E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
197.11 RWHP on Dyno Jet... tech said it was "unofficial."

They didn't tap into an ignition coil, so engine speed wasn't recorded. The tech said it was a low number and should be higher if engine speed is read. A couple guys standing around also said Dyno Jet tends to run a little low, anyway.

So... what's your take on that?

EDIT: I have an ECIS intake, Bimmer Brakes headers, an AC Schnitzer muffler, and I'm missing a resonator, along with staggered 18" E92 ///M3 replica wheels.

Sent from the Bamavarian Nexus.

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 04-22-2012 at 09:46 AM.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Wheels are hurting you a bit. I hope you didn't pay for that dyno if they didn't hook it up correctly.

I think you should be about 210ish. Although, a Shark would help, a lot.

4th gear pull?
Old 04-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
Scooby24

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP Sedan
Dyno jets don't read low. More on the high side depending on how its calibrated.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Dynos arent accurate . Shoul've spent the money you paid for a dyno at the drag strip . It would've been more accurate and much more fun

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
Jesse M

My Ride: 05' ZHP
You have a zhp right? I dyno'd mine last year. Got 210.5 and 196tq. on a "mustang dyno". 113k miles, stock dirty airbox, ss rep headers to 3" magnaflow. codes up the ass and 18x9 csl.

Since then I've flashed to euro software, (no cats or sap), and getting a new intake setup soon. I'll post new numbers when that happens.
Jesse M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Euro-software = no gains. Your car is hurting for a tune/reflash, but it is true the numbers will not be as accurate without the rpm hookup.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse M View Post
You have a zhp right? I dyno'd mine last year. Got 210.5 and 196tq. on a "mustang dyno". 113k miles, stock dirty airbox, ss rep headers to 3" magnaflow. codes up the ass and 18x9 csl.

Since then I've flashed to euro software, (no cats or sap), and getting a new intake setup soon. I'll post new numbers when that happens.
How and which Euro software did you flash it to? Im asking because in Europe there was never an MS45.1 DME so I was under the impression that the Euro tune can only be done on MS43 cars .

Can you please elaborate on this .

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
It has already been said, if the dyno operator didn't hook up correctly who knows, it's worthless IMO. Just for your information, Dynojets are about the highest reading dyno's out there. The reason someone should use a Dynojet is because they've become the standard to compare your numbers against someone else's. Having said that, you need to do your dyno in 4th gear, with RPM (not MPH) & correction set to SAE / smoothing 0.

Agreed, get a Shark Injector.

Take your Bimmer somewhere else & get another Dynojet dyno.

Good luck,
Rob.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
SPDSKTR

1) It was a public event with discounted dyno, but even then the techs were hooking up ignition wires. It's not hard to get to the ones in my car, so I was a little irked about it. But hey... what can I say? It was a fun little event all around (I should post pictures of the Civic with the turbo as big as the motor itself ).

2) I feel like Shark is probably going to be the only way I can go, primarily because I have no other means of transportation while my DME is out and about (assuming I go the Active Autowerke route). I could always just take a couple days off work, though...

3) Why Shark over AA? I've never really seen a firm answer between the two (and will probably never see one since some people swear by one or the other). I've yet to see any firm numbers on AA's software on a naturally aspirated application. We all know they're proud of their superchargers and the numbers they produce... so why not NA? Is it that bad?

Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #10
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Getting quality numbers for a tune is indeed a problem. I personally have the ESS tune but have seen no dyno numbers that show a before and after. The few I think I saw of AA showed no gains. I'd love to see some solid proof of the shark, or back-to-back proof of any tune for that matter.

rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #11
SPDSKTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
Getting quality numbers for a tune is indeed a problem. I personally have the ESS tune but have seen no dyno numbers that show a before and after. The few I think I saw of AA showed no gains. I'd love to see some solid proof of the shark, or back-to-back proof of any tune for that matter.
I know a guy who was running his E36 ///M3 at Barber Motorsports Park during an HPDE and installed the Shark between runs. His lap times dropped a few seconds. It was pretty incredible. Then again, this is an ///M3 and not a 330Ci.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #12
Tim13E46

My Ride: 2003 M3
I went with the AA tune, have yet to dyno it tho so no numbers to help :/ car seems to pick up a little quicker at high rpms but again.. that doesnt mean much without solid numbers :/ when im back from this deployment ill definitely have it dyno'd and see what it comes up with
Tim13E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
lejeunebimmer

My Ride: 02' M3 SMG, 02' 330i
look around at my thread that I started in here, I posted before and after dynos of AA tune. showed a slight gain.
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

M3 - Not enough room to list
lejeunebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #14
aggieE46
Keep it clean

AA tune made 6whp less than the Shark on my car.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #15
SPDSKTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
AA tune made 6whp less than the Shark on my car.
Damnit, man... I guess a Shark is the way to go...

Old 04-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #16
aggieE46
Keep it clean

Just buy it.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #17
MotorMan

My Ride: e39
Quote:
They didn't tap into an ignition coil, so engine speed wasn't recorded. The tech said it was a low number and should be higher if engine speed is read.
How long has this guy been running a dyno? The hp is calculated by accelerating the fixed mass of the dyno using delta roll speed over time, the ignition signal is only required to calc torque. If his dyno reads different hp numbers with and without ignition signals he needs a new dyno.
MotorMan is offline   Reply With Quote