E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 06:49 AM   #21
sambo_eddo

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325XI Wagon
WOW! I'm pissing off some old guys here it sounds like. If the car is "undriveable" once lowered all the way or with these wheels on then I will obviously change things up. Like I said in another thread, I work at a deaership so I had access to pick this thing up cheaper then wholesale. For a $5k car I think I can tinker with it. The car would never ever remain stock as long as I own it so the coilovers would be going on regardless of wheel choice. Now it's just a matter of how aggressive it will allow me to go.
sambo_eddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #22
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Im starting to realize this forum is 80% conservatives that believe these cars are perfect from the factory and damn anyone that modifies anything on them.
Its ridiculous, youd think they bought the damn thing for you the way some of them act.

Do you dude, fuk what people say, you got a itch, fukin scratch it. If they dont like it, they can click on other threads.
Atleast when its all said and done, you can say you tried, and if you like the results, great, if not, oh well. At least you followed your dream.

Fukin nay sayers.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #23
sambo_eddo

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
Im starting to realize this forum is 80% conservatives that believe these cars are perfect from the factory and damn anyone that modifies anything on them.
Its ridiculous, youd think they bought the damn thing for you the way some of them act.
THIS!
Old 04-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #24
mq124

My Ride: slow and sorta low
Im all for seein some pictures when this is more underway. And I agree, if its what you like then go for it! Hope it works out well for you
Old 04-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #25
323ci newbie

My Ride: mkodama
Quote:

Do you dude, fuk what people say, you got a itch, fukin scratch it. If they dont like it, they can click on other threads.
Atleast when its all said and done, you can say you tried, and if you like the results, great, if not, oh well. At least you followed your dream.

Fukin nay sayers.
Not even true, the rest of this forum is a fan of drops, corners, m-tech II, csl pieces, and numerous other mods like that, it's instances like there were the car is just going to be ruined pissed people off. These are great cars from the factory and seeing that change sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
If you've ever lost a guinea pig to a stray arrow, you'd know that 24k is a small price to pay for piece of mind.
323ci newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #26
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
First of all, those wheels are hideous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooty View Post
I can't wait to see you do it

EDIT: And I really want to see you do this so please don't get chased out by all the people that are going to flame you. Hopefully everyone will be mature for once and let you mod your car the way you want to
Why do you want to see him do it? It's not your car. All you will ever do is look at pictures of it. Why are you so invested? You sound like a 13 year old.

Quote:

Fukin nay sayers.
You are the outlier here. Most of us here try to make our cars drive better, not worse. BMWs are driver's cars, and this forum naturally attracts driver-type people. You aren't going to get respect around here for fitting parts that slow you down, even if the end result looks cool to 5% of the population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo_eddo View Post
WOW! I'm pissing off some old guys here it sounds like. If the car is "undriveable" once lowered all the way or with these wheels on then I will obviously change things up. Like I said in another thread, I work at a deaership so I had access to pick this thing up cheaper then wholesale. For a $5k car I think I can tinker with it. The car would never ever remain stock as long as I own it so the coilovers would be going on regardless of wheel choice. Now it's just a matter of how aggressive it will allow me to go.
You bought an xi for five thousand dollars, buy hideous green wheels for it, and come here and call everyone who knows anything "old guys"?

Try to remember you're just the punk who bought one our used up xi's, haha. Why don't you find a different forum? This isn't an xi topic.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #27
mystert

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
First of all, those wheels are hideous.

Why do you want to see him do it? It's not your car. All you will ever do is look at pictures of it. Why are you so invested? You sound like a 13 year old.

You are the outlier here. Most of us here try to make our cars drive better, not worse. BMWs are driver's cars, and this forum naturally attracts driver-type people. You aren't going to get respect around here for fitting parts that slow you down, even if the end result looks cool to 5% of the population.

You bought an xi for five thousand dollars, buy hideous green wheels for it, and come here and call everyone who knows anything "old guys"?

Try to remember you're just the punk who bought one our used up xi's, haha. Why don't you find a different forum? This isn't an xi topic.

Between this guys attitude and all the "replace your entre cooling system first and do all this maintenance" crap is really ruining e46fanatics

MysterT Huntington Beach, CA
mystert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #28
323ci newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystert View Post
Between this guys attitude and all the "replace your entre cooling system first and do all this maintenance" crap is really ruining e46fanatics
Because doing maintenance is really a stupid thing to do. Just sell your car and go back to Hondas where you belong with the other car rejects

Quote:
If you've ever lost a guinea pig to a stray arrow, you'd know that 24k is a small price to pay for piece of mind.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #29
Bobby330xi

My Ride: '02 330 XI Auto
Kubica has some good points. I'm new here also, but I've done a cooling system rebuild on a Z3 and on my XI along with a host of other repairs.

To come onto the forum asking for advice for their $5000 car and not work on the maintenance is false economy. Why dump $1000's into suspension, wheels, etc. if your $250 cooling system is ready to take a dump? What about SwayBar Endlinks, CAB's, Ball Joints, etc? They need to be replaced every 30-60K miles, if they haven't. It is VERY rare to get more miles than that and I suspect that people who claim that they do have NO IDEA how worn out their suspension really is. Yes, I said it, many owners are idiots not mechanics.

BMW stands for Broke Mans Wallet for a reason. It might nickel and dime you to death, but it will be one of the best rides, especially for a daily driver. Not many cars can go through a foot of snow or sand, do 0 - 60 in about 6 seconds, have all the luxuries of a premium sedan and still get 22 - 32MPG. Respect the car and treat it right. If you don't, be warned that it will quickly turn into a money pit that you will get sick of and want to sell.

Hate to break it to you, but these cars are considered luxury sport sedans. They have a high amount of required maintenance. If you want a car to pimp out and beat the crap out of, get a Honda, Toyota or Mazda.....really can't beat them for the price to performance/reliability ratio.
Bobby330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #30
sambo_eddo

here's the new direction with the car. I decided that since the 80% mentioned earlier helped buy the car I should heed their expectations. Parts list below:

1. knitting needle kit
2. picnic basket
3. cardigan sweater and plaid golfing pants
4. 3 yawns
5. baby seat
6. custom AARP Card holder

Also, it's a 2003 with 60k miles on it, belonged to a long time BMW owner who traded it in along side a z3 on a 2010 335i convertible. I inspected the car right next to a BMW certified technician before buying it and of course checked the CAB's and axles. I'm only 16 though and all I've ever owned are civics and those look awesome with tons of stickers on them. It's going to be really hard to only put on the stick figure family stickers! But anything for you 80% guys!!!
Old 04-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #31
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
These are more your style

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #32
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystert View Post
Not quite. Putting shitty wheels, plastidipping fvcking everything, poor quality parts, and wheel/tire setups that have the same look as the dorky kid whose pants are too short are ruining the forum.

Maintenance and actual automotive knowledge is what built this place. But feel free to ignore it all, slap on every fatlace and illest sticker you can find, and wait for your car to crap on you. At least you'll have your dope XXR or Miro wheels to caress.
mtnbound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:58 AM   #33
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
im out, i stand by what i said. His car, his money, he does what he wants. if you dont like it, dont click. dont preach to the guy, dont try to shove it down his throat. its his decision.
We dont try to shove aggressive mods at you guys everytime you ask a maintenance question, so why when someone asks a mod question someone comes up with some maintenance crap.

could it just possibly be that some of us maintain our sh1t and mod it aggressively too? Is that so impossible?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 AM   #34
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
16yr old buys a wagon to stance it.. its gotta be a troll.

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #35
john311tran

My Ride: awd + 5 doors
i typed this long philosophical reply then hit go advanced instead of quick reply.

so here it is:

i think it's a stupid idea. but it's your money and you should do whatever makes you happy. too much negativity on this board. who cares if you're a dumb 16 year old who wants to rice his car. i got my wagon for a reason and you got yours for.... well, you have your reasons.

i will say that i spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on paintball in high school and i sure could have used that money during undergraduate, grad school or even now to put a down payment on a house. remember, it's just a car. no point having a fancy car only for it to take you to and from work/school.

john
john311tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #36
john311tran

My Ride: awd + 5 doors
p.s.- if you want to sell your style 45's with rubber i will buy the set of 5. pm me
john311tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:10 AM   #37
323ci newbie

Quote:
im out, i stand by what i said. His car, his money, he does what he wants. if you dont like it, dont click. dont preach to the guy, dont try to shove it down his throat. its his decision.
We dont try to shove aggressive mods at you guys everytime you ask a maintenance question, so why when someone asks a mod question someone comes up with some maintenance crap.

could it just possibly be that some of us maintain our sh1t and mod it aggressively too? Is that so impossible?
The day people like you start helping in a maintenance thread is the day we officially know the forum is doomed

Quote:
Old 04-26-2012, 01:25 AM   #38
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Well Sambo should you be 16 or just claimed that to incite a riot, I'll give you credit for that snappy come-back with the parts list. Well played. I too cringed at the thought of flying into this without knowing the must-do items for a successful mod. I hold to what I and others suggest. You start playing with a well engineered suspension you will have issues. Research, read, get a realistic budget to perform the job and do it right. Don't skip tower/shock reinforcement, camber plates, alignment and possible fender rolling. Basically, you're adding more rolling mass on the drivetrain and suspension. Things will be affected from applied stress and actually will make the heavy wagon slower.

Ask my 18 year old what he went through slamming and bagging an 80's S-10 Blazer then dropping a 350 stroked Chevy engine in it. 4-link rear axle, 3500 stall converter, on and on. He started at 16 and had it road worthy in two years with his own money. (well mostly his own money). The car is painted metallic lime green with ghost flames. Us old guys cringe when we see it but hey, it's his vision not ours.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:26 AM   #39
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo_eddo View Post
Not all of us are old. We just don't follow fads. It's your car, do what you want. I don't understand it, but I don't understand fecalphiliacs either. Neither do I care to.

If this is what picks up the hoes outside of Denny's on a Saturday night then more power to you. Just don't expect the majority of us to care.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #40
sambo_eddo

I'm not actually 16. That was sarcasm. For anybody wanting to do the same wheel setup in the future. 10" wide wheels with et25 will not fit in the front. They fit with the stock struts and stock height. With aftermarket coilovers, the backside wheel bead contacts the spring itself and would need to be spaced out about another inch. On top of that being an absolutely stupid amount of wheel poke, I also have never nor will ever use wheel spacers especially on the front of a vehicle. Because of this I was not able to use the tennis ball green wheels. I will be going with a set of wheels that are identical spoke pattern, but 10" wide in the rear 8.5" in the front with et25 all the way around and they are completely satin bronze in color. After mocking up the new front wheels to make sure they wouldn't contact the spring I think I am actually happier with the more narrow wheel up front. The KW v1's did end up lowering the car way more then I thought it would. Below is a picture of the car at it's full possible drop. I do not plan on driving it like this but I was curious as to how low these coilovers would actually lay this car out. The ride quality was actually not too bad either; stiff of course but it didn't constantly bounce, nothing rubbed and the car was as quiet driving as it was on stock suspension. The install was relatively easy for my first time into a BMW's suspension. The most time consuming part was removal of all the rear interior pieces. The new tires will be in mid next week. Currently the car is also getting a new alternator and belts (for those "maintenance focused" people who keep popping up). I'm sure I will have to do cooling system overhaul if I keep the car very long. I typically keep vehicles for about 4-6 months before something else comes through the dealership to play with. So all of those who hate me right now, you will probably be able to purchase the car at some point and get back in touch with the "ho chasing outside of Denny's" side of you. *wink*

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

ps: I'm sure I can pin point several of you guys who will assume the civic in the back ground is mine. It is actually my brother's but for the sake of keeping up the good times in here we'll say it is mine and it is madvtec jdm yo. It has several swaps all on top of one another and is like a 6 second car.......plus it's teal.

Last edited by sambo_eddo; 05-03-2012 at 10:08 PM.