E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
murph1379

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
The Millennium Futon

Since this seems to be the more useful section on e46fanatics, and I've already polluted others' threads enough with my rules-limited babble, I thought I'd start my own thread.

My car is a 2003 ZHP with no sunroof and a fixed back seat. It's used for daily driving and national-level STX class autocross. It's probably the most well prepped STX E46 in the country, though certainly I still have lots to do.

I'll start with my current driveline/DME-related projects, in order of priority...

1) Diff - When I first got my diff, the car pushed all the time. Last year I had it adjusted, so the power-on push was gone, but now it won't rotate on throttle-lift. So this winter I'm sending it to the diff builder again to get it tweaked further.

2) Headers - As this is a street-oriented class, we're required to keep cats in the system, within 6" of the stock location. That presents obvious problems for the M54. I've been working on ideas for a solution involving shorty E36 headers and custom catted downpipes, though that's on hold while I ask for some clarification from rules makers.

3) Intake - Evidence from this area suggests that a long tube intake with a velocity stack will improve power. Unfortunately our rules state that we can't cut any of the bumper plastic or remove the brake ducts, which would be required to fit all of that in there.

I have an AFe intake (with velocity stack) now, and I just found and bought the Dinan long tube intake which we know to fit without modification. I'll try to see if I can get a velocity stack onto that, or build something similar from scratch, or test Dinan vs. AFe. If I can get a smaller velocity stack that will mate to a filter roughly the size of the Dinan, that would be ideal.

4) Tuning - I have an AA tune, but it's not a proper custom dyno tune. I can't run a standalone, but our rules allow piggybacks now. I'm investigating a few different piggyback and flash-based options, though may not have money for that this year.

5) Weight reduction - I think there's probably 15 lbs to lose in the swaybars, 10-15 lbs in the headers, 8 lbs in the headlights, a few lbs in the dampers, and another 20 lbs in the seat mounts to lose. I'll do as much of this as I can this year.
murph1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
For your intake, consider checking out the Pipercross Viper that UUC used to sell. You can buy it from the UK. I've always wanted to check it out. You might still be able to make good use of the velocity stack on it without cutting any plastic, as the filter is up closer to the MAF.

Subscribed. Glad so see you start a thread!
Old 02-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
murph1379

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
For your intake, consider checking out the Pipercross Viper that UUC used to sell.
Hmm, wild design, though I've thought that part of the advantage of the longer pipe is to smooth out airflow after the filter but before the MAF. The Viper seems to be similar to what some folks have done DIY to get a tube from the Dinan "cold air" location into the stock airbox.

If I wanted to, I could make something that has a smaller filter (like the Dinan)
down low, and then a tubing expansion to a velocity stack in roughly the stock airbox location, it would have the advantages of the velocity stack, though I'd think with the piping size increase, that might negate any advantages.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
murph1379

Thought I'd update this as build season gets underway...

The first piece of the 2012 master plan has arrived:

Double adjustable Motons with 2 degrees of built in camber. (btw, the AST 4200s are for sale!)

These babies will be on the car on Saturday.

Still waiting on the diff, hotchkis front bar, a wheel repair, and custom seat mounts.

Sounds like Vorshlag is getting started on the custom headers, fingers crossed on that effort...

Trying to find some cheap 17x8.5" wheels to use for DD and cold weather autocross with some star specs, dedicating the 18x9 SSRs to the 265 Hankooks. Anyone want to buy a set of nearly new 265 Dunlops? $400. Have some wheels you'd like to sell?

BTW, I had the 265s on with the stockish suspension a couple weeks ago... fit just fine.

Haven't swapped the headlights or messed with intakes yet, but I have both the AFe and the Dinan long tube waiting for me...
Old 04-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
For those of you that don't know, those Motons are probably one of the BEST & most expensive shocks/struts on the planet ! In some cases those are more expensive than some of our E46Fanatics Bimmers.

Nice

Rob

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1379 View Post
Thought I'd update this as build season gets underway...

The first piece of the 2012 master plan has arrived:

Double adjustable Motons with 2 degrees of built in camber. (btw, the AST 4200s are for sale!)

These babies will be on the car on Saturday.

Still waiting on the diff, hotchkis front bar, a wheel repair, and custom seat mounts.

Sounds like Vorshlag is getting started on the custom headers, fingers crossed on that effort...

Trying to find some cheap 17x8.5" wheels to use for DD and cold weather autocross with some star specs, dedicating the 18x9 SSRs to the 265 Hankooks. Anyone want to buy a set of nearly new 265 Dunlops? $400. Have some wheels you'd like to sell?

BTW, I had the 265s on with the stockish suspension a couple weeks ago... fit just fine.

Haven't swapped the headlights or messed with intakes yet, but I have both the AFe and the Dinan long tube waiting for me...
My OZ wheels are 17X8 and around 15lbs. Check the for sale ad under my name.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
, I'll trade you my pinky from the first knuckle for those motons? Need child labor? Great start, can't wait to see where it ends up!
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
murph1379

Iceman - I saw your ad for the 17x8s, wish I could pull the trigger, but 8" is just a bit too skinny for competition, even 8.5" is less than ideal, but much more commonly available than 9", and so hopefully I can find some for cheap in the short term.

For anyone who's interested in getting big meats on their E46, I did notice this in the FS section, these would be the ideal wheels for running wide 265 tires without rubbing.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
murph1379

Some updates...

Got the Motons installed, so I now have a range of -2.4* to -4.8* of camber up front.

Got the custom seat mounts in, saved about 15 lbs, anyone need some nice sturdy seat mounts for sparco sliders? $100.

Got the hotchkis bar mounted up, saved about 10.2 lbs.

Our first major event is this weekend, our local opening double header. The diff is still in AZ waiting on parts, so Jim is actually sending me a Torsen diff. He's added some preload to try to prevent problems when a wheel is lifted, but I have no idea whether it'll be enough.

The advantage of a gear type diff like the Torsen is that it can transfer more than 50% of the power to the outside wheel. That could mean better throttle-steer, or it could just be a big mess! I guess we'll find out...

Still waiting on headers, and headlights/intake are kinda optional, may mess around with that when I'm bored some day.

Last edited by murph1379; 05-01-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #10
invictus

My Ride: M3, 749R, SV650
man, I want me some motons...

CCW. Dunlop. Ground Control. StopTech. Hawk. Vorschlag. Rogue Engineering. Recaro. TCDesign. RaceTech. VAC. Motul. Vorsteiner.
Find me on track: 10/19-21 Sonoma Speedway // 11/10-11 Thunderhill
The story so far...

Fund my track car:

PM me about my: stock diffuser, stock trunk
WTB 1x Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec 265/35/18 (used is okay)
invictus is offline   Reply With Quote