E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
ESTATE

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330
2001 BMW 330 questions...

Hello folks,
I am new here and have been through quite a few threads in search for some answers but haven`t really got the answers yest so I decided to post a new one.

I am after my first BMW and really would like to hear from members on a 2001 330 I am interested in Brazil.

It is a RWD automatic transmission one owner car with 52,000 mi on it and I will run a test drive soon.

Questions:

1 - I love the car looks but i love real fast cars and I`ve been hearing the stardard 2001 330 has a 5 speed steptronic auto trans that is disappointing in the lag the transmission takes to downshift and it seems underpowered... is it true? Driving it in Tiptronic mode will solve the problem for a fast pass on the road or a real quick 0 to 45 in the city?

2 - Does the 2001 330 have DSC - Dynamic Stability Control - is there any way to turn it off and will that help in automatic mode?

3 - What would be the items that break down more often? Any typical problems I could identify when driving or looking?

4 - could anyone tell me what is the difference from the models Top, Sport and Motorsport? Motorsport isn`t the M3 right, but is it much better than the standard 330?

These cars are quite more expensive in South America than they are in US or Europe so i decided spending around US$ 28,000 and the 2001 is what i can get for that price.

Attached some pictures from the ad,

Thanks alot for your input,

DJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-330I-3.0-SPORT-SEDAN-24V-GASOLINA-4P-AUTOMATICO-77101332012010710191087(1).jpg
Views:	115
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	448964   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-330I-3.0-SPORT-SEDAN-24V-GASOLINA-4P-AUTOMATICO-77101332012010710191266.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	448965  
ESTATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
E RaK

My Ride: 2001 325xit
1. I actually rather like the way the transmission reacts to throttle inputs. You won't see any downgrades here in comparison to other automatics. The thing to look out for on the RWD cars is the common reverse drum failure on ZF transmission.

2. On RWD vehicles the DSC can be partially disabled with one push of the "DSC" button and completely defeated with a long push

3. Other typical E46 issues to watch out for are rear subframe failure, cooling system (water pump, ET, etc.), and window regulators. Check for a full service history with the previous owner and have the car inspected before you buy so you know what you might be in for.

4. The 330i you are looking at is not an "M-sport" model. Those typically have different bumpers and style 135 wheels. The ZHP is the 330i with performance cams, making a little extra power. An M3 uses an engine with an entirely different block from the lesser models and puts out significantly more hp.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
lag when overtaking? did you press the pedal all the way down to engage kick down function? mines pretty responsive.
however, at 225hp, its not the fastest thing in the world you need to know.

also the pictures shows the car has sport steering but no sport seats. weird.

Last edited by jasonbimmer; 04-29-2012 at 01:07 AM.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
ESTATE

Tanks E Rak

Thanks E Rak for the info, I am curious now because I see there is basically 3 options down here, the M3 which is rare and too expensive, the motorsport and the Top (10% cheaper)... I attached 2 pics from the Top 330 (black) and 2 from the Motorsport (sylver) as they call it here...
Could you tell me if the version called Motorsport (not m3) has significant more power or performance than the other (Top) or they are real close?

I rather buy a one owner car and the one I found is the simpler model, is that really inferior?

Thanks again!

of the TYop and 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by E RaK View Post
1. I actually rather like the way the transmission reacts to throttle inputs. You won't see any downgrades here in comparison to other automatics. The thing to look out for on the RWD cars is the common reverse drum failure on ZF transmission.

2. On RWD vehicles the DSC can be partially disabled with one push of the "DSC" button and completely defeated with a long push

3. Other typical E46 issues to watch out for are rear subframe failure, cooling system (water pump, ET, etc.), and window regulators. Check for a full service history with the previous owner and have the car inspected before you buy so you know what you might be in for.

4. The 330i you are looking at is not an "M-sport" model. Those typically have different bumpers and style 135 wheels. The ZHP is the 330i with performance cams, making a little extra power. An M3 uses an engine with an entirely different block from the lesser models and puts out significantly more hp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	449567   Click image for larger version

Name:	top2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	449568   Click image for larger version

Name:	motorportt1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	449569   Click image for larger version

Name:	motorsport2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	449570  

Old 04-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
E RaK

I'm a little conflicted on what options the black car has, but it does appear to be a "base" model sans the sport steering wheel and chrome inserts in the front bumper. The only mechanical upgrades to the silver "m-sport" for your area are a little lower suspension and seats with adjustable leg supports. The cars will feel almost identical to drive, the m-sport a little stiffer! It is a matter of whether or not you will be bothered by not having the small extra features of the m-sport car over the regular model.

Last edited by E RaK; 04-30-2012 at 08:23 PM.
E RaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
ESTATE

Thanks Jasonbimmer

I have not noticed if the 330 I drove had a switch at the end of the gas like some mercedez do, so when you step hard all the way down on the gas it will downshift to 1st or 2nd gear.Iis that waht you mean?
I saw some posts where people complain about the slow reaction of the transmission when they drive around 45 and want to accelerate fast...

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
lag when overtaking? did you press the pedal all the way down to engage kick down function? mines pretty responsive.
however, at 225hp, its not the fastest thing in the world you need to know.

also the pictures shows the car has sport steering but no sport seats. weird.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
ESTATE

Well I am not sure if these 2 models are so much different either, I'd be more interested in terms of acceleration and safety items, and seems that the main differences are stetical. For driving on the streets and roads down here we need higher profile tires rather than too low, so the 17" wheel is enough...
I guess the test drive is the thing that will sell the car anyway but I want to understand the options before I have to decide,
Thanks again

l
Quote:
Originally Posted by E RaK View Post
I'm a little conflicted on what options the black car has, but it does appear to be a "base" model sans the sport steering wheel and chrome inserts in the front bumper. The only mechanical upgrades to the silver "m-sport" for your area are a little lower suspension and seats with adjustable leg supports. The cars will feel almost identical to drive, the m-sport a little stiffer! It is a matter of whether or not you will be bothered by not having the small extra features of the m-sport car over the regular model.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
E RaK

Yes he is talking about that little button when you floor it

Don't forget to look at the service history of both vehicles!

Tags
2001, 330, motorsport, transmission