E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2003, 12:50 AM   #1
SmurfM3

My Ride: 2004 LSB M3
Send a message via AIM to SmurfM3
Smile Please help me with a basic upgrade for my oem harmankardon system...

I'm lookin to upgrade my M3's system because the harmankardon sounds pretty bad. I don't want to add weight because I autocross and track a bit, so I'd rather not have to replace the OEM amp (but if I have to, I will). I just wanna get a little better bass and clarity from the OEM headunit.

Can anyone provide me with a detailed description of how the harmankardon audio is wired from the factory? My idea is swapping the OEM harmankardon speakers (how big are they, btw?) with some equally-sized Focal Utopias.

Are all four OEM speakers the same? Could I just buy four higher quality speakers to replace them without upping the power on the system?

I wouldn't really be opposed to adding a tiny amp that can be hidden in the space that the OEM amp hides...

Thanks for your help in advance,
Sean
SmurfM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:16 PM   #2
SmurfM3

28 views and not one reply?

Come on guys, help me out!
Old 11-08-2003, 05:51 AM   #3
kb756

My Ride: pinto
Your best off with an aftermarket amp. The speaker size are 5 1/4"
kb756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 04:20 PM   #4
SmurfM3

Is there a tiny aftermarket amp that I can put in the place where the original one would be?

How big is the OEM amp? Are the wiring connections any different from an amp I would get from any other company?
Old 11-09-2003, 06:11 PM   #5
neosky

My Ride: E46 M3 SMG
I would recommend you replacing your OEM headunit with an aftermarket one.....it's the cheapest and it would make your stereo sound a lot better and cleaner.
ACS pedals/exhaust
HK, Pioneer AVH P6500 DVD
neosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 07:08 PM   #6
glenspeed

My Ride: '02 E46 M3
HK upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfM3
I'm lookin to upgrade my M3's system because the harmankardon sounds pretty bad. I don't want to add weight because I autocross and track a bit, so I'd rather not have to replace the OEM amp (but if I have to, I will). I just wanna get a little better bass and clarity from the OEM headunit.

Can anyone provide me with a detailed description of how the harmankardon audio is wired from the factory? My idea is swapping the OEM harmankardon speakers (how big are they, btw?) with some equally-sized Focal Utopias.

Are all four OEM speakers the same? Could I just buy four higher quality speakers to replace them without upping the power on the system?

I wouldn't really be opposed to adding a tiny amp that can be hidden in the space that the OEM amp hides...

Thanks for your help in advance,
Sean

Sean, first thing is change the front speakers and tweeters out. I just happened to do that and actually put in Focals. I don't remember which model, but it came with the tweeters and they were actually a bit smaller than the original HK front door speakers. Once I saw the HK speakers out, I realized what a piece of **** they were compared to the Focals. The tweeters were same pieces of ****. Put the Focals in and made like a 100% difference. Better sound stage imaging, better bass and way better highs. Compared with HK, there was 100% better mid and highs. You couldn't even hear the words singing in some songs the HK's were so bad. Best thing I could ever do without dropping tons of $$$ for completely new system. One thing I noticed was even though the Focals were slighly smaller, the magnet and speakers were way deeper. That's what makes the better bass (relatively speaking for mids). This is the way to go as it keeps the stock look and won't add weight. Best $$/value proposition. I also track my car, so weight is a consideration. I think I will try swapping out the bull**** subwoofers in the rear for better speakers (but same size) as well to see if it makes a difference for the bass. As you know the M3 is probably the worst sounding system I've heard.
glenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote