E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 40 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #3201
Griff330

My Ride: 01 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage.com View Post
If they successfully removed swirls on the hood they would have had to have also removed the oxidation as those surface imperfections go hand in hand. The oxidation is easier to remove so I'm guessing that you may be seeing something else. Some possibilities are they left holograms in the paint, check out this article for pictures http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...ograms-formed/. This happens when there is too much heat or pressure from a buffer. Another option is it's a residue left behind by some of their product. It's also possible with a good cleaning they revealed a flaw in the paint that was hard to see previously. If you have more questions try to attach some pictures and I'd be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Here's a pic of the hood. I'm not sure what to call it but it wasn't here before the detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0094.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	447254  
Griff330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #3202
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
I'm honestly not sure what that mark is. I would try wiping it with a 50/50 mix of IPA to remove any possible polish, sealant, wax, etc. left on the surface. If it doesn't remove then I'm more concerned there is some sort of defect in the finish. Normally I would recommend you polish it out, but that may have been the cause of the issue. I would document this issue and bring it to the attention of the detail shop if you are certain it was not a per-existing condition.

Greg @ DI
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #3203
ngillan

My Ride: Is in a salvage yard
This may have been asked earlier but I really don't feel like going through 160 pages of posts. How do you feel about the "Black Box" from turtle wax? (for black cars)

'07 328i - Montego Blue

Dead
'84 Mercedes 190E
'95 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
'95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
'99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
'98 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
'99 Cadillac STS
'02 BMW 325ci
ngillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #3204
Nyman

My Ride: 03WHITE///M3
hey greg
so I've been neglecting my engine bay due to a lack of time. However I'm hoping to have some free time in the near future and I noticed that the underside of the front hood is looking a little messy. Any advice on how to go about cleaning that part of the car without getting all the water into the engine bay? Would I damage the insulation? should I just leave it alone? Thanks!
Nyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #3205
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngillan View Post
This may have been asked earlier but I really don't feel like going through 160 pages of posts. How do you feel about the "Black Box" from turtle wax? (for black cars)
Not to bash them but I just haven't heard any positive reviews of their products and probably won't test them out unless I hear otherwise. Sorry I don't have more insight on it.

Greg @ DI
Old 05-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #3206
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyman View Post
hey greg
so I've been neglecting my engine bay due to a lack of time. However I'm hoping to have some free time in the near future and I noticed that the underside of the front hood is looking a little messy. Any advice on how to go about cleaning that part of the car without getting all the water into the engine bay? Would I damage the insulation? should I just leave it alone? Thanks!
Cleaning and protecting the engine bay is actually pretty easy. Check out our step by step process here - http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/. If you have any questions after reading that please let me know!

Greg @ DI
Old 05-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #3207
jmanfredonia

My Ride: 325i
how do you guys clean your wheels? i have matte black wheels
Old 05-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #3208
odgamma15

My Ride: 2003 330 ci
HELP!

i want to take advantage of your wax sale... but I am officially confused on which one to purchase. This will mainly be used on car covered in Ford's "mineral gray" color. which would you recomend, and maybe why?

* dodo juice supernatural hybrid paste sealant
* dodo juice blue velvet hard wax
* Chemical Guys petes 53

The supernatural hybrid appeals to me the most due to its wax/sealant combo abilities, so the amount of protection this offers seems better than a traditional wax or sealant. The truck is brand new, so it only needs protection for now. Thank you in advance!

odgamma15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #3209
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanfredonia View Post
how do you guys clean your wheels? i have matte black wheels
The SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect is definitely my cleaner of choice. It's pH neutral cleaner that quickly dissolves brake dust and other road grime safely and effectively. It has quickly become one of our favorite products across the board and I'm confident it will work well on your matte black wheels too! If you need to get in to tight spaces or agitate stubborn build ups a DI Brushes E-Z Detail Brush and DI Brushes Lambs Wool Premium Wheel Brush can help. As always save 10% off with the coupon code 10offe46. Hope this info helps!

Greg @ DI
Old 05-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #3210
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by odgamma15 View Post
HELP!

i want to take advantage of your wax sale... but I am officially confused on which one to purchase. This will mainly be used on car covered in Ford's "mineral gray" color. which would you recomend, and maybe why?

* dodo juice supernatural hybrid paste sealant
* dodo juice blue velvet hard wax
* Chemical Guys petes 53

The supernatural hybrid appeals to me the most due to its wax/sealant combo abilities, so the amount of protection this offers seems better than a traditional wax or sealant. The truck is brand new, so it only needs protection for now. Thank you in advance!
Since the protection means a lot to you I would suggest the Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid Paste Sealant. It should offer the longest lasting protection and an incredible shine at the same time. It's very easy to use and as you stated our 25% off wax sale through 5/20 will save you plenty. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI
Old 05-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #3211
casdm9901

My Ride: '03 325iT
I have a question about the advantages/disadvantages of removing wax/polishes by orbital as opposed to doing it by hand. I would much prefer to do both steps by orbital to save time, but I don't want to do any damage and I'm not sure what pads to use to remove the wax/polish.

I'm sorry; I'm sure its been asked before in this thread but apparently I'm not very good at the search function because I can't seem to find it. Pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated. Thanks!
casdm9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #3212
Pete_repete

My Ride: 98 Civic, 02 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Interior Cleaning
Upholstery Brush One of the best investments for your interior carpets and mats is a good carpet and upholstery brush. Brushing your carpets and mats down prior to vacuuming and putting any chemicals on them will save you time and produce better results. It will help lift dirt and debris to the surface so you can vacuum them up easier.
Carpet Cleaner / All Purpose Cleaner I have had great luck with 303's Aerospace Cleaner and the best part about it is that it is a concentrate. So the 32oz bottle you purchase turns into about 320oz's of cleaning solution! It works great on vinyl, engine compartments, plastic, and cleaning stains off of leather. An excellent universal cleaner to have around.
Plastic Cleaner The best plastic polish and cleaner I've come across is Plexus Plastic Cleaner and Polish. Works great for gauges, instrument clusters, headlight covers, etc. and the best part is it has anti-static properties so it will help repel dust.
Vinyl Protectant 303's Aerospace Protectant is my choice for UV protection of your dash, consol, etc. It leaves a beautiful matte finish, not like its greasy substitutes that can cause glare and attract dust.
Leather Care Hands down, Leatherique's Rejuvenator Oil and Pristine Clean are the premier leather care products on the market. The Rejuvenator Oil can restore the proper oils and nutrients to help repair hard, cracked, faded leather. Pristine Clean then cleans things up and is used for maintaining your "new" leather.
Vacuum Cleaner Metro Vac designed a vacuum with the detailer in mind. With a wide array of attachments, shoulder strap, and rolling wheels, it is the go-to vacuum cleaner for the detailing enthusiast.

All of these products can be found at www.detailedimage.com

Sincerely,

George @ Detailed Image
I tried finding the 303 aerospace cleaner on your site but all I found was 303 aerospace protector. I was in an auto store the other day and found a good one. It is called immaculate aero for interior cleaner it does the same things you mentioned for the 303 cleaner. Have you heard of this one?
Pete_repete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #3213
Hellishness

My Ride: Interlagos M3 ZCP
Softest MF:
If you could recommend two towels, one for drying and one for removing polish/wax, what would you recommend? I'm really sick of towels majorly marring my fairly soft paint. Even some super soft buffing cloths that I thought couldn't POSSIBLY mess up any paint ended up ruining a polishing stage for me. This is the only thing i'm waiting on to make my next DI order.

'06 IB M3
2 E30 Verts

Last edited by Hellishness; 05-29-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Hellishness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #3214
kaboo0m

My Ride: 04 325xi
Send a message via AIM to kaboo0m
might've already been address but my issue is with overspray clean up:

-how do you get it off windows without scratching the glass
-can overspray be wetsanded off if it was accidently etched onto the clear coat of neighboring panels?
kaboo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #3215
tnickols

My Ride: Mystic Blue 04 325ci
Quick questions I have these little white marks on the passengers side behind the door and have no idea how to get them out. They are on top of the surface and not scratches. Also how would I get these hard water stains out of my trim?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1339357392.434565.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	455691   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1339357410.766501.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	455692  
tnickols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #3216
KwhyLE

My Ride: 2.5
How would I go about treating a faded CF (Carbon Fiber) bootlid? I believe it is sun damage and some of it might be from trying to hand buff it with wax.

Are there any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Rear

Last edited by KwhyLE; 06-10-2012 at 06:20 PM.
KwhyLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #3217
odgamma15

My Ride: 2003 330 ci
Can't layer promo codes during checkout?? Id like to get the 15% off and get the weekly freebie... I didn't notice you can't do that the first time I ordered through you

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

odgamma15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #3218
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by casdm9901 View Post
I have a question about the advantages/disadvantages of removing wax/polishes by orbital as opposed to doing it by hand. I would much prefer to do both steps by orbital to save time, but I don't want to do any damage and I'm not sure what pads to use to remove the wax/polish.

I'm sorry; I'm sure its been asked before in this thread but apparently I'm not very good at the search function because I can't seem to find it. Pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I would highly recommend you do not remove any polish, sealant or way with a buffer/bonnet, etc. As the product cures or dries out it you don't want to work it back in to the surface you just treated. Doing this would potentially add more swirls back in to the surface. Additionally the bonnet or foam can only absorb just so much product before it becomes saturated. I personally never use or recommend or even sell bonnets because of how unsafe I feel they are. You are much better off hand removing the excess product with a clean microfiber towel (DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel). Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI

Last edited by Greg@DetailedImage.com; 06-15-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #3219
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_repete View Post
I tried finding the 303 aerospace cleaner on your site but all I found was 303 aerospace protector. I was in an auto store the other day and found a good one. It is called immaculate aero for interior cleaner it does the same things you mentioned for the 303 cleaner. Have you heard of this one?
Thank you for checking out our site. You can see all of the 303 products on 303 brand page or the direct link to the cleaner is here:

303 Cleaner & Spot Remover
OR
303 Fabric & Vinyl Cleaner

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 06-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #3220
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellishness View Post
Softest MF:
If you could recommend two towels, one for drying and one for removing polish/wax, what would you recommend? I'm really sick of towels majorly marring my fairly soft paint. Even some super soft buffing cloths that I thought couldn't POSSIBLY mess up any paint ended up ruining a polishing stage for me. This is the only thing i'm waiting on to make my next DI order.
Sorry for the slow response here. If you or anyone else needs to reach me faster please e-mail me (see sig) and I'll get back to you in timely manner.

I understand it's frustrating to use towels that don't work as intended. We are sent microfiber towels from mfgs around the world but we're very picky about our selections. For drying the DI Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel is definitely the way to go, we sell so many of these towels and they work great and last a really long time. for the removal of a sealant or wax I'd suggest a our DI Microfiber Great White Towel. It's one of the favorite towels of Todd Cooperider one of our Ask a Pro Blog authors. If you need any other recommendations please let me know!

Greg @ DI