E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
rustbucket

My Ride: 328i
hydrolock prevention...

I have a e46 328i with a AA level 1 supercharger. I'm considering cutting the CAI snorkel down so it sits just inside the engine bay instead of near the bottom of the front bumper to avoid the dreaded hydro-lock.

Can anyone think of any reason why this is a dumb idea? I can't imagine that the CAI actually adds a lot to the blower hp gains especially considering how warm the air gets after the compressor. Plus hydro-lock = 0 horsepower.

I'd like to hear some thoughts on my plan before I do it.
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
Estoril-E46

My Ride: M3
Don't drive through lakes.

www.Precision-Sport.com
Estoril-E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
rustbucket

lol...

Thanks for your sage advice - I'll write that on my hand so I don't forget.

I was going to add a couple of sarcastic lines in my original post about stating the obvious... but I kind of wanted to see how quickly the wise-asses would come out of the wood work... the answer is: 3 minutes

hahahahahaha...
Old 04-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
SlideFox

My Ride: A Bucket w/ 4-Wheels
Do you plan on fully submerging your intake for any reason??
Old 04-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
rustbucket

no, I am not planning on fully submerging my intake. Just like I'm pretty sure these people didn't plan on it either:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/a...p/t-88768.html

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/te...an-anyone.html

http://www.grandprixforums.net/engin...ked-30033.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/420a...cam-gears.html

http://forums.focaljet.com/zetec-tun...l-account.html

Notice that not a single one of these people stated in their post: "woke up this morning thinking I'd like to fully submerge my CAI and wreck my car... so I went and drove into the biggest lake I could find!"

... but stuff happens... sure hindsight is 20/20 and these people probably could have done something to avoid the problem while they were driving -> but if I can do something simple so I don't end up f'ing up my engine/car then why not?
Old 04-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
SlideFox

My Ride: A Bucket w/ 4-Wheels
Avoid deep puddles

I grew-up in the northeast and every car I owned had a CAI. Never had this happen.

To answer you question though...

http://www.aemintakes.com/air_bypass_valve.htm
Old 04-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
deadpass

My Ride: 01 330i
That bypass is a good idea of you are paranoid OP or you could just shorten your intake like you mentioned. You could always do a dyno before and after to see if the HP lose is worth the increased protection of going with a shorting intake.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
It says not for use with FI. Do you have a pre-wrap? I have also thought of how to pull FI intakes off the ground, I don't like it either.

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
rustbucket

Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen the bypass thingy and thought about it... I guess what I'm really wondering is if anyone has any thoughts about shortening the intake for the blower. Just looking for things to consider that I might not have thought of (I don't claim to be any sort of mechanic). Do you guys think that if I move the filter to close to the MAF there is gonna be any issues with turbulence etc.?

I sometimes wonder how much of the benefit of a CAI is from just putting a less restrictive intake on the engine as appose to actually sucking in the colder air from closer to the ground. Who knows, maybe shortening the length of the pipe in a forced induction setting will result in better air flow and I'll actually come out ahead.

If it doesn't sound like I'm getting any red flags from you guys I'll probably just hack down the intake so it sits right behind the drivers side headlight clean up the edges and call it a day.

@zhp43867 - Pardon my ignorance, but how would pre-wrap help?

Last edited by rustbucket; 04-16-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:21 AM   #10
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
The possibility of a hydro lock is so real. just because some have been lucky does not mean it does not happen. My buddy who woke up that day had no plans to hydro lock his 700hp SC mustang. He knew about his filter. He knew about puddles. He just mis judged a single puddle...so easy to do. Bam! Bent rods etc etc. what a mess.

I would never for any reason have my intake any where near the road surface.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:28 AM   #11
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
I'd add a Y-pipe, with 2 filters, where one part would go down as it is now, and the other part would be somewhere on the upper section of the car
Old 04-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #12
BMW E465

My Ride: 1dirty5
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
I'd add a Y-pipe, with 2 filters, where one part would go down as it is now, and the other part would be somewhere on the upper section of the car
aka Mr.5 Intake mode for N54 users =)
BMW E465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #13
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Who says water is a bad thing? People put water injection kits on their cars all the time!

I'm turning that feature up to "11" with a reversed NACA duct and a low-mount air filter:

Show me where the puddlez are!
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:11 AM   #14
FragNasty

My Ride: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbucket View Post
I have a e46 328i with a AA level 1 supercharger. I'm considering cutting the CAI snorkel down so it sits just inside the engine bay instead of near the bottom of the front bumper to avoid the dreaded hydro-lock.

Can anyone think of any reason why this is a dumb idea? I can't imagine that the CAI actually adds a lot to the blower hp gains especially considering how warm the air gets after the compressor. Plus hydro-lock = 0 horsepower.

I'd like to hear some thoughts on my plan before I do it.
Would your modification reduce intake pressure (as the SC would see it?). If it does, you will not be making as much power. Reduced intake pressure is caused by intake piping restrictions, ie sharp pends that interfere with air flow or bottleneck areas.

An intercooler is an option to cool compressed air...

Is there a specific reason you are worried about hydro-lock? Do you live in a rainy area?

I would almost want to say, if you are worried about hydro-locks in general, it's better to buy a 4x4 or something more off-road. Maybe a boat.
FragNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #15
Jim Murphy

My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
K&N makes a pre-filter sock like cover that keeps water out without reducing air flow - check it out.

Jim
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #16
Dreikraft

My Ride: slow m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Who says water is a bad thing? People put water injection kits on their cars all the time!

I'm turning that feature up to "11" with a reversed NACA duct and a low-mount air filter:

Show me where the puddlez are!

haha, i love spinal tap!

nice fmic adam. now go find some puddles
Dreikraft is offline   Reply With Quote