E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
GotVANOS?

My Ride: 2003 325xi Touring
E46 325xi Touring mods.

okay guys, my ride is a 2003 325xi touring with a 5-speed with greygreen metalic paint. You wont belive it but I bought it back in november for $4,000 when my Dad and I saw it sitting in a used car lot with "$5,000"(my dad helped me work them down) painted on the windsheild. We were like "what the hell could possibly be wrong with it?" I was immediately interested in the car because I'd never even seen a 3 series wagon before, I mean, its a sweet looking car! The interior and body were in very good shape and it only had 45,000mi on it but upon further inspection we found he car needed a good bit of work: new brakes, control arm bushings, front CV axels, power steering pump, rack and pinion boots. I really wasnt deturred though because Im a car guy and I really wanted my first car to be a project. Its April now and after a little over $500 and a TON of elbow grease Ive finially got the car in working order.

Sooo now that ive got the car finished, what should i do to generally improve it? Ive heard a lot of "you cant make a 325 fast!" and its a litte discouraging. But I have also found out that tourinngs are pretty rare let alone a xi with a manual. I know my car has got OOOOODLES of potential. The only mod Ive done to it is resonator delete esterday. Besides that Ive ordered some ebay xi headers.

My mod list
-Eibach shocks and lowering springs
-Eu3 Catless DME tune (The car is registered in florida and I live in Virgina soo i dont have to worry about emissions inspections!!! )
-Intake manifold?
-Fuel injectors?

What do you guys think? Id really like to keep it a sleeper as much as possible. What are some mods? Wheels? Tunes? intakes? ex....?

Last edited by GotVANOS?; 04-17-2012 at 11:59 AM.
GotVANOS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
sweet jones

My Ride: CLK, S54 E46 Touring
Congratulations! any pictures?

Modifications all depend on what you like. Are you more interested in performance or looks?
sweet jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
GotVANOS?

performance for sure!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0417121158.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	446980  
Old 04-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
sweet jones

gonna get expensive. there is a supercharged 325xi thread around here if i remember correctly. i'll see if i can find the link and post it.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
sweet jones

These are the two resident badass wagons. I would suggest reading both of these threads first. Great stuff to learn.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=867528

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=522195
Old 04-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotVANOS? View Post
new brakes, control arm bushings, front CV axels, power steering pump, rack and pinion boots. I really wasnt deturred though because Im a car guy and I really wanted my first car to be a project. Its April now and after a little over $500 and a TON of elbow grease Ive finially got the car in working order.

The only mod Ive done to it is resonator delete esterday. Besides that Ive ordered some ebay xi headers.

My mod list
-Edinbach shocks and lowering springs
-Eu3 Catless DME tune (The car is registered in florida and I live in Virgina soo i dont have to worry about emissions inspections!!! )
-Intake manifold?
-Fuel injectors?
Congrats on a fabulous new car! I would love to have an E46 touring manual to make into one hell of a sleeper, although I'd opt for the RWD one.

Anyway, couple things. You did all of that work for ~$500??? Where did you buy the parts at? If you bought the right parts and did the work yourself then kudos to you, you got the deal of the century on this car.

How's the rest of it? Cooling system? Driveline fluids replaced?

Now to make it a sleeper, don't bother with flashy rims or body kits. Just get a set of OEM 17s and put some good rubber on it. Get a set of Koni shocks/struts and some Eibach springs for a modest drop and a good ride/handling. To cap it off, don't bother with a DME tune, intake, whatever other garbage. Slap a supercharger on that thing and call it good. Most of the kits around will come with new injectors and a tune.

Before you add any power though, make sure the rest of the car is in order and able to handle it. This includes the clutch, axles, brakes, drivetrain components, cooling system, electrical system, intake track, etc.

If you do install a supercharger, try and make up a DIY. It would be much appreciated by those on here!
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
GotVANOS?

hey! Thanks for the links jones! And yes, it was a little over $500 out of my pocket. my dad and I got most of the parts from autozone ( the fact that they pay you back some of the cost for the new part when you give them the old part was a lifesaver) and we did all the work ourselves. I really thought parts were gonna be expensive but honestly they arent bad at all.
As for the cooling and driveline fluid I havent replaced the trans fluid (probably need to), and I havent put new coolant in it. Ive heard some scary stories about oveheating that aluminum block.
I like the supercharger idea. Thats going to have to be something I save up for this summer.

Last edited by GotVANOS?; 04-17-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet jones View Post
These are the two resident badass wagons. I would suggest reading both of these threads first. Great stuff to learn.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=867528

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=522195
totally didn't make the cut
Old 04-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
sweet jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull 325is View Post
totally didn't make the cut
Lol your supercharged 325xi was the first car i mentioned but was in a hurry when posting the links since i was at work that i forgot. Love your car btw.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App
Old 04-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
euromade

My Ride: 325xiT
Wheels compatibility question

I have an 03 325xi with OEM 16" wheels. Are these wheel specific to the awd drivetrain, as far as the offset goes.

I am looking at a set of OEM 16" wheels that came of a z3 coupe with 215 55 16 winter tires.

Would this setup fit my 325xi?
thanks!

TIRE/WHEEL INFO:

The specs on the Z3 wheels are - 16x7 with 46mm offset - style 47
The specs on my OEM wheels are - 16x7 with 47mm offset - style 45

(info from http://www.finishlinewheels.com)

The diameter of the 215 55 16 would be 11mm bigger and the width would be 10mm wider compared to my stock setup.

Last edited by euromade; 04-29-2012 at 02:00 PM.
euromade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Euro, you should start a new thread when you have a unique question not a comment. Not a big deal but you may not get quick reply's and it's considered "hijacking" others threads.

The XI is not different then the rear wheel drive family for wheel dimensions other then 330's and M cars having diameter and offset specifics. I'm pretty sure Z3's are the same. You can measure the offset to be sure or test fit the wheels at the sellers location. Start another thread and the experts may chime in.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 04-29-2012 at 01:57 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
euromade

My Ride: 325xiT
I just realized I put this in the wrong section...will repost it....thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
Euro, you should start a new thread when you have a unique question not a comment. Not a big deal but you may not get quick reply's and it's considered "hijacking" others threads.

The XI is not different then the rear wheel drive family for wheel dimensions other then 330's and M cars having diameter and offset specifics. I'm pretty sure Z3's are the same. You can measure the offset to be sure or test fit the wheels at the sellers location. Start another thread and the experts may chime in.
euromade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:02 AM   #13
Rice4bfast

My Ride: 325xi Touring
any updates on progress?
Rice4bfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
325, headers, lowering, m54b25, touring