E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
mos

My Ride: 02 330Ci
Clunking after putting on Meyle HD control arms and bushings

My original bushings went bad (~80K miles), so I replaced them with Meyle HD control arms + bushings. Soon after the Meyle were installed, the front suspension started to develop a metal clunking noise that can be heard and felt (through the floor board) on both sides. It also can be heard outside. It sounds like a metal-to-metal pop/snap.

The noise is mostly successfully reproduced by turning the steering wheel when accelerating/decelerating. Sometimes an abrupt take-off in a straight line can produces the noise too. However, going over bumps does not produce the noise.

I have searched intensively and extensively in here and other BMW forums. Two of the most helpful and relevant threads are these:
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=490479
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=587245

I had couple BMW techs inspect the suspension. Nothing could be identified as the culprit. However, as BMW techs, they don't like any part that is not OE. In one occasion, while car was driving off the edge of the garage floor to the pavement (steering wheel turned), we could hear the clunk coming directly from the area behind the front wheel. We have inspected the tie rods too. They are fine.

I contacted the vendor. While they firmly refuted the theory that Meyle causes the clunk, they admit once or twice a year, out of the hundreds of sets of Meyle arms they sell, a customer would report such a problem. They attribute it to install error and the notion the improved/tighter ball joints/bushings would exacerbate the symptoms of the weak links in the suspension. With that said, they are willing to give me a full refund.

It's about 3 months now after the Meyle went in. The clunking has gotten worse. I now also have a steering wheel shake between 60-70 mph. When I take my hands off the steering wheel, I can actually see it shimmying.

I am without a job right now. Therefore, I don't have the money to follow some of the members who replaced strut mounts, struts, brake calipers, sway bar bushings, namely the whole suspension, to chase down the root of the problem. What I have decided to do is to buy a new set of OE control arms and bushings to put back in, and then ship the Meyle to the vendor. I believe it's the most financially feasible move at the moment. Hopefully it'll return my suspension to good form and ease my anguish.

Last edited by mos; 05-17-2012 at 04:49 PM.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
probably the struct bearings are bad?
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Did you remove the end links at all? If so go back in and tighten them again. Even if they feel tight with your hand get your wrenches out and do it.
You'll need two wrenches. One to hold it while you tighten.
13mm I believe.

Last edited by peytonracer4; 05-04-2012 at 01:29 PM.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Tex323GripIsKey

My Ride: 2000 323i Green
So many Meyle went bad stories on the forum lately... not saying it's your Meyle parts that's causing it... just really making me want to go OEM forever.

Is this good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
I used to drive fast and cowboy around, but then I realized that I can't even afford bumping into someone, so now it's slow and classy, with occasional spurts of speed. Fanatics might pick on each other from time to time, but we are all one great big family that looks out for each other in the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I pull up to meets, lean to one side, shakin my finger at all da playahaterz. Then I get back into my car and flash mah beamz.
323i brakes & rotors
Tex323GripIsKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
It's your endlinks. Tighten them well. You may need a zap of an impact wrench if you can't do it by hand.

As far as your shimmying goes, you need to get a good balance job done with a place that has their machines calibrated regularly. Not all balancing jobs are equal. You also need to remove the wheels and lightly sand all hub to wheel mounting surfaces. They need to be perfectly clean. You aren't using cheapo aftermarket wheels right? And tires, what condition are they in?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
mos

I assumed I would be auto subscribed to my own threads. Apparently not...

E46Mango, brand new OE end links had been installed while trying to pinpoint the problem. The clunk was the same before vs after.

Last night, a new set of Lemforder control arms and bushings went on the car. The clunk went away immediately! The whole front end is now quiet as a mouse. It feels tighter too (which may be subjective). The day before, I followed the advice of balancing the wheels. That cured most of the steering wheel shimmying. With the OE control arms/bushings installed now, the shimmying is virtually gone.

My car is back ^_^ Alignment is in order tomorrow morning.

Last edited by mos; 05-17-2012 at 05:04 PM.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
mos

This experience made an OE(M)-only believer out of me, especially when your financial means are stretched. Thanks to Max @ oembimmerparts for his understanding and commitment to customer satisfaction, I was able to return the Meyle HD.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
Tex323GripIsKey

My Ride: 2000 323i Green
Yeah man I ordered some stuff w max, he didnt have crush washers on his site. He threw them in for free when I contacted him on FB!!! Great service. That guy is on to something..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
I used to drive fast and cowboy around, but then I realized that I can't even afford bumping into someone, so now it's slow and classy, with occasional spurts of speed. Fanatics might pick on each other from time to time, but we are all one great big family that looks out for each other in the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I pull up to meets, lean to one side, shakin my finger at all da playahaterz. Then I get back into my car and flash mah beamz.
323i brakes & rotors
Tex323GripIsKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Yep. Got my Meyle HDs from Max. They've been perfect.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #10
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos View Post
Last night, a new set of Lemforder control arms and bushings went on the car. The clunk went away immediately!
Just curious, were you able to identify any play in the ball joints or anything else that might have been causing the noise after you had the Meyle parts off the car?
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
bperalta

My Ride: 2005 325i Sedan
I got the same clunking after installing Meyle HD bushing. After 2 days triple checking everything I did; torque everything to spec over again; and checking forums to identify what did I do wrong?
The problem boils down to Meyle bushing design is not same as the OEM. The Meyle bushing outer metal cylinder where the control arm is inserted, the edges are not slightly bent out as the OEM. The control arm and the metal cylinder touch every time I hit a bump. I will replace with either a polyurethane version or OEM (not sure yet). BTW, I did a temporary fix to this by cutting pieces of the old bushing rubber and inserted in the open gaps between the metal cylinder and control arm (it's holding really good so far).
bperalta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
kimfogs

My Ride: 'Vert
Check your caliper clips!! After I did my entire front end suspension, I had the same noise. I had a bad caliper clip

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Old 11-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #13
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Did you remove the end links at all? If so go back in and tighten them again. Even if they feel tight with your hand get your wrenches out and do it.
You'll need two wrenches. One to hold it while you tighten.
13mm I believe.
I'm guessing End Links as well.

17mm or 16mm depending on which brand you have.

OP, make sure to safely get both wheels off the ground before you tighten the end links...while you're there you may as well take them off, and inspect the ball joints on the end links (they should be pretty firm, a blown end link will be floppy), and will need to be replaced.

Good Luck.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #14
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Steering rack coupler?
Old 11-27-2012, 02:07 AM   #15
boyguan

My Ride: 02 330i
On my car the bolts for the lollipops came slightly loose and just needed a turn. Could be the loose splash shield
boyguan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:04 AM   #16
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Guys look at the OP date...he solved it already too.

Bad quality control on the Meyle HD parts seems to be the issue here. I would bet a second set of Meyle HDs would be good, but I understand not buying another set and just going back to OEM. My Meyle HDs are great.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #17
Juliopinto03

My Ride: 2000 328i
I am experiencing the same issue of a "clunking"sound during speeds of 70+and turns.

Recently replaced both control arms and the right one is secure yet the left one is able to move up & down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1354209225.262414.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	480098   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1354209251.725977.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	480099   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1354209294.645484.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	480100  
Juliopinto03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #18
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliopinto03 View Post
I am experiencing the same issue of a "clunking"sound during speeds of 70+and turns.

Recently replaced both control arms and the right one is secure yet the left one is able to move up & down.
Retorque your bolts.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #19
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Place a block of wood directly under the balljoint you are tightening then jack that block of wood up a decent amount to get some weight of the car on it. Then torque the nut. i hope you're using genuine bmw nuts (brand new) i think the torque is around 48 ft lbs. (don't quote me on it though)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 11-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #20
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Meyle problems?

dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bushings, clunk noise, control arms, meyle, suspension