E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #21
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
That's nuts...I'd be f0cken livid. The MSRP on the sparrow is only $499. I'm interested to hear your review on it, while I just wait and stare at my phone waiting for a call the next 3months.
The price was no consern, after I shot it and knew they had one in stock I HAD to have it. Besides, he gave me a HELL of a deal on .50 BMG. I bought 300 blanks for $30. I've been selling them for $1 each.

As for a review.... All .22 cans are pretty much the same, it does not take much to make a good can any more. What really matters is ease of cleaning. The SS sparrow has two half shells that contain the fowling, you can literally shoot it until its a solid lead pipe and take it apart as easily as the day it was new. The element on the otherhand requires a tool and a alignment dowl thats sold seperatly (or atleast it was back then) and the baffles have to be pressed out. If it is fowled badly the element can be a PITA to take apart. On top of that the tube of the Element is carbon and could possibly rust internally if not cared for I.E. shot wet and forgot.... Pitting inside the tube would be BAD for dissasembly. You wont have to worry about putting on the SS sparrow because it's SS and the clam shell protects the tube. I'd be willing to say the SS sparrow would be safe in a salt water enviroment.

Another reasion I like the SS sparrow is the tube its self is NOT threaded, only the end cap and core is, less risk of a bur or accidental cross threading to the seralized part. Much easier just to send the core back to them for repair than going through the hassle with the ATF to ship a can back for repair.

As a compairison, the Element is par on par with the SS sparrow, sound signature is a bit different but they will both do the same job. The Element has less of a FRP while the sparrow has a bit more due to the larger internal volume but its not by much. I chose the SS sparrow even though the FRP is louder because my gear gets ran hard and put away wet. I shoot 2-3 boxes of federal 550 a weekend anymore and I MAY not get a chance to clean it after that.

If your gona be doing something sneeky the element is the can to have, as long as you keep it realitivly cheap your fine. IF you want 100% ease of cleaning the SS sparrow is the can to get.

The tac-65 is another VERY good option, It has NO FRP, its hard pressed to tell it from the element and its probably half the cost. Down side is the materials do not lend its self to dipping and its a real PITA to take apart, If you lead it up expect to use a hammer to take it apart.

BTW, the SS sparrow is rated for FN 5.7.... A PS90 is in my future.

Last edited by tailo; 05-02-2012 at 06:29 PM.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #22
brew

My Ride: F150 X5 MR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailo View Post
It was in stock and I had cash in hand so I bought it even though it was grossly over priced. Bought a CZ452 also that day although I'm not to keen on that rifle anymore.
What don't you like about the 452?

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=410199

brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #23
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
...Ok so I have a shotgun and a rifle, should I really consider buying a .22 (not silenced) over a 9mm as my first hand gun?? btw, 9 over .45 just because of cheaper ammo... I honestly DON't need a silencer in any case.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #24
tailo

If you learn to shoot a pistol on a .22 than you will be a much better shot over all.

A box of federal 550 bulk will run $20 at walmart. Do the math on how much more shooting you are able to do vs 9mm.

My suggestion for a first .22 pistol is the ruger MK series, I like the MK2 the best. You can pick them up used for $200-$250 for a base pistol. Shoot the piss out of it and if you dont like it you can always sell it for what you have in it. I've got two myself, a base and a SS heavy barrel target. I'd take a MK2 over any modern .22 pistol.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #25
tailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
What don't you like about the 452?

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=410199

It's a well built rifle but IMHO the fit and finish could be better, accuracy is OK but I've got $100 .22's that are way more accurate.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #26
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
^^ well i'm not new to shooting, I've shot many, many, many different pistols. I like the .22s but I like the feel of the XD9 and the glocks
Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #27
tailo

Well, if you like the xd9 buy one...dont let anyone tell you differently.

I've owned more 9mm's than most people and a friend of mine has a sponsorship through rainier bullets with 5 progressive presses setup. I can shoot 9 and .45 for as cheap or cheaper than .22 because the components are free via several different sponsors, I just have to supply the brass.

That said, I still have more of a use for a good silenced .22 vs a box stock 9mm pistol.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #28
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
the looks like hella fun, I'm curious about the trap you're using. details on the materials and how you built it?
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #29
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Looks like a jerry can with sand in it?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #30
tailo

bingo, jerry can with wet sand.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #31
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
cool, didn't realize that was enough to stop a .22 round.....must build one someday
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #32
tailo

The box of truth did a test, nothing was able to penetrate more than 6 inches of sand. About the only thing that jerry can wont stop of mine is my .50, I've shot .308 in it before to test a rifle.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot7_4.htm