E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
7to3_enthusiast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 266
My Ride: '04 LSB 6spd M3
Need Advice From F/I Users

Hey guys,

I purchased my 04 LSB M3 last October and after falling in love with the overall maturity and confidence of the car I decided more power would be a great compliment to those aspects. After doing my research it became very obvious that an N/A application will not net me the power I want without significant sacrifice.

So my options are to supercharge or turbocharge...

I own a 87 rx7 TII with a single turbo (similar to a gt35r) so I've been hypnotised into believing that turbo applications are the best and I'd like to experience that feeling with my M3.

My goals are to make 450-550 rwhp, trap 125+ in the 1/4 running low 12's or preferable high 11's. I'd like to make this kind of power on pump gas (if meth is needed that's fine) because I don't plan on running with race gas more than several times a year. My car mostly sees mountain roads anyways. I also don't really want to spend more than 12k for a kit, custom or not. I'd be making 550 rwhp quite easily if I put that kind of money into my rx7 so I don't feel like that's asking too much.

I've looked at every kit I can find, the HPF stage 1 kit makes less then what I want on pump gas and also costs more. The addition of meth puts me right where I'd like to be but 15k is pretty steep considering what I'll be doing with the car. The AA, ESS, VF kits are right in my price range but power does not seem to be made until redline, ie, you're waiting for the power to come in and the youtube videos I've seen seem to confirm that as they don't seem to pull stock e46 m3's until higher up in the power band as the supercharger is pushing more boost. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.

All in all if I have to pay more then so be it, but for the price of buying a used e46 m3 I want to be dam# sure I won't regret it.

I'm 23, living on my own and I'm trying to get all this done before I settle down and start a family cuz all this will go out the door. What I'd like to hear is advice from you guys on what you would do in this situation whether go custom/supercharger kits (AA, VF, etc)/hpf kits. And those of you who have spent this kind of money, do you have any regrets? Is your car always having to get tinkered with to run right after the install kind of stuff etc.

Thanks for the help in advance guys,

~Anthony

p.s. This thread is NOT intended to talk down on other kits, please just state the experience good/bad with your own kit.

Last edited by 7to3_enthusiast; 05-08-2012 at 04:22 PM.
7to3_enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
Bdave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,827
My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Why not do a stage 1 HPF with NO meth pump (big savings) and a single tune for E70. That will allow you to run summer E85 and winter E70. A recent HPF car, Brian's is making 630 HP ALL the time now on this set up.
Canvass some shops to see if they want to give you a free or a discounted installation in exchange for publicity(logo on your car, name of shop plastered on the internet etc)

This is not very feasible if you dont have any E85 pumps close to you. I personally would buy 50 gallon drums and fill them up at outlying stations. Its so worth it. No meth costs, huge power, minimal Stage 1 price. Think about it.

There are two threads on Brians ethanol HPf burner,,one here and one on bimmerboost. Read both threads.

That will give you all the power you want using cheap "pump" gas, so to speak.
My tuner is working on putting a 93 octane tune on the same ECU as the E85 tune.
It may not be possible, or it could prove to work. More on that in a few weeks.
Good luck.
Read BOTH threads.

IF you were to go SC (don't) I would choose ESS. You dont WANT a belt or a system that is always ON. A turbo can be driven like any normal street car when it is is off boost. Go Stage 1 WITH the meth pump if you must. Loading up 4 drums of E85 might be more preferable. I pray you have a close by E85 source. That would close the deal in my mind.
__________________

Last edited by Bdave; 05-08-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
Commanderwiggin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 3,834
My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
I will advise you that you will/should upgrade your subframe, bushings, brakes at the same time among other things at the bare minimum.
Go with a Precision 6466 or 6766 Turbo, steed speed manifold...work from there. The "M" tax is not cheap
__________________
Commanderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
Forcefed M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,418
My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
I will advise you that you will/should upgrade your subframe, bushings, brakes at the same time among other things at the bare minimum.
Go with a Precision 6466 or 6766 Turbo, steed speed manifold...work from there. The "M" tax is not cheap
Go with the HPF manifold my steed speed manifold leaks all the time.
__________________
Forcefed M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Ky///m3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Louisville
Posts: 755
My Ride: 1988 E30 M3
Just do an HPF stage 1 with a 6766. Should make more than 450 on 91 no prob
__________________

2006 E46 M3 HPF stg II SOLD
1988 E30 M3 Touring Class
1995 E36 M3 I-Prepared Class
Ky///m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Bdave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,827
My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
Go with the HPF manifold my steed speed manifold leaks all the time.
They used to have problems. But the new SS rings/gaskets all but eliminated the leaking issues. Sorry to hear of your problems.

The PT6766 unit is amazing. Its something you can build on, maybe never having to go to a 71mm turbo.

CW is correct. There IS an HPF "tax": Subframe needs and better stopping power. Also the tires needed to hook up your new found power. The latter depends on which way you ultimately decide to go.
__________________
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
7to3_enthusiast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 266
My Ride: '04 LSB 6spd M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
Why not do a stage 1 HPF with NO meth pump (big savings) and a single tune for E70. That will allow you to run summer E85 and winter E70. A recent HPF car, Brian's is making 630 HP ALL the time now on this set up.
Canvass some shops to see if they want to give you a free or a discounted installation in exchange for publicity(logo on your car, name of shop plastered on the internet etc)

This is not very feasible if you dont have any E85 pumps close to you. I personally would buy 50 gallon drums and fill them up at outlying stations. Its so worth it. No meth costs, huge power, minimal Stage 1 price. Think about it.

There are two threads on Brians ethanol HPf burner,,one here and one on bimmerboost. Read both threads.

That will give you all the power you want using cheap "pump" gas, so to speak.
My tuner is working on putting a 93 octane tune on the same ECU as the E85 tune.
It may not be possible, or it could prove to work. More on that in a few weeks.
Good luck.
Read BOTH threads.

IF you were to go SC (don't) I would choose ESS. You dont WANT a belt or a system that is always ON. A turbo can be driven like any normal street car when it is is off boost. Go Stage 1 WITH the meth pump if you must. Loading up 4 drums of E85 might be more preferable. I pray you have a close by E85 source. That would close the deal in my mind.
Great info guys, unfortunately the closest e85 station is nearly 70 miles from me...so 140 mile round trip to fill up, not going to do that. I won't live here forever so hopefully the next place I live will have more stations and I could possibly do a switchover then. I haven't done my research on the 6766 turbo, I know it's a new design for HPF, anyone want to give me a quick summary on the benefits of it? More power on same psi sorta thing, better spool, longer power band, all of the above?
7to3_enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #8
Evil Twin Rob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spokane Wa.
Posts: 1,086
My Ride: 2004 M3
I believe the 6766 will be the standard turbo for all stage 1, 2, and 2.5 kits. I don't know if any stage 1 or 2 cars have run this turbo yet, so we'll have to wait and see what it does on pump only.
__________________
HPF 2.5
Evil Twin Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
proefkyle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 3
My Ride: e46 m3
Haven't posted on this account yet, but check out Saad Racing/ProEFI kits as well. Saad's turbo kits matched with ProEFI EMS will give you the availibility and power you are looking for and much more. If you ever become closer to an e85 station no extra tune is needed. The maps adjust themselves based on ethanol percentage automatically with the driver not having to change a thing. Yet you can still run 91/93 octane at all times with no problems. ProEFI has 5 stages of boost control which allows you to run 5 different maps at any given time. Saad's kits can include the PT6766 which is what everyone is talking about above^^^. Great turbos, amazing spool, absolutely no complaints there. Peak boost between 4500-5000rpms! All these things matched with the right setup and you will be in love with your car. Do yourself a favor and search around, especially on these forums, and get as much information as you possibly can about FI. It's a worthy upgrade for any m3.
proefkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #10
02black330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ^^ E46FANATICS ^^
Posts: 1,814
My Ride: spaceship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
They used to have problems. But the new SS rings/gaskets all but eliminated the leaking issues. Sorry to hear of your problems.
Thats correct, mine leaked with the copper rings that came with the manifold when I first bought the kit. I called Steed directly, he sent me a set of SS rings and no issues since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7to3_enthusiast View Post
Great info guys, unfortunately the closest e85 station is nearly 70 miles from me...so 140 mile round trip to fill up, not going to do that. I won't live here forever so hopefully the next place I live will have more stations and I could possibly do a switchover then. I haven't done my research on the 6766 turbo, I know it's a new design for HPF, anyone want to give me a quick summary on the benefits of it? More power on same psi sorta thing, better spool, longer power band, all of the above?
If I remember correctly Ray, with technically a Stage 1, put down 500 whp on pump gas with the ProEFI set up. So you can do it, just have to have the right combination of parts.
__________________






02black330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #11
7to3_enthusiast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 266
My Ride: '04 LSB 6spd M3
"We are going to be creating a stage 2.25 with the HPF/AEM which will utilize the new Billet wheel Precision 6766 turbo along with a tune modification that will raise the pump gas figures safely along with all the other 3 maps (pump+meth, race and race+meth) by about 50rwhp. This will allow all of our existing stage 1 and 2 customers to add this horsepower safely without spending a lot of money. We will be setting this up on a car shortly and I will post up the results in the next few weeks." ~HPF CHRIS

This was stated in Ray's thread comment #46. Once again I've come back to HPF, but I'll be giving SAAD racing and PROEFI a call because their websites don't quite contain enough to get a good understanding of what they offer for our M3's.
7to3_enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
7to3_enthusiast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 266
My Ride: '04 LSB 6spd M3
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...highlight=saad

Came across this thread after talking with ProEFI, nice guys btw. Seems like a simple build that net the exact results I'm looking for, at the moment at least.
7to3_enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:34 AM   #13
MarcusLSB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,363
My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7to3_enthusiast View Post
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...highlight=saad

Came across this thread after talking with ProEFI, nice guys btw. Seems like a simple build that net the exact results I'm looking for, at the moment at least.
I always avoid commenting on S/C vs Turbo threads as I've never been in a S/C E46 M3. I should really be taken for a spin in one sometime so I can better compare the two solutions.
__________________


youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #14
7to3_enthusiast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 266
My Ride: '04 LSB 6spd M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
I always avoid commenting on S/C vs Turbo threads as I've never been in a S/C E46 M3. I should really be taken for a spin in one sometime so I can better compare the two solutions.
Still would like to hear from more s/c guys here. Those kits sell for very reasonable prices, could be a good bang for your buck. The compressor whistle of a turbo always gets my heart racing though .
7to3_enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #15
Ky///m3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Louisville
Posts: 755
My Ride: 1988 E30 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7to3_enthusiast View Post
Still would like to hear from more s/c guys here. Those kits sell for very reasonable prices, could be a good bang for your buck. The compressor whistle of a turbo always gets my heart racing though .
alot of the guys who have turboed their M3's used to have supercharger setups. great thing about having a turbo these days is that they can always be upgraded and modified even further, however, with superchargers, you get what you pay for and cant really go any further
__________________

2006 E46 M3 HPF stg II SOLD
1988 E30 M3 Touring Class
1995 E36 M3 I-Prepared Class

Last edited by Ky///m3; 05-10-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Ky///m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #16
lrinco01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Arlington,TX -- Afghanistan
Posts: 953
My Ride: 01HPF Stg2 M3, 11'X5
Send a message via Yahoo to lrinco01 Send a message via Skype™ to lrinco01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky///m3 View Post
alot of the guys who have turboed their M3's used to have supercharger setups. great thing about having a turbo these days is that they can always be upgraded and modified even further, however, with superchargers, you get what you pay for and can't really go any further
Corrected.

Anthony, I am a Former Dinan Stg 2 & AA gen3 stg2 Owner. Very Dissapionted in there Level of performance, upgradability, Value & Customer Service!

Now HPF stg2 w/ AEM v2 ECU (for now).

I agree with Almost everything my Buddies above have advised( 2nd cousins really )

Soon i too will Upgrade to the PT6766 turbo, ProEFI w/ FlexFuel, etc,etc and I only drive my M3 like every 5 Months. if my kids aren't in the Car, I Decimate my Rear tires and any and every Insect in my Path

I could not be happier with the Performance,Quality, Value and Support I receive that comes with this kit.

with that said just the kit will put an everlasting Smile on your Face. no question but it more than likely will be short lived/enjoyed if the other things are not addressed i.e. Brakes,Subframe,Tires, Suspension.

I want to say that i believe it is cost effective to get what you can afford all at the time of Install but you do what you can with what you have.

I pieced my masterpiece together two or three things at a time due to budget & time.

The Kits that SAAD Racing, Maximum PSI, Technica Motorsports or Lutz Performance offer for the E46 M3 Platform are Solid kits as well. MaximumPSI is closest to you if your in VA btw

In any case we are here for you bro.

Welcome to the world of Turbo E46 M3s
__________________
Leonel Aka " Rico"
BMWCCA # 403748
01 BMW E46 M3 / 6 SPD / Tiag / Imola
HPF Stg.2 on the new Pt6766 Turbo/ Open Dump/ AA Lightweight flywheel/ Aggressive Tune good for 661 RWHP!

2012 X5D 3.5i - Family hauler
2000 323ci - work in progress - wife's D/D
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L LTD, Fully optioned up......soon TRD supercharged

FOR SALE:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727953
lrinco01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #17
7to3_enthusiast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 266
My Ride: '04 LSB 6spd M3
^^^ Thanks for the comment Rico, you guys are making my decision much easier lol. I'm glad to be part of the e46 m3 family, still have plenty to learn.
7to3_enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #18
Rockyminator
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 478
My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 M3
I've had my HPF stage 2.5 a little over a year and lets just say I still haven't gotten used to how much power my car has. Even without methanol, it gets my heart racing and puts a huge smile on my face every time I floor it! Turbo.... because you won't regret it.
__________________
HPF Stage 2.5 BMW M3
Rockyminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #19
02black330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ^^ E46FANATICS ^^
Posts: 1,814
My Ride: spaceship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyminator View Post
I've had my HPF stage 2.5 a little over a year and lets just say I still haven't gotten used to how much power my car has. Even without methanol, it gets my heart racing and puts a huge smile on my face every time I floor it! Turbo.... because you won't regret it.
Charlie says he wants his car back MEOOWWW!!!!
__________________






02black330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #20
Bdave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,827
My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
I always avoid commenting on S/C vs Turbo threads as I've never been in a S/C E46 M3. I should really be taken for a spin in one sometime so I can better compare the two solutions.
It will be a real eye opener. Years ago I got a ride in a Stage 3 HPF on pump and meth. I stepped right out of that car (within 5 minutes)into an AA SC car that supposedly did an honest 500rwhp on the dyno. It literally felt like a stock M3. I kept asking if there were any boost problems. The comparison is dramatically in favor of the turbo car.
There have been scores of guys who go from SC to turbo, but only one documented case of somebody going from a turbo to a SC'd car. That is telling also.
I am still to this day wondering why I ever bothered Super Charging my car instead of just waiting until I had the funds available to do it right.
__________________

Last edited by Bdave; 05-10-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use