E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
fraser19

My Ride: 2004 330CI M sport.
Innovative MTX-L Wideband controller

What do you guys think about upgrading to a better wideband controler?
I have been reading about this for a little while and while what the company says it will do sounds great what are some more real life restults.

Here is one of the articles I have read.
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/r...s/AN19_1.2.pdf

Here is what im looking at
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTXL.php
It is just a better verson of the LC-1 that i have seen a few guys running in their Ci's and M3's.

Quote:
1) Rapid load-transition Periods. Due to the slow response time of PID systems, even the most
sophisticated modern vehicles must go “open-loop” for up to 500ms second after major throttle
transitions (for example, “Acceleration Enrichment” period). Such open-loop operation often results in
excessive fuel injection (and therefore reduced MPG, and increased emissions) during transitions. In
most regular driving, transitions are quite frequent. It is estimated that eliminating open-loop
operation acceleration enrichme
Sounds nice

Quote:
The benefits of full-time closed-loop operation are clear- essentially you have a self-tuning, adaptive engine
that can handle major variations in fuel composition, barometric pressure, and component aging.
Well wouldn't that be nice.

Those are some of the worth mentioning points I found but really what do you guys think?

Last edited by fraser19; 04-23-2012 at 12:21 AM.
fraser19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser19 View Post
What do you guys think about upgrading to a better wideband controler?
I have been reading about this for a little while and while what the company says it will do sounds great what are some more real life restults.

Here is one of the articles I have read.
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/r...s/AN19_1.2.pdf

Here is what im looking at
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTXL.php
It is just a better verson of the LC-1 that i have seen a few guys running in their Ci's and M3's.

Sounds nice

Well wouldn't that be nice.

Those are some of the worth mentioning points I found but really what do you guys think?

I'm sure that will work just fine.

I run the Auto Meter #4378, it's 50% more expensive than the Innovate Motorsports one, the #4378 has a user programmable safety feature that I really like. Lets say you set the "Peak" AFR number to 14 (you can set the ALARM to trigger at ANY number you want) when at W.O.T. on the Auto Meter, if something goes wrong & you start to run lean & it hits this pre-programed number of yours, the unit will start to rapidly flash "ALr" (Alarm) to warn you. It also has a W.O.T. peak / recall feature explained below. Play video from link.

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugede...id=3604&sid=11

Wide Open Throttle Alarm/Warning Mode:
"Alarm/Warning mode enables you to program a visual alert point into the gauge in order to warn you of when air/fuel mixtures are running dangerously lean in your vehicle’s engine. The visual alarm or warning activates when the AFR or Lambda reading reaches or exceeds your programmed alarm point. When the alarm activates the bar graph display will blink rapidly to warn the driver of the Alarm condition."

Wide Open Throttle Peak/Recall Mode:
"WOT Peak/Recall mode provides you with a quick and easy way to find out exactly how “Lean” your engine / vehicle got during the last pull, run, or race."

Good luck,
Rob.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!

Last edited by Rob43; 04-24-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
fraser19

My Ride: 2004 330CI M sport.
I see.
I guess my question is,
Does the wideband sensor and controller send the data to the ECU and then the ECU will take the better data and adjust engine function for optimal AR?
Or do you have to try and set this up on your own?
Its the
Quote:
The benefits of full-time closed-loop operation are clear- essentially you have a self-tuning, adaptive engine
part that really grabbed my attention
fraser19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser19 View Post
I see.
I guess my question is,
Does the wideband sensor and controller send the data to the ECU and then the ECU will take the better data and adjust engine function for optimal AR?
Or do you have to try and set this up on your own?
Its the part that really grabbed my attention

No.

All of these "simple" $180 to $300 dollar devices are completely standalone, as in the don't tie into our BMW ECU's. I'd still call them up & talk with a Tech guy to ask what exactly that statement meant, that's me though.

Good luck,
Rob.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote