E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 03:58 AM   #1
abbas_m3

My Ride: bmw m3
M3 diff carieer bearings causing play in shaft

Has this ever happened to anyone ? There is allot of play on the right axle shaft, I'm on the verge of buying a new diff. My mechanic told me the diff bearings are worn causing to much play. There is a clunk/vibration happening as I'm driving however when I accelerate ( hard) its gone.

Just want some information from other members to see if this has ever happened ?
abbas_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
RGuill96971

My Ride: 04 m3
one side will have more play then the other. its normal unless it has a bunch of play. driveline wind-up
RGuill96971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
abbas_m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGuill96971 View Post
one side will have more play then the other. its normal unless it has a bunch of play. driveline wind-up
My right side had allot more play, the diff started to wind when turning slow, there was a rear vibration started to happen. I changed the fluid and the whine and vibration did not go.

I already ordered a new diff, should be here next week hopefully
Old 04-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
RGuill96971

wow, tell me if it fixes the whine?
Old 04-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
RGuill96971

What is a lot?
Old 04-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
abbas_m3

Quote:
What is a lot?
Mechanic told me, quite allot more then the left hand side, and I wouldn't be able to give you an exact measurement but he said there was far to much play.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
abbas_m3

Quote:
wow, tell me if it fixes the whine?
Hopefully, the whine is from the diff. So a new diff should do the job
Old 04-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
RGuill96971

Is this mechanic well versed in BMW's. Just the fact that its an M3 is a whole new world. Just hate to see you spend money and have the same problem.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
abbas_m3

Quote:
Is this mechanic well versed in BMW's. Just the fact that its an M3 is a whole new world. Just hate to see you spend money and have the same problem.
I guess he's pretty knowledgable, he's changed a few parts on my car and my brothers m3. And he tells me that he's changed a couple of doffs and works on m3s every now and then. If the diff ain't the problem then there are going to be some dramas
Old 04-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
mre

My Ride: too many to list
I am going through the same thing right now, I have the diff out to repair because of a loose right side axle. I am a Machininst/Engine builder by trade, so tackling a diff job is no problem for me. I pulled the half shafts expecting to see so worn stuff, but nothing is wrong. I do not llike the fact that it has play, but upon inspecting things, I think I know the reason. The spline is very close to the end. There is little to no area to support the thing. I am just going to replace the seals and go back with it. The ring and pinion look fantastic and there is absolutely no metal in the inside at all.
mre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
abbas_m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mre View Post
I am going through the same thing right now, I have the diff out to repair because of a loose right side axle. I am a Machininst/Engine builder by trade, so tackling a diff job is no problem for me. I pulled the half shafts expecting to see so worn stuff, but nothing is wrong. I do not llike the fact that it has play, but upon inspecting things, I think I know the reason. The spline is very close to the end. There is little to no area to support the thing. I am just going to replace the seals and go back with it. The ring and pinion look fantastic and there is absolutely no metal in the inside at all.
Thanks for the info, I took my diff to a shop around a month ago and he mentioned the bracket that holds the cv joint (don't know what's it called) was really worn. So I just took the mechanics advise and got a whole new diff.

Dropped of the car to the mechanic this morning, hopefully the new diff fixes the vibration and everything is smooth again after that.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:43 AM   #12
nick0780

My Ride: 2004 M3
So how did it go? Is your problem fixed?
nick0780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:46 AM   #13
abbas_m3

Yup problem was fixed a while back.

*****NOTE*****

The diff carrier bearings never cause this problem. The average mechanic will tell you this is a problem etc etc, however this is normal.

Back to my issue, after buying a diff and a new tail shaft it turned out my tyres had flat spots in them. That was the most f*cked thing that I have ever experienced !!!
Old 07-01-2014, 01:28 AM   #14
wsm

My Ride: bmw e46 m3
Send a message via ICQ to wsm
bmw m3 e46 smg diff

My diff has a hard kick when volume button on the smg is at full,the macahnic told me the diff has play,and I need a new diff,can the diff be repaired instead
wsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:42 AM   #15
Commando

My Ride: '02 325Ci Manual
Yes the diff crown and pinion can be adjusted. However this is normally not required once the diff is built and begs the question where did the play come from. Perhaps bearings if you are lucky or possibly the play is not between the crown and pinion. The LSD unit is a replacement item. Has your diff done a lot of work?
Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:08 AM   #16
wsm

My Ride: bmw e46 m3
Send a message via ICQ to wsm
It has about 100000km on it,The bearings were changed about a year ago
wsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #17
Commando

My Ride: '02 325Ci Manual
I would be check the crown - pinion set-up. Something may have shifted or the pre-load on the bearings may have been set wrong. As you already know the bearings can be replaced. Crown and pinions in various ratios are also available.
Commando is offline   Reply With Quote