E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #81
E46_330i_Stud

My Ride: 2004 330ci ZHP 6MT
Mine aren't coated and I've never had a problem with heat. My O2 wires run right beside them and they have no signs of any kind of heat damage. I can't imagine you'd see any significant power gains from coating them, especially if it cost $200.

1995 325i 5mt ArcticGrey/Dove - SOLD
2004 330ci ZHP 6MT SilberGrau/Black - SOLD
2001 330i M-Sport 5MT StaulGrau/Grey - SOLD
1992 Accord LX Sedan 275k miles all original - DAILY
2002 Chevy Suburban LT Autoride - TOY HAULER
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT - RACE TRUCK!
E46_330i_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #82
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
With exhaust gasses, keeping the velocity at it's highest point is the key to making good power. The biggest way to avoid scrubbing velocity is to keep it as hot as possible. Coating or wrapping can do that. IDK if it's worth 200 bucks, but when you're trying to squeeze every drop of power out of an N/A build it can be justified.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #83
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lejeunebimmer View Post
Alright some of this is just getting out of hand. While the aa tune could have been better I have proved with dynos that it did gain hp and tq throughout the band and at peak. It did lose some for aggie, but I get the feeling that his was a very sprecial case. Either way I like the product have dynographs to prove it made power, and would be again at that price point. I just wouldn't deal with jean which is mute point since he no longer works there.

As for the code clear its good for about 50 to 70 miles and for some people who drive/drove 50+ miles to work it wasn't worth my time to clear it out every day.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Bimmer
I saw your dyno, you had more bolt on's. A tune that was "researched and developed" for those specific "bolt on's." If it wasn't "researched and developed" for those "bolt on's..." It was marketed as such. Your car had more mods (more $) the tune costs more money than my tune.. and you still had a lower number as much as 10wtq. (Now you are out nearly 600 bones, still make less power. Still stand by AA) I need stock in this company. So either my car is so freakish... it has less mods, cheaper tune and makes more power? Or someone/somebody lied.. I drive 3 miles to work everyday, Clear on the way to work.. Check the next morning, no issues. Yes you made power over a stock tune, on a motor that had full bolt on's.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #84
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven747 View Post
you must not now anything about how they work then. you can get the tune or you can get the o2 disable flash. yes it dosent make sense to just get the 02 deprogrammed without getting the tune with it but just get the 02 disabled then get a oe tunning tune
Clearly, I don't know how they work then.. Nor does AA cause they can't tell me or you or anyone wtf their tune will do/give/take. We all agree it turns the CEL off and you still fail emissions? What else does it do?
Old 11-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #85
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
As far as I'm aware, AA just changes the values needed to trigger the CEL for the Post Cat O2's. That's it.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #86
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
As far as I'm aware, AA just changes the values needed to trigger the CEL for the Post Cat O2's. That's it.
I'm sure that is what they do. After they get into the dme, they make the value so far away from what it could be to basically eliminate the CEL. As the M3 owners know, you can't "disable" the top speed limiter. However, you can input any speed. (even if 300mph) To keep the dme from kicking on.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #87
lejeunebimmer

My Ride: 02' M3 SMG, 02' 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
I'm sure that is what they do. After they get into the dme, they make the value so far away from what it could be to basically eliminate the CEL. As the M3 owners know, you can't "disable" the top speed limiter. However, you can input any speed. (even if 300mph) To keep the dme from kicking on.

I will say this, when I plug into my car with my OBD II reader and check the ready status of the sensors, my Post Cat O2's as well as my SAP display as "Not Ready." So they were actually tuned out from AA.

I never said AA was better than Shark, nor will I argue with you that your car made more power with Shark, all I pointed out was that it didn't lose power and did indeed make me power. I even said in the GB thread that for 600 bones I would be peeved, but I got it for 350 (the same as Shark) so I could deal with it, but had it been any higher I would've been extremely upset. Anyhow, the cars now making what you were with the shark, by simply changing out the DISA and throwing on some Stett boots, and I'm sure once I throw on a proper exhaust it will come in just north 220, since its at 217 right now.
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

M3 - Not enough room to list
lejeunebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #88
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
I will say this, when I plug into my car with my OBD II reader and check the ready status of the sensors, my Post Cat O2's as well as my SAP display as "Not Ready." So they were actually tuned out from AA.

I never said AA was better than Shark, nor will I argue with you that your car made more power with Shark, all I pointed out was that it didn't lose power and did indeed make me power. I even said in the GB thread that for 600 bones I would be peeved, but I got it for 350 (the same as Shark) so I could deal with it, but had it been any higher I would've been extremely upset. Anyhow, the cars now making what you were with the shark, by simply changing out the DISA and throwing on some Stett boots, and I'm sure once I throw on a proper exhaust it will come in just north 220, since its at 217 right now.
Generic or shop scanner? About 5k difference in what they can/will do/read. I can hook up a 60 dollar scanner it tells me, MIL is ON (but my MIL is off, dashboard wise) 3 out of 5 aren't ready for emissions. I know what they are and why. SAP is deleted, the sim was a failure. (Or I was) Rear 02's deleted, etc. Now on a real scanner I can see in depth what is wrong. IE voltage outputs/inputs.. I never saw a 217 dyno plot, shark is under 300 bucks.... Hook up a GT1!! Then tell use what your car is doing!

Last edited by xixixi; 11-25-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #89
lejeunebimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
Generic or shop scanner? About 5k difference in what they can/will do/read. I can hook up a 60 dollar scanner it tells me, MIL is ON (but my MIL is off, dashboard wise) 3 out of 5 aren't ready for emissions. I know what they are and why. SAP is deleted, the sim was a failure. (Or I was) Rear 02's deleted, etc. Now on a real scanner I can see in depth what is wrong. IE voltage outputs/inputs.. I never saw a 217 dyno plot, shark is under 300 bucks.... Hook up a GT1!! Then tell use what your car is doing!
Shop. I was a tech for a local shop and had access to a snap on reader (one of the 4k ones but by the time you add euro and asian software and some more in depth stuff comes out to about 8k.) No need to preach to the choir on that one.
As for the 217 plot look in the dyno thread or my personal na build thread, it should be on the 2nd page of this section maybe the third by now.

I paid 349 including the shipping which was about 45 bones.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Bimmer
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

Old 05-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #90
lejeunebimmer

Deleted, wrong thread!

Last edited by lejeunebimmer; 05-08-2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Wrong thread!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #91
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Quote:
Small update since last time, did some interior mods (alcantara and zhp stuff) stripped out all the sound deadening from the trunk, rear doors, under the back seat, behind the seat back of the back seat, removed trunkliner, tool kit, spare tire, jack, wheel chock, and installed an etx 18l motorcycle battery (weighs 18 pounds vs. The 45 or so stocker).

Putting her on the scales this Friday, I'm anticipating 3150-3170!

Saving up for an upgraded oil pump (similar to greg vaio's one) and baffled oil pan!

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Bimmer App
sorry not to current on your mods but if your going for the upgraded oil pump then why don't you do the ati super damper so the nut dosent fall off the new pump ?
Old 05-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #92
E46_330i_Stud

My Ride: 2004 330ci ZHP 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven747 View Post
sorry not to current on your mods but if your going for the upgraded oil pump then why don't you do the ati super damper so the nut dosent fall off the new pump ?
I'm sure he'll lock tight the nut on like the ZHP's and I'm sure the new pump with have a safety pin or something as an extra fail safe.

1995 325i 5mt ArcticGrey/Dove - SOLD
2004 330ci ZHP 6MT SilberGrau/Black - SOLD
2001 330i M-Sport 5MT StaulGrau/Grey - SOLD
1992 Accord LX Sedan 275k miles all original - DAILY
2002 Chevy Suburban LT Autoride - TOY HAULER
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT - RACE TRUCK!
E46_330i_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #93
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
LOL

OH Steven...you have much to learn.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #94
lejeunebimmer

Deleted, wrong thread!

Last edited by lejeunebimmer; 05-08-2012 at 09:04 PM.