E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
turbo diesel

My Ride: E46 M3
Heater Core Delete (bypass)???

I know this is the track section, but still the most likely to be frequented by those that have done this and/or know how...

I am going to pull the heater core to remove the carpet (don't want to cut it) and I would like to not put it back... I would rather have A/C in the southeast than heat (for comfort and defogging).

Do you need to keep the ancillary water pump for the heater and just route the lines through it and back to the engine or can you eliminate the pump as well? If you delete the pump, can you just plug the engine ports at both ends?

Last edited by turbo diesel; 02-20-2011 at 08:33 AM.
turbo diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Cut the carpet.

You have to remove the entire dash to take out the HVAC module to free up that section of carpet. It's more work than it's worth.
PEI330Ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
turbo diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Cut the carpet.

You have to remove the entire dash to take out the HVAC module to free up that section of carpet. It's more work than it's worth.
I probably should have waited for reply for last three hours, but free time is limited, it's too late!

In for a penny in for a pound. I decided I wanted it out anyway and want to get all the unneccesary sound absorbing material out.

Now I am seeing it looks like I need to discharge AC lines to get it out so I may cut it anyway. Arrrgh... Cut carpet or not the heater core is gone now and isn't going back if I can help it.

But for the original question; can I just delete the pump and plug both ends of the coolant circuit for heater at the engine? I am pretty sure functionally it is fine, but I am wondering about causing faults in the IHKA controls.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
All you need to do is take the hose that comes out of the back of the expansion tank (#4), cut it down and plug it into the hose that goes to the back of the engine (#5) (it actually goes to the plastic pipe that runs to the front of the engine). Just use a splice that you can get at any auto parts store (I think it's 5/8").
Old 02-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
turbo diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
All you need to do is take the hose that comes out of the back of the expansion tank (#4), cut it down and plug it into the hose that goes to the back of the engine (#5) (it actually goes to the plastic pipe that runs to the front of the engine). Just use a splice that you can get at any auto parts store (I think it's 5/8").
That expansion tank does not exist... I am guessing it is for base e46... those parts aren't listed for M3 page on realoem where I linked that pic.

Yes I can run a hose to bypass the heater core, but I am wondering why not cut the circuit altogether. The main coolant route is within the engine block, that is just a path to the heater. If I plugged both ends I am just wondering: why not?

That said, it looks like there is no weight to save unless you get rid of AC too. The heater core itself is barely over 1lb. The only real reason to get rid of it is one less thing to maintain/break/leak, but if it causes me other problems then that is pointless too... there is a lot of CAN-bus BS that I want to make sure isn't going to be screwed up if keeping AC but deleting heater. Just bypassing the heater core and leaving the tubing extra valve/pump is not something I want to do.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
crayonz

My Ride: 318i 1900cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo diesel View Post
That expansion tank does not exist... I am guessing it is for base e46... those parts aren't listed for M3 page on realoem where I linked that pic.

Yes I can run a hose to bypass the heater core, but I am wondering why not cut the circuit altogether. The main coolant route is within the engine block, that is just a path to the heater. If I plugged both ends I am just wondering: why not?

That said, it looks like there is no weight to save unless you get rid of AC too. The heater core itself is barely over 1lb. The only real reason to get rid of it is one less thing to maintain/break/leak, but if it causes me other problems then that is pointless too... there is a lot of CAN-bus BS that I want to make sure isn't going to be screwed up if keeping AC but deleting heater. Just bypassing the heater core and leaving the tubing extra valve/pump is not something I want to do.
Sorry for digging up this thread. Have you done it ? How?

I am currently plugging those hoses on the electric water valve. It has no problem. However, when the climate goes a bit cooler and flapper does it job, I can feel warm air from the vent.
crayonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:08 AM   #7
turbo diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayonz View Post
Sorry for digging up this thread. Have you done it ? How?

I am currently plugging those hoses on the electric water valve. It has no problem. However, when the climate goes a bit cooler and flapper does it job, I can feel warm air from the vent.
I blocked the rear outlet in the head with a brass pipe plug in the rubber hose and a hose clamp (it is hackish).

And I went to Napa to get a freeze plug for the water pump... none of the heater circuit is left in the car.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #8
crayonz

My Ride: 318i 1900cc
Thank you turbo_diesel. This is a very useful information.
crayonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
das86turbo

My Ride: GTS4 M3, 330XI, 911
TurboDiesel - how did this work for you? I've doing the same thing in my M3 race car build. Anything that is not absolutely necessary is gone. Ignore the rubbish of not removing the dash etc. As you know (and for everyone's edification) it's a snap. The heater assembly, A/C exchanger totaled 35 lbs. Thats cheap weight savings. Especially on stuff that is not needed. I had everything out in an afternoon. Nothing damaged either.

Last edited by das86turbo; 05-06-2012 at 06:58 PM.
das86turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
KrasivataSabine

My Ride: 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo diesel View Post
Do you need to keep the ancillary water pump for the heater and just route the lines through it and back to the engine or can you eliminate the pump as well? If you delete the pump, can you just plug the engine ports at both ends?

Great thread for weight loss! Any answers to the above question from OP?

#BattleBimmer #323RS
KrasivataSabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #11
turbo diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by das86turbo View Post
TurboDiesel - how did this work for you? I've doing the same thing in my M3 race car build. Anything that is not absolutely necessary is gone. Ignore the rubbish of not removing the dash etc. As you know (and for everyone's edification) it's a snap. The heater assembly, A/C exchanger totaled 35 lbs. Thats cheap weight savings. Especially on stuff that is not needed. I had everything out in an afternoon. Nothing damaged either.
Sorry for the late response... It was working fine. I was still driving it on the street all summer 2011 but had no track time. My car has basically been parked since September 2011 waiting on the CSL airbox SNAFU (m3F group buy) and some other things in life that come up so I don't have much experience other than driving the car in the heat and humidity of the southeast that summer and having no issues (don't have viscous fan either).

I plugged the rear hose, and used a freeze plug on the water pump and removed everything.

The only issue that kind of concerns me but I never found a real answer is if coolant temps may be higher in the back of the engine because of the flow rates being affected...I assume that there is no flow in the heater core circuit unless the heater is on, but if that is not the case you may have lower flow rates the further back you go in the coolant circuit.