E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
G-Hots

My Ride: ///M3 & 328ci & X3
Send a message via AIM to G-Hots Send a message via MSN to G-Hots
Exclamation Wiring Issues. I need help! (PICS)

Guys, I need your help!

I recently bought a 2004 M3 w/SMG. It doesn't start/run. All the wiring has been tempered with under the hood.(See pics)
  • I need to know if the wiring harness is different between the SMG and 6MT models.
  • What kind of wiring harness/connectors would I need to swap this bad harness out?
  • Judging from the pics, Do I need to swap all the relays/module box out as well?
  • DSC is missing. All the pipes are there but none of the electrical connectors or mounting brackets are there. Do I need a specific model DSC module for this car? If so the VIN# is: WBSBL93414PN55855 , is there a way to find out online or do I have to call the dealer with the VIN?
  • After I find a wiring harness and a DSC module, do I have to get them programmed or setup at the dealership?
  • Would there be a difference in the software etc after I swap the wiring harness?
  • SMG Shifter will not move out of its position, looks like it is in Neutral. Would it start moving after the car starts? Sorry don't have any experience with SMG transmissions.
UPDATE ON POST 12
Any info would absolutely help. Please help me out, I need all the information I could get at this moment.
Would love to see this beast running again. It only has 23k miles on it.
I need all you gurus to help.

more pics coming..

Last edited by G-Hots; 04-18-2012 at 09:04 AM.
G-Hots is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
that poor M3.
better find the wiring harness and replace it.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
SweetBMW

My Ride: 318CIA
replace the whole harness. harness for dsc comes from the body itself.

regardsless, the whole engine harness aint that expensive or hard to find, and yes its different from the 6mt ones.

use wds.spaghetticoder.org for wiring schematics good luck!
Old 04-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
G-Hots

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBMW View Post
replace the whole harness. harness for dsc comes from the body itself.

regardsless, the whole engine harness aint that expensive or hard to find, and yes its different from the 6mt ones.

use wds.spaghetticoder.org for wiring schematics good luck!
Thanks man, so it is for sure different from the manual transmission?

Do i have to take it to the dealer, if I do end up starting the car after I change the harness? For software, coding or whatever.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
txmbr

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
How can something like that happen? To a M3?
Old 04-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
Pedi

My Ride: 330ci
where is the windshield cowl ? and why is it dented and so dirty?
Old 04-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
G-Hots

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmbr View Post
How can something like that happen? To a M3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedi View Post
where is the windshield cowl ? and why is it dented and so dirty?
It was in an accident back in 05 and was totaled. so I am guessing it has been sitting for years collecting dust. As for the missing cowl and other parts, refer to the link on my sig
Old 04-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
So it didn't start when you bought it. You did see the condition under the hood before you bought it though, didn't you? How could you buy a car like that?

The mileage is nice, though, so I guess I understand.

Anyway, just connect that blue/white wire with the red wire and all should be good! lol

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
G-Hots

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
So it didn't start when you bought it. You did see the condition under the hood before you bought it though, didn't you? How could you buy a car like that?

The mileage is nice, though, so I guess I understand.

Anyway, just connect that blue/white wire with the red wire and all should be good! lol
Guys, please keep your humor and unhelpful posts out of this thread. Theres a OT forum for that. And since you had no answers for any of my questions, I will answer your question dmax. No I did not see under the hood when I bought the car. It was bought online. I seen the headlight wiring harness all off but not the engine wiring harness.

Past is past, let's look to the future and get this M3 running again
Any help is much much appreciated!
Old 04-18-2012, 05:01 AM   #10
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
When you bought it online, did the description note that the car didn't run? Just curious.

As far as helpful and no humor...I can't do that...I can only be myself and sometimes rarely I'm funny!

...but since you asked so nicely...I'll suggest this: find the thread entitled "factory options" and send that Fanatic your vin and have him tell you what you car came from the factory with. Based on the mess of wiring, I wonder if this didn't start out as something else and what you're seeing is a badly failed attempt at someone trying to make an SMG out of a non-SMG or something along those lines.

I see disconnected wires, what looks like an added relay...crimped connections. Obviously someone who was plodding through something. What that something was I haven't a clue, other than what I've suggested...that maybe they were making a dramatic change in the car from what it should have been.

Not knowing if the car ever ran in 'close' to the condition it is, it's hard to say if PO was attempting to work around installing the harness he needed or not. I'd assume the harness is correct and I'd start by making sure all the wires that seem to belong together are...and you could literally be one connection away from a running car, depending on what that connection is.

As far as taking it to a dealer...this looks like one of those cars a dealer would love to have get towed in I'm sorry to say. You understand, I hope, that showing the picture of what you have, there's really no way you should expect someone to say, "just connect that blue wire with the black one and you'll be good."

If I was faced with this car and had to fix it, I'd begin by returning things to stock...but first I'd want and need to know what stock was.

DSC is missing? Seems very odd.

Also, not to be unhelpful, but have you gone through all the usual "no start" suspects? Battery, key, ews, fuses? You getting anything when you try to start it? Are you good enough at electronics to be able to test for needed signals and the like?

Start with the basics and work up from there...and good luck...really!

I'd like to say that you really could be a simple fix away, but given that the car has such few miles on it, something traumatic obviously happened to it...try to figure out what that was and what PO might have been doing.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:49 AM   #11
DHK

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
I dont think anyone is going to be able to help you with very specific info from photographs. Electronics are the hardest thing to diagnose and when they have already been butchered like that its next to impossible. The only real way to do it is by spending hours and hours with a meter testing lines and flipping through diagrams.

There is no magic bullet for this stuff, with wiring like that your better off just replacing it all from scratch and running each wire by hand so you know.
Get a second car battery and hook it up with 2 leads. That way you can power certain aspects of the car without having the entire system functioning.

Also as Dmax said you need to know what was supposed to be there in the first place before you can repair it.
I hope you didn' pay much because this looks from the limited photos you've shown like a many thousand dollar fix.
DHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
G-Hots

Ok, I wasn't thinking clearly at first, maybe because I didn't know the engine wiring has been chewed up and I just found out about it.
Now that I removed the air box assembly and such out of the way, I see that the frame was bent in before due to the accident and somewhat of a repair has been made.

I think this explains the missing DSC and the ripped up wiring harnesses. Because one of the wiring harnesses (I believe picture 4 with the connector) plugs into the DSC module. (I am almost positive it does)
Since I have two messed up and chewed up wiring harnesses, I want to start by replacing those two and getting a DSC and plugging that in.
The reason I think I cant get a crank when I turn the ignition on is because the positive terminal under the hood that goes into the engine is not plugged in yet. I just found that cable under the air box assembly.
And since harness is in such bad condition, I don't want to try and crank the engine. I am afraid something might catch on fire or short out.

-------------------
Doug,
I got the factory options from thebmwpartsstore couple weeks ago. It is indeed a SMG so there is no funky business there.
I knew the car did not run, and they didn't state that the vehicle ran when it came in to the auction.
I totally understand that it is in sh1t condition, but I would love to see if I can run the engine first before starting any body work.
I am pretty good with electronics, I can work my way around things and fix them properly but I don't think I want to try and fix this harness.
Especially after I called up the dealer yesterday and they told me $480 for the engine wiring harness. (Seems reasonable) Now I have to find out what the DSC wiring harness is going to cost me, It goes thru the firewall to the modules behind the glove box I believe. I might even take the dash out and see whats going where..
---------------------
Here is the plan

So I think the first step is to find a wiring harness, or harnesses in this case.
OR
Get them from dealership for 10x the price (to make sure everything works fine in the harness)
then
Find a exact same DSC module (which leads me back to the still unanswered question 4 of the original post)
Plug everything in and try to crank.

In the meantime, I will keep you guys updated, please don't be shy to share any knowledge or experience.

Thanks guys,
G

Tags
harness, m3, s54 smg, wiring, wiring harness