E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Fresh Steamed Chicken Drumsticks with Ginger Sauce

I figured I'd throw something a little different in this food forum. This is a pretty classic Chinese dish, though I kind of made it by myself based on what I've tasted in restaurants.

The following recipe will feed one person so change the amounts as needed, and the dish is served with white rice.

You'll need:
3 Chicken Drumsticks
Chinese cooking wine
3 scallions/green onions
Ginger
Salt
Plate with raised sides to use for steaming
Large pot that you can place the plate in for steaming, or a steamer pot
Water

1. Heat the large pot on high.
2. Boil some water, maybe around 1L.
3. When the large pot is hot, toss the chicken in. You don't need oil, the drumsticks have enough fat.
4. Let it brown for about 5 minutes, turning it to prevent burning.
4. At the end of browning, pour in about 3 tablespoons of cooking wine, coating the chicken. Let it burn off and move the chicken to the plate you will be using for steaming.
5. Lightly salt the chicken. Maybe about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon or so.
6. Pour in some of the hot water in the large pot, so it's about 2" deep.
7. Put the plate into the pot, BE CAREFUL of the sides of the pot so you don't burn yourself.
8. Cover the pot and let it steam for 10-15 minutes. Do NOT let the pot dry out, if the water level is getting low, remove the plate, and add in more hot water.
9. While it's steaming, julienne the scallions (lengthwise cuts about 3-4" long).
10. While it's steaming, mince the ginger. You want maybe 1.5 tablespoons of the stuff.
11. Put the ginger in a bowl on the side. It will be used as a dipping sauce.
12. About 1 minute before you think the chicken will be finished, sprinkle the scallions over the chicken. You should probably check the chicken to see if it's cooked through. It is important NOT to overcook it, it will dry out and will not be as tender.
13. Take the chicken out of the pot when it's finished. Be careful not to burn yourself. I have handy plate grabbers for this, but I assume most people do not. Using a steamer pot will eliminate the risk of burning yourself.
14. Take some of the juice from the chicken and mix it with the ginger, maybe about 1-2 tablespoons. Mash the ginger into the juice, and add a little salt. Not much, maybe 1/4 teaspoon.
15. Serve with white rice and enjoy! You should dip the drumsticks in the ginger sauce, and eat it together with the scallions.

Here's a picture of the finished product:
Old 04-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
ride365

I've learned from experience that Americans don't like this. My wife didn't like it at first, but now she loves it.

When I make it, I skip that browning step. Just put it in the steam and let it cook.

Last edited by ride365; 04-19-2012 at 08:08 PM.
ride365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride365 View Post
I've learned from experience that Americans don't like this. My wife didn't like it at first, but now she loves it.

When I make it, I skip that browning step. Just put it in the steam and let it cook.
I was hoping this will open up some people's boundaries I guess.

I've actually usually done the straight steaming method as well, but I decided to add in the browning method today. I found it helps to keep the chicken a little more tender as long as you dont oversteam it, but I'll continue to experiment a little to find out if it really is better.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.2
Something about steamed chicken just doesn't sit well with me. Grill that sh!t and I'll be good.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Alton Brown has a killer wing recipe that involves steaming the wings before baking them.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html

Ingredients
12 whole chicken wings
3 ounces unsalted butter
1 small clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions
Place a 6-quart saucepan with a steamer basket and 1-inch of water in the bottom, over high heat, cover and bring to a boil.

Remove the tips of the wings and discard or save for making stock. Using kitchen shears, or a knife, separate the wings at the joint. Place the wings into the steamer basket, cover, reduce the heat to medium and steam for 10 minutes. Remove the wings from the basket and carefully pat dry. Lay the wings out on a cooling rack set in a half sheet pan lined with paper towels and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Replace the paper towels with parchment paper. Roast on the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes. Turn the wings over and cook another 20 minutes or until meat is cooked through and the skin is golden brown.

While the chicken is roasting, melt the butter in a small bowl along with the garlic. Pour this along with hot sauce and salt into a bowl large enough to hold all of the chicken and stir to combine.

Remove the wings from the oven and transfer to the bowl and toss with the sauce. Serve warm.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote