E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Money Matters

Money Matters
Financial, Stock, Investment etc. posts here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #41
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraisil View Post
Off the top of my drinking head? Trade commissions suck, slow execution, terrible charting software, lack of decent proprietary indicators, no decent programmable functions, inability to customize chart settings with continual saved settings. Should I go on? Of course, that only includes the Scottrade Elite problems from the last time I tried their crap a bit ago, they may be slightly better today (though I doubt it).
So, which one? I have been using sharebuilder and option house.

Sent from my phone.

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #42
FloridaE46

My Ride: *****
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraisil View Post
Off the top of my drinking head? Trade commissions suck, slow execution, terrible charting software, lack of decent proprietary indicators, no decent programmable functions, inability to customize chart settings with continual saved settings. Should I go on? Of course, that only includes the Scottrade Elite problems from the last time I tried their crap a bit ago, they may be slightly better today (though I doubt it).
I've only ever used that platform and a Bloomberg terminal when I worked for Morgan Stanley.. Though I use freestockcharts.com for charting ideas and Scottrade charts for playing off a streaming chart when I can be active. What do you use?

Last edited by FloridaE46; 04-12-2012 at 07:17 PM.
FloridaE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #43
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
I use ThinkorSwim (pre-TDA merge so I have the old pricing which is much better than the new TDA prices) for most option/equity/futures trading. Even with the new prices it's about the best for options, TradeKing is about the best for equities right now on it's own. Overall, TDA is still about the best overall platform for non-paying platforms if you want charting/equities/options and futures, though their futures execution is fairly slow making it not great for very short term trading. For options you should look at the ThinkorSwim platform (free even with a paper account) combined with OptionsHouse. For best execution + price + research of equities then I'd go for TDA with ThinkorSwim with TDA for research/charting and go with InteractiveBrokers for equity trade execution and pricing.

All of the above is assuming an individual trader not making enough trading to pay for proprietary software to speed up execution, charting, or individual functionality.
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #44
ThreeFinger

My Ride: 2003 325ci
Zecco
Sharebuilder
ThreeFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #45
monkeyjuice5150

My Ride: ///M3 droptop
Send a message via AIM to monkeyjuice5150
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Hope you have a nicely sized fund if you want to trade weekly... otherwise time spent and, if any, gains made are not really worth it.

Some might disagree with me but I'm talking over $20,000 at least... I've never been one for the penny market.
V8 is correct. Don't bother playing swing trading if you have less than 10k.
Put that in an IRA instead for steady long term growth.

A couple of hundreds will only get you a couple dollars here and there, which can be better invested somewhere else.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #46
ThreeFinger

Looking into

Actc
Ttnp

Whatcha think?
Old 04-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #47
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
I think I don't touch penny stocks and technical analysis (my primary trading strategy) is useless on them.
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:24 AM   #48
Old Rum

My Ride: 325xi/X5/328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post
i was given the tip on SNPK. Made a few bucks on that one.
Damn, dropped 60% yesterday....check out FFN over the next two weeks.
Old Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #49
ThreeFinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine325xi View Post
Damn, dropped 60% yesterday....check out FFN over the next two weeks.
Ffn? Insight?

We're you up on sp?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #50
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
interesting subject ! Make few
Bucks to buy my Beamer
Extra parts LOL!

I have seen guy make couple thousands on stock and lose also..

I would definitely like to get into it... But to make money you have to start with at least 5k.. That is pita 4 college student ! :0
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #51
Old Rum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFinger View Post
Ffn? Insight?

We're you up on sp?
I was never in SP. Someone on ST told me to check it out, too. But FFN is a Facebook play. It has random spikes which should become more frequent with the IPO around the corner. Gotta watch the volume and other social plays. I rode it from .9-1.90 and now rolling it back up again. Just watch when big blocks are bought up. It happens quite often.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #52
BmwMan325

My Ride: 2011 Infiniti G37s
Lets discuss FFN a little. I'm not saying this couldn't get bought out or pop one day, but the fundamentals are not that great at this point in time... I'm am not short or long on this stock, just my opinion.

red flags

1. Current Assets are 54 Million and total assets are 493 Million. The problem with the 493 Million is that almost $400 Million of that is Goodwill and intangible assets...
2.They have 131 Million in current liabilities and 622 Million in total debt. So they have negative equity.

On the positive side, their operating cash flow has been increasing.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #53
Old Rum

It's a terrible long term investment, don't get me wrong. But, the hysteria of the facebook IPO creates quite a buzz. On the days where volume is through the roof and the other social plays are moving (QPSA, RENN, ZYNGA etc.) it is easy to make 20-30% in a few hours. I am only looking for the quick in and out. The balance sheet is garbage and they just turned over their CEO, too. Earnings at the end of March were bad but I think most of it was already baked into the pps.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #54
ThreeFinger

Pretty interesting red flags there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwMan325 View Post
Lets discuss FFN a little. I'm not saying this couldn't get bought out or pop one day, but the fundamentals are not that great at this point in time... I'm am not short or long on this stock, just my opinion.

red flags

1. Current Assets are 54 Million and total assets are 493 Million. The problem with the 493 Million is that almost $400 Million of that is Goodwill and intangible assets...
2.They have 131 Million in current liabilities and 622 Million in total debt. So they have negative equity.

On the positive side, their operating cash flow has been increasing.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #55
Glidde8

My Ride: 2004 325CI
CBLI...biotech company working on radiation treatment drugs. Was huge during the Japan earthquake last year since then has dropped off.
Glidde8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #56
ThreeFinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glidde8 View Post
CBLI...biotech company working on radiation treatment drugs. Was huge during the Japan earthquake last year since then has dropped off.
Wonder if they are the only ones working on that type of med
Old 04-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #57
Old Rum

Tomorrow will be about BPAX
Old 04-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #58
ThreeFinger

Quote:
Big news

Have made some small gains on the last couple days
Old 04-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #59
Old Rum

Quote:

Wow, I thought for sure we'd get something more substantial. Oh well, there should be some fda news soon. They had a 90 day period for libigel that is basically expired. Thought that call was the announcement, but it should happen soon. They have a shareholder meeting at the end of May, I am willing to bet that before that we'll have clarification for forward progress with Libigel.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #60
ThreeFinger

Quote:
Wow, I thought for sure we'd get something more substantial. Oh well, there should be some fda news soon. They had a 90 day period for libigel that is basically expired. Thought that call was the announcement, but it should happen soon. They have a shareholder meeting at the end of May, I am willing to bet that before that we'll have clarification for forward progress with Libigel.

Think I'm too late on this one?