...and here's the weird thing...there's no more clunking noise when I turn left anymore :weird: what do you guys think? Was it the wheels? They were the OEM 19" M3 wheels (fronts)... 19x8 et47... has anyone know about any known issues being on non-m coupes?...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1335115263745.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	447760