E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #21
curt2199

My Ride: 05 BMW 325i
Any update on this?
curt2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #22
rdn09

My Ride: 2001 325i
Nope, nothing yet, I'm starting to think its my transmission control module.
rdn09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #23
vol96

My Ride: 2000 328i
fixed yet?
vol96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #24
Fajitas

My Ride: 04 E46
subd
Fajitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:01 AM   #25
rdn09

So after I swaped out the transmission the mechanic drove it around with the same issues for a bit until the computer read out that it needed the transmission computer reprogramed. I'm not sure if this was the transmission that caused the the computer to mess up or the computer just failing on its own. well anyways i took it to get it reprogramed and now my car works fine. In addition the benefit to Swaping it out is that I changed the oil and now it shifts really smooth.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:18 AM   #26
Fajitas

My Ride: 04 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdn09 View Post
So after I swaped out the transmission the mechanic drove it around with the same issues for a bit until the computer read out that it needed the transmission computer reprogramed. I'm not sure if this was the transmission that caused the the computer to mess up or the computer just failing on its own. well anyways i took it to get it reprogramed and now my car works fine. In addition the benefit to Swaping it out is that I changed the oil and now it shifts really smooth.
Did you have to take to the stealer to get it reprogrammed?
Fajitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #27
rdn09

Stealer? You mean dealer? No, I did have to take it to a shop more specialized in BMW than the average repair shopbut no need to go to the dealer.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #28
Shevanel

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Hey guys, I came across this today while searching for a tranny problem on my car.

I have a 2004 325xi Auto w/ steptronic. My problem occurs after letting my car sit for about 5 hours or more. When I put it in D and accelerate I dont move or at least not very fast. I will feel the tranny get in and then I can drive. However, if put my car into revers or manual I can drive right away.

Could this also be a programming error? I did go to my local shop forever ago, I cant remember what they said but I do know there was no resolution to the problem.

Ill be going to my dealer soon anyways and will probably have them look at it. Ill post back with what they say but it does sound like a very similar issue.
Shevanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #29
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shevanel View Post
Hey guys, I came across this today while searching for a tranny problem on my car.

I have a 2004 325xi Auto w/ steptronic. My problem occurs after letting my car sit for about 5 hours or more. When I put it in D and accelerate I dont move or at least not very fast. I will feel the tranny get in and then I can drive. However, if put my car into revers or manual I can drive right away.

Could this also be a programming error? I did go to my local shop forever ago, I cant remember what they said but I do know there was no resolution to the problem.

Ill be going to my dealer soon anyways and will probably have them look at it. Ill post back with what they say but it does sound like a very similar issue.
there is a recall about on some GM transmission, the seal for the 1st gear will leak after a long night park so basically there will be no pressure for the clutch to engage when you start the engine in the morning for 10-15s after engaging D.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:13 AM   #30
Shevanel

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Very interesting, thanks for the help!

Does that mean i have fluid leaking out and need to be worried? or can I live with it?
Tranny and clutch is over my head
Shevanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #31
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shevanel View Post
Very interesting, thanks for the help!

Does that mean i have fluid leaking out and need to be worried? or can I live with it?
Tranny and clutch is over my head
no its an internal leak. I think there is a software update to solve this issue.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #32
BeaMerWorld

My Ride: E46 M3 Cab
So I have the exact same issue but I'm sure mine is a bit more severe and probably done for.

So here is the case, I hit black ice and slid into the guardrail completely destroying the driver's side front end. Most of all the damage is cosmetic, no damage to the engine or tranny other than some broken lines and a pulley on the front. So I towed it home and luckily I found a totaled e46 that I got for parts as it would turn out cheaper than to buy single parts separately. So since the oil cooler line was ripped away causing damage to the radiator too I didn't want to move it because alot of ATF and coolant probably ran out. Got that repaired first and the car would turn on and move forward and backwards but obviously couldn't take it out for a test drive.

One day after some cosmetic parts replacement I decided to move it to a new spot and suddenly it will no longer go into drive. I can shift into D without a problem but the car will just rev up and not move, only moves in reverse. The transmission fault code is illuminated on the dash and when I put it into steptronic mode it shows an S and will not change gears. I did a ton of search and found many reverse problem threads but nothing for Drive problems until this thread.

So I changed the oil and filter thinking maybe the filter was clogged. Disconnected the return line from the oil cooler to run out some of the old fluid in the lines and the pump seems to be pumping oil just fine. Still no drive, only reverse without a problem. Could it be the transmission computer as well? Any suggestions. I have an extra e46 with complete engine and tranny I can use just want to reach easy tasks first before doing a tranny overhaul. (The spare e46 is totaled so I'm better off fixing mine as it only had damage to the front corner). Any ideas, pointers, suggestions, comments would be great.
BeaMerWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #33
BeaMerWorld

Ohh and its a 2002 325i. My spare parts car is a 1999 325i. Both automatics.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #34
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaMerWorld View Post
Ohh and its a 2002 325i. My spare parts car is a 1999 325i. Both automatics.
What cosmetic parts were you taking off of a 99 that you put on your 2002 model? They are different.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #35
BeaMerWorld

Mostly under the hood items, the rims, and the driver's side doors since they had the exact same interior because mine were fine but they just got a ton of deep scratches from the guard rail. The 99' car had a hit on the opposite side ... the passenger side so even if the hood were the same I can't use it.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #36
BeaMerWorld

So could my problems be the transmission computer as well? I don't really want to do a tranny swap if thats not the problem. Is there any way I can tell if it's the transmission computer before having to take it out and get it reprogrammed?

Tags
gear, oil, pump, transmission